Whew! That was a fun group build. This is it for me. I've got a couple others in progress, but they aren't going to make it for the deadline. Here's R/M's original release F-14. The only thing I've done to the kit is to add the alpha probe, FOD covers, and a TCS pod from Steel Beach. Everything else is the way it came out of the box. The panel lines on the forward fuselage that got decimated in the sanding process are drawn on with an ink pen using Post It's for the straightedge and a template for the access hatches. The other panel lines are done basically the same way using the raised lines as a guide. This will eventually be an FSM article as a kind of farewell to the Tomcat.

mav1.JPG

mav2.JPG

mav5.JPG

Edited by Darren Roberts

mav5.JPG

That is SOOOO cool (pardon me for sounding like an adolescent) Did you do the decals yourself, Darren, or did you find them printed somewhere?

I'm thinking of doing a VF-41 F-14A Tomcat (akin to my fiction writing) with Maverick and (Cougar's RIO). Can you believe a Lieutenant Commander Pete Mitchell?

"...and Maverick and Goose ... "

[cough]"Maverick and Goose !?!"

Excellent Job Darren !!! Testors' decals from way back when ???

Nice use of ink and beautiful weathering !!! :cheers:

Gregg

"... is this your idea of fun, Mav?"

Beautiful work, Darren! I'm glad we were in the room when you made the decision to build this bird as you did (I seem to recall you asking John and I if you should go "all out" on it, or build it OOB with minimal upgrading). It looks outstanding!

The Revell kit decals actually look better than I figured they would... a definate bonus!

Excellent work Darren. Only a couple of critiques though. IIRC, the modex numbers on the Tomcats from that movie were black, not dark gray. Also, the kit burner cans are inaccurate for anything other than a Tomcat prior to launch, as when the plane is parked on the ground, one TF-30 nozzle is open and one's closed due to the Alpha Tomcat's shutdown procedures.

Darren - Love the jet!! Haven't seen a better movie tomcat before. btw- mail outgoing for you this week. sorry it's been delayed.

Teet - as far as your comments, I've seen plenty of tomcats with both engines open on shut down, just so you know.

keep up the great tomcats!

-bp

Wasn't there another Tomcat done in the same markings, only with a 114 Modex on it??????

Yes, there was. IIRC, they switched between 104 and 114 frequently during the movie. One of the little 'goofs' of the film.