Lockheed Martin KC-130J Hercules, German Air Force ( Zvezda 1/72 Scale )

After building a few C-135 Withe Tops, I need a change. The German Air Force's brand new KC-130J and C-130J-30 and the beautifully built AC-130J model of A-10 LOADER (Many thanks to Steve for inspiring me to build a C-130) inspired me to build a German KC-130J. It's a daring project because there isn't much information or good pictures to be found yet. I also don't know what color the German C-130s are painted. FS36118 or RAL 7016? Whatever, I'll give it a try. The starting model is the Zvezda kit of the C-130J. A nice kit, but it needs some changes and additions. Maybe one or the other already has more information. I would be thankful.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Edited by AWACS-RESIN
Title
  • AWACS-RESIN changed the title to Lockheed Martin KC-130J Hercules, German Air Force ( Zvezda 1/72 Scale )

Bravo Jost! 

Wonderful beginning to the KC-130J.  Your updates to the Zvezda kit are spot-on!  Quick question: in your last photo, are the horseshoe and RHAWs fairings vacuformed pieces or resin castings?

Kind regards,

Dutch

Edited by Dutch
10 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Bravo Jost! 

Wonderful beginning to the KC-130J.  Your updates to the Zvezda kit are spot-on!  Quick question: in your last photo, are the horseshoe and RHAWs fairings vacuformed pieces or resin castings?

Kind regards,

Dutch

Thanks Dutch.

I took the fairing from the AC-130J and made them from resin. Later for the German Herc, they need slide modifications.

Wow Jost great start, all the scratch-built items looks great ! Thanks for the shout out and the kind words. Looking forward to seeing more.

Steve

Awesome, I have the German J models on my list to do. Very excited when Germany selected the C-130's Watching this with great interest, your amazing work on the -135 series is impressive and now doing my favorite aircraft, could not  ask for more. I am working on a Zvezda H model, so we will see how that  goes, since I haven't done a model in 30+ years. Just a question on the Chaff/Flare air deflector horseshoes, those are included in all the Zvezda C-130 kits, part numbers H66 and H67, you didn't use the ones from the kit? Again great work so far and look forward to more.

Best regards

Ty

1 hour ago, HERC164 said:

Awesome, I have the German J models on my list to do. Very excited when Germany selected the C-130's Watching this with great interest, your amazing work on the -135 series is impressive and now doing my favorite aircraft, could not  ask for more. I am working on a Zvezda H model, so we will see how that  goes, since I haven't done a model in 30+ years. Just a question on the Chaff/Flare air deflector horseshoes, those are included in all the Zvezda C-130 kits, part numbers H66 and H67, you didn't use the ones from the kit? Again great work so far and look forward to more.

Best regards

Ty

Thank you, Ty.

Yes, I used the kit parts but altered them before like Steve did on his great Ghostrider. Also casted them for more models.

Jost

• 2 weeks later...

Continue on the Herc with the optical sensor on the nose dome. Since I still don't know 100 percent whether the color is FS36118, I did a test painting with Xtracolor FS16118 on the vertical stabilizer, the tanks and the engines. Comparisons with good pictures show that the color fits well. I will paint the whole model with the color. If it was a different color number, I was out of luck. Then the other Luftwaffe C-130J-30 that I would like to build will be sprayed in the other color.

9.jpg

9a.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

That looks really good so far! Only critique I'd have is the IDS ball is just a bit further back and the radome has a horseshoe

cutout so maintenance can open the radome to work on the radar with the IDS ball in place. 

Cheers...Ron

Posted (edited)

Thanks all for your comments.

More work on the KC-130J. I painted the fuselage and after drying I did some masking for more painting. The base of the EO/IR was changed.Thanks Ron. I found a good close up pic. If I install the EO/IR I don't know yet. I am not satisfied with it.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Edited by AWACS-RESIN

I love it! But.... are there really different numbers? Numbers on the front read 5979, while o bthe fuselage are 55+06.

HAJO

2 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

I love it! But.... are there really different numbers? Numbers on the front read 5979, while o bthe fuselage are 55+06.

HAJO

Hajo,

55+06 is the tactical number and 5979 is the serial number which  appears on the tail together with the A/C type (Luftwaffe C-130J 5979) and on the Herc additional below the cockpit.

Greetings

Jost

Looking good Jost ! Having the wings fit the fuselage so well makes it very helpful for painting purposes, so much easier.

Steve

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Looking good Jost ! Having the wings fit the fuselage so well makes it very helpful for painting purposes, so much easier.

Steve

Yes Steve.The fit is perfect and makes it really easy.

Jost