Airfix 1/48 Westland Sea King HAS.1/5/HU.5 new tool

4 hours ago, MikeDadofFour said:

Would be great if it could be adapted to the SH-3G/-3H config for USN as a replacement to the HAS kit.

While the HAS kit is nice for it’s age, at has closed doors and no cabin.

It would require some big mods on the fuselage...

But for us Westland fans this is fantastic news!

For those interested, a former driver of these - and who had some involvement in the kit's development - takes an in-depth look at it as the opener to a 'Work In Progress' thread over at Britmodeller:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235128424-sea-king-has1-xv666-826-nas-hms-eagle-1970-new-tool-148-airfix/

Edited by andyf117
2 hours ago, ST0RM said:

I wonder if they'll expand the kit to include a Junglie

Crisp's photos show both a 'Commando Step', as fitted to the HC.4 (and, in a modified form, to the Mk.50), and a pair of AN/ALQ-157 units...

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

What’s a “Junglie”?  I just hope they do an AEW and HAR 3 with Falklands markings to replace the Hasegawa kits in my stash.

In the case of the Sea King, the HC.4 (derived from the export 'Commando' version), used by the squadrons of what eventually became the Commando Helicopter Force, known as the 'Junglies' - they originally almost exclusively transported/supported the Royal Marines, before CHF became part of JHC...

....the nickname  'Junglies' was coined for the Whirlwinds which first operated in the CHF role, and was successively passed down to the Wessex and then Sea King, and now the Merlin HC.4...

1996250003_NavyNewsJune2012Issue695a.thumb.jpg.12fd53659f3fe0c3a4cebf1c1d69235a.jpg710164906_NavyNewsJune2012Issue695b.thumb.jpg.c6c1e3b141b4fc81cc75801b3d7b77f8.jpg2025479744_NavyNewsJune2012Issue695c.thumb.jpg.5722cf76c683a4416dde3638ba870c8f.jpg476383449_NavyNewsJune2012Issue695d.thumb.jpg.c1912667dcd47b56ac40c7c7c5734859.jpg

As with the HC.4-specific part shown in Crisp's sprue shots, indications are that the HAR.3 version is likely to follow (and possibly the similar Mk.41/43/48) - he does, however, suggest that the AEW.2 (and later ASaC.7) are unlikely to appear, due to more extensive changes being needed.

Edited by andyf117
3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

What’s a “Junglie”?  I just hope they do an AEW and HAR 3 with Falklands markings to replace the Hasegawa kits in my stash.

As Andy explained, they are/were the troop transport/utility variant of the Westland airframe.

junglie000.jpg

junglie001.jpg

junglie002.jpg

junglie003.jpg

A

1 hour ago, Hajo L. said:

A curious side question: This "green-white" camo-scheme of the Junglie... Is it a real scheme or just some commemorative painting?

HAJO

Andy probably has a better take on this but I think this particular airframe was an anniversary scheme. However, I believe it reflects the use of arctic camouflage when Junglies were deployed to Norway on a regular basis for exercises.

Just as a random aside, the Royal Navy and Royal Marines refer to their transports as Junglies. However, the army have long referred to RAF Wessex and Pumas doing a similar role as 'cabs' (you call a cab when you need one).

Edited by John Tapsell
On 7/27/2023 at 3:20 PM, andyf117 said:

he does, however, suggest that the AEW.2 (and later ASaC.7) are unlikely to appear, due to more extensive changes being needed.

Assume the extensive changes they are talking about are for the cabin?  Other than the radome, the exterior looks pretty standard with regards to antennas and other lumps and bumps.  If Airfix doesn’t do an AEW, I may just do my own using the aftermarket deflated radome that I bought for the Hasegawa kit and keep the cabin door closed.

Edited by Dave Williams
10 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

Andy probably has a better take on this but I think this particular airframe was an anniversary scheme. However, I believe it reflects the use of arctic camouflage when Junglies were deployed to Norway on a regular basis for exercises.

Quite correct - the HC.4 squadrons regularly participated in arctic and mountain warfare training exercises in Norway, and temporary white camouflage was applied to the aircraft; some engaged in the IFOR/SFOR missions also carried the scheme:

Sea_King_HC4_with_PM_John_Major_Sarajevo

00083865.jpg

9 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Assume the extensive changes they are talking about are for the cabin?  Other than the radome, the exterior looks pretty standard with regards to antennas and other lumps and bumps.  If Airfix doesn’t do an AEW, I may just do my own using the aftermarket deflated radome that I bought for the Hasegawa kit and keep the cabin door closed.

As Crisp puts it in his BM thread referenced above: "Because of the comprehensive interior in this kit, I reckon AEW2/ASaC7 is the least likely future boxing - they’d have to completely redo the interior, as well as the more obvious door mod and the colostomy bag." As a former 'Pinger' (and later SAR pilot), note his slightly derogatory term for the inflatable radome - the AEW crews were known as 'Baggers'!

10 hours ago, John Tapsell said:

Just as a random aside, the Royal Navy and Royal Marines refer to their transports as Junglies. However, the army have long referred to RAF Wessex and Pumas doing a similar role as 'cabs' (you call a cab when you need one).

FAA crews themselves also referred to their aircraft as 'cabs', regardless of role...

Edited by andyf117
On 7/26/2023 at 8:22 PM, Winnie said:

It would require some big mods on the fuselage...

But for us Westland fans this is fantastic news!

Maybe for an -H but an A or early D the mods look minimal on the exterior

5 hours ago, zerosystem said:

Maybe for an -H but an A or early D the mods look minimal on the exterior

Main things would be removal of the third generator bulge on the port side of the 'doghouse' which was specific to the Westland versions, and addition of the roughly diamond-shaped fairing under the nose...

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

removal of the third generator bulge on the port side of the 'doghouse' which was specific to the Westland versions

For what I could see it appears that is built into the mold and not a separate piece like some 1/72 kits making the fix a little harder. Can anyone confirm that?

14 hours ago, Tank said:

For what I could see it appears that is built into the mold and not a separate piece like some 1/72 kits making the fix a little harder. Can anyone confirm that?

It is in the mold yes. Not impossible, but a pain for sure.

• 4 weeks later...