Corsair II A7E exhaust bay colour?

I'm building the Revell/Hasegawa kit and it says in part 11 of the instructions to paint it a matt sandy yellow.  Is that correct?   And if so any paint recommendations?   I've done many searches on Google but can't find any decent pictures of the exhaust bay....only this site which has rc planes and has that area looking yellowish.....

https://www.jethangar.com/Aircraft/Corsair II/A7.html

It's zinc chromate (yellow), same color as the avionics bays.

I only use Model Master so I can't suggest paint brands unless you can find the 1/4 oz. small square bottles from Testors, #1184.

Steve

Edited by A-10 LOADER
6 hours ago, BillS said:

Actually I’m going with epoxy polymide primer fs 34552. I’m not sure exactly when but zinc chromate’s use was terminated decades ago.

Well it *was* decades ago when I worked there.  Many decades ago...  :coolio:

And I should have been more specific - it was yellow zinc chromate (vs green)

Compare polymide primer to yellow zinc chromate side by side. They’re not the same. Polymide epoxy was used throughout the F-16 and F-111 as well. I saw lots of them especially at Nellis when the 4450th used them in the ‘117 program.

I’m thinking now that 34552 is not the right shade for the primer used on the A-7. That is the color for the F-16 and I believe the ‘111 however. Either way here is a good example of the A-7s color: BTW, zinc chromate’s use was stopped because it is highly carcinogenic.

IMG_2043.png

8 hours ago, GW8345 said:

I can't access the Nimitz photo's for some reason but from what you're saying the chromate was still in use in the mid 80's?

Thanks guys.   I should've mentioned that the 2 aircraft on the instruction sheet (not sure which one I will be doing yet) are VA 192 Golden Dragons USS Kittyhawk carrier air wing CVW-11 1971 and VA46 Clansmen carrier air wing CVW-3 USS John F Kennedy US Navy operation Desert Storm Persian Gulf 1991.   I'll probably be doing the earlier 1971 version though.  

Interestingly the photo's of the completed model on Revells box shows the 71 version as having those electronic access areas being painted like an olive green.   I take it that's incorrect?

Am I correct in thinking that the 71 version has the yellow zinc chromate whilst the 91 version would have the more sand like colour (similar to 34552 polymide primer) like in BillS's earlier and last photo?

Edited by Nightfighter

Jake's "Modern SLUF Guide" has extensive photo coverage of the aft fuselage interior, with the caveat that the depicted airframe is a Greek A-7H.  Having said that, all A-7 versions were built and painted at LTV.

6 hours ago, BillS said:

Being yellow green in color does not make it zinc chromate. Modern day primers may be yellow or yellow green but their compositions are different. 

Maybe but all the A-7E's I saw on the flight line at NAS Cecil Field had zinc chromate painted on the interior areas (except for the cockpit).

We aren't talking about modern day primer's, the primers we are talking about are at least 34 years old or older.

Kind of funny how the spray paint we used to do touch ups for panels (inside) was labeled yellow zinc chromate.

11 hours ago, BillS said:

I’m talking about F-111s, F-15s, and 16s. Those are way beyond 30 years and none had zinc chromate from the factory. The Air Force stopped ZCs use in the 70s due being highly carcinogenic.

I work for Boeing, we still use the modern equivalent of yellow zinc primer on some areas/parts depending on the finishing specifications.  We will even sell it to customers in rattle cans!

https://shop.boeing.com/aviation-supply/p/0084331=33

Instead of obsessing over the name of the primer or how the formula changed, you should be focusing on duplicating the actual color.  There is no debating the photos posted in this thread, the A-7 bays/exhaust areas were painted a mustard yellow that resembles the paint commonly referred to as "yellow zinc chromate".  Some were obviously done up in green.

59 minutes ago, sigtau said:

I work for Boeing, we still use the modern equivalent of yellow zinc primer on some areas/parts depending on the finishing specifications.  We will even sell it to customers in rattle cans!

https://shop.boeing.com/aviation-supply/p/0084331=33

Instead of obsessing over the name of the primer or how the formula changed, you should be focusing on duplicating the actual color.  There is no debating the photos posted in this thread, the A-7 bays/exhaust areas were painted a mustard yellow that resembles the paint commonly referred to as "yellow zinc chromate".  Some were obviously done up in green.

That's quite logical.

sigtau

indeed, the boeing spec is for mms 425 non organic primer. It comes in yellow and famously blue-green metallic on the F-15. I believe it comes in white as well. PPG, Desoto and others make it. In the end what matters is matching the color to your specific modeling endeavor, zinc chromate or not.

For any reason you’re not able to find a good Yellow Zinc Chromate you may consider Tamiya XF-4 YELLOW GREEN as a possible substitute. 

I’m NOT saying this is the correct correct color, however it agin may prove useful as a close match in a pinch. 

Good luck on your search and build. Hopefully you will fine the Yellow Zinc Chromate. 

Best regards,

Mr.Happy 

1 hour ago, BillS said:

sigtau

indeed, the boeing spec is for mms 425 non organic primer. It comes in yellow and famously blue-green metallic on the F-15. I believe it comes in white as well. PPG, Desoto and others make it. In the end what matters is matching the color to your specific modeling endeavor, zinc chromate or not.

I would say you are looking for this color:

https://spruebrothers.com/gunc352-chromate-yellow-primer-fs33481-flat-75-gunze-sangyo-mr-color-paint-line-10ml/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...