What's the unknown pod attached to this H-6K

I'm gathering data and pix for a future build of the PLAAF's version of the Tu-16 Badger. Can anyone give me some idea/explanation of just what this "pod" is? If you look closely at the pic. The pylon, which the pod is attached to, doesn't look to secure.  Any help is appreciated! 

r-Xian_H-6K_landing-Unknown_Aft_Pod.jpg

First, I’m not sure that’s a real aircraft.  Looks more like a digital rendering.

But what pod are we talking about?  The one by the right rear main gear wheel?  The fact that one end of the pod overlaps the tire suggests that it’s outboard of the wheels, and not under the rear fuselage.  If it is outboard of the wheels, what it’s attached to?  Also, there is the funky angle of that pylon, which doesn’t make sense, plus it would make more sense to be attached to that small outboard underwing pylon.

If it does really exist, I’d bet more that it’s an ECM or ESM pod.

2 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

First, I’m not sure that’s a real aircraft.  Looks more like a digital rendering.

But what pod are we talking about?  The one by the right rear main gear wheel?  The fact that one end of the pod overlaps the tire suggests that it’s outboard of the wheels, and not under the rear fuselage.

The picture is the same as one on the Wikipedia page about the H-6 - which may make it real.  What appears to be the pod overlapping the wheel is actually a grey patch on the tyre - similar ones are visible on the other mainwheels.  So the pod is on the rear fuselage, although they could definitely have done a better job fairing it in.  Some sort of data link looks about right.

Hasn't the Badger changed?  New radar, six missile stations, engines off the Tu-143 ... before long it'll be like Trigger's broom.

Thanks for all of the assists people!!! I'm going to go with "Data-Link pod... And yep Pigsty, I got the pic off of Wikipedia's page...

57 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

The H-6 is a license-built version of the Tupolev Tu-16 BADGER, albeit modified.

I'm not sure "license-built" is correct. Either way it's not a Badger.

Edited by Sabrejet
7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

So what's the difference between a data link pod and a targeting pod?

A data link provides a means to send your "picture" from sensors to other users and Operations Control. It allows many assets sharing information giving way better Situational Awareness. In NATO circumstances they use Link 11, 14 and 16 to transmit this info.

A Targeting pod allows the carrier to aim a "smart weapon" that it doesn't have internally. Like Sniper on an F-16 (in the good old days) as opposed to an F-35 who has some targeting ability built into the airframe.

Cheers

H.

53 minutes ago, Winnie said:

A data link provides a means to send your "picture" from sensors to other users and Operations Control. It allows many assets sharing information giving way better Situational Awareness. In NATO circumstances they use Link 11, 14 and 16 to transmit this info.

A Targeting pod allows the carrier to aim a "smart weapon" that it doesn't have internally. Like Sniper on an F-16 (in the good old days) as opposed to an F-35 who has some targeting ability built into the airframe.

Cheers

H.

Many thanks!