On 8/19/2023 at 2:48 AM, utley said:

Anyone looking at this model now, stuck on the instructions on the main rotor hub: the instructions do not do justice describing how this assembly goes together.

b2z4lM0.jpg

The center piece has a groove around the diameter of the rotor shaft (swash plate?). In between that groove are 4 points that attach to the main hub that act like roller pins that control the pitch angle of the blades. Those points are mechanically linked to the individual rotor hub and are generally free floating. Pin lines up in the hole, which in turn lines up in the track. This plate gets installed before those pieces do, and the holes should be pointed outboard of the mast. One probably wouldnt understand how this thing actually goes together unless you sit for a while and try to hammer it out in your head. I didnt notice this after the fact, but I managed to salvage it barely. All in all, this hub on its own is over 30 pieces. If I do do another Apache, this will be the first thing I correct on my build.

So, Interesting fact about the Apache rotor head. That is called the droop-stop ring, and it prevents the rotor hub from drooping excessively when not turning. The "pins" have springs behind them and that piece is only held onto the rotor head by those pins. It is a completely free-floating piece. 

4191.jpg

Weathering coming along nicely. Still got a bunch of things to paint on these such as bluing and such. Bit more weathering and Ill close up the engine bays. Might just leave these removable or install a magnet to hold the covers in place. About halfway done detailing these. Only references I could find to suggest a color layout were T-701 engines. While the E variant has T-901, Im certain they are the same family with upgrades.

sdUCo0x.jpg

gZD9tyd.jpg

Edited by utley

Hoping someone can verify this, though Im pretty certain Im right. These exhaust nozzles should be parallel to the inbd side of the exhaust fairing and these are not even close. They look like they're off by about 15 degrees.

NGGK9QB.jpg

Dang, those engines look amazing.   I'm kicking myself for not trying to build one of them on my Apache.    BTW, don't know if you are interested but one thing Takom missed was that there is a bulkhead aft the engine that the three diffusers pass through.    Not very visable if the nacelles are sealed up but it's noticable if you are leaving them open.    Keep up the great work! 

375677364_10225870262557172_315369092645

Wish I would have seen that before last night when I glued the exhaust fairing on them..I figured there was a bulkhead there, but looks like theres also heat shielding around the base of the diffusers too. Oh well...Ill do it on the next one. I ordered an Israeli AH-64I that Im going to work on side by side with this model since this one has so many installation errors. I normally bounce around in the instructions building small assemblies first but you cant do that with this model.

Edited by utley

Just got my AH-64I Saraf Takom kit today. I am absolutely loving building this kit, but these instructions....holy hell. No paint instructions on this either, but this kits not even telling me the bare minimum paint required like the other kits do. This ones going to be a bit different, so Ill be building this one simultaneously with the E. I still have to figure out my issue with the cockpit, may have to keep the lids closed or remove altogether the armored glass partition in the cockpit and just install the door frame.

21 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

Get the Isradecal sheet for the kit.  Aside from paint instructions, you get decals that actually work, unlike the Takom ones.  Or, you can just download the instructions for the sheet from the Isradecal site.

Have an idea? The 3 brown colors on this kit look kind of drab to me and Im not really familiar with Israeli helicopter paint schemes, and I really like their squadron markings on their F-15s and -16s. Kinda want to go a similar way.

50 minutes ago, utley said:

Have an idea? The 3 brown colors on this kit look kind of drab to me and Im not really familiar with Israeli helicopter paint schemes, and I really like their squadron markings on their F-15s and -16s. Kinda want to go a similar way.

Have an idea for what?  They are only painted in one scheme, and only flown by one squadron.  They all look the same, except for different numbers.  If you want to go what-if, then it really doesn’t matter that the Takom instructions are inadequate.

Again Im not really familiar with the IAF, Id like to go the route this builder did. Ill admit, Im really surprised they have side vented exhaust and not the up turned exhaust nozzles

Engine nacelles finished, putting them aside for now. Have some serious cleanup work to do on the intake side of the house, and then on to the smaller details on the aircraft. The cowling is unglued and Im going to think about setting this set aside and build a spare set in case I cant fix the cockpit and decide whether or not its going to be opened or closed 100%. Might do a blade fold rig on the Saraf instead.

qyh8cEL.jpg

K5lHOee.jpg

nfTi5cD.jpg

XeI1yUX.jpg

Edited by utley
2 hours ago, utley said:

Again Im not really familiar with the IAF, Id like to go the route this builder did. Ill admit, Im really surprised they have side vented exhaust and not the up turned exhaust nozzles

Few, if any, Apache users have upgraded to the upturned exhausts.  Maybe cost, or maybe technology restricted for export.  In any case, the Sarafs are highly upgraded in their own right, including having six countermeasure dispenser modules, as compared to three on US Apaches.  Plus, given the relative anti-air technology of their neighbors, it’s probably not necessary.

Taking a small break from the E and building up the Saraf cockpit for the moment. Im waiting on a few things from ResKit to be sent; the M299 missile rails in their :35 kits are warped and were manufactured that way, so Im waiting on replacements for them before continuing. Also trying to do some real time troubleshooting how the door frame in the E cockpit wound up 2mm further than it should have been, so Im doing some dry fitting on a fully complete cockpit that hasnt been installed yet to see where the problem lies. Im thinking the problem lies on the pilot instrument combing where they located the armored plate glass too far forward. Ill find out soon.

Reskit also came out with a new M230 gun in 2 positions: parked and flight. Im also waiting on a new AMASE pod from JPL to be released out in the wild...or might have to find one from a kit that already has one.

Edited by utley

Im looking at possibly making it a RNLAF AH64E on my spare kit. Its roughly still 99% intact at the moment. Most likely the demo model since it would be great practice to spray that specific paint scheme.

Edited by utley

That demo aircraft is a D model, not an E.  The RNLAF only bought D models.  They are getting them upgraded to E standards, but the first ones were only delivered late last year or early this year, and went to a training unit.  The photos I’ve seen of their upgraded Es don’t show the upturned exhausts.  Also, the first one has the MWS on the wingtips, which precludes carrying AMASE pods there.

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2022-10-26/first-ah-64e-apache-guardian-netherlands

The spare kit I have has parts for both a D and an E, swept up exhaust or side pipes, likewise with the TADS/PNVS. Itll be good. The only thing that will be a definite E model are the rotor blades and thats an easy fix.

Edited by utley

Ok, for a change I did the Red Fox cockpit upgrade for the Saraf kit. Just about done, gotta figure out how to do the seats since this didnt come with it. Think one of my other kits has seat belts, but if not then Ill just get the eduard cockpit set for it. Also some small details to be added to the collective next as well.

bC7uHrp.jpg

gBI2A8t.jpg

oLBHRtf.jpg

UqVhXg9.jpg

AdODsR7.jpg

XiUv0n3.jpg

...and blown away by the door frame and armored pane off by the exact dimension as the other. Maybe its "this" cockpit doors and windscreen, but thats 3 kits now with the same exact issue. I "have" to be doing something wrong here because not many -if any- people complaining about poor fitment here.

Also found me a set of M291s with reloadable rockets for the build. S/B perfect!

https://blackopsmodels.com/en-us/products/black-ops-models-1-35-m261-hydra-70-19-shot-rocket-pod-with-70-assorted-warheads

Cpp6ykd.jpg

IVuOmXh.jpg

COGAUIF.jpg

Edited by utley