Huge Conocorde nose problem

Hey Guys,

I think I just made a huge mistake. After assembling the nose on my Concorde, I added about BBs in there and put some ambroid plastic cement in there to keep them in place. This morning, I went to check on it and I saw most of the nose was melted. Does anyone know how to bring this back into shape?

Thanks

IMG_0300.jpg

OW...

man, i am SO sorry to hear/see that...

the only thing i can think of is lots of putty and some time with the flexi-file sander...

some of the pros should be able to help you along better though...

for future reference, i used blu-tak to hold my BBs in in my radomes... no melting

hth...

good luck!

TB

Listen to the wise words of Kiwikitbasher.I would be tempted to drill a few holes in the affected area so the filler has a good key to the plastic.

Peebeep

Edited by peebeep

First thing to do is stop working on the thing. Give it air and lots of it.

The obvious thing to do is get some new parts but if that fails you have to let the chemical reaction finish completely. Only when the cement and plastic have stopped reacting and the plastic is firm again will it be safe to go back to it. Use the usual tests - smells like glue, it's still not done. If you can mark the exterior with a fingernail, you need to wait some more.

Can you separate the pieces and free the BBs? Perhaps drill some air holes in the damaged area? That ought to help air the thing, though it invites more distortion.

If you do go back to it too soon, the chemical reaction inside the piece will continue. Even if you achieve a perfect finish don't be surprised to see the same thing reappear, perhaps weeks from now. Disaster.

I think it will take a long time for the whole reaction to dry, as Ive had experiences with stuff like this drying before. I'm going to order the part from Revell, but my kit is a Revell Germany, not a Revell-Monogram. Does anyone know if I can get Revell Germany parts from that website David Hingtgen mentioned.

Thanks

could not be easier, just order the part and sit back and wait.

you will get it in around 21 days or so.

Here is the website to go to...

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

This is really not a difficult fix. Just throw a bunch of tamiya putty on it, let dry and sand it down. I'll bet the whole sanding process takes less than 45 minutes... maybe 30.

Edited by Miccara

yes, revell/monogram and revell germany are very good about replacement parts. it would certainly save you alot of headaches to just get a new part! oh, and i saw someone mention using CA to hold the BBs in, careful there to since CA creates heat as it hardens which could also have adverse effects on your plastic.