Last time ever (apparently!!)

Hello to you all :wave:

Having just returned from a little jaunt down to the Med on Illustrious ("Lusty" to all her friends), I thought I would share some of my pictures of 801 NAS Sea Harriers on their last ever time at sea with the Sea Harriers. :crying:

However, rumour has it that they will day run early next year during carrier work up, so maybe not their last time... :huh:

So here they are, more to follow.

Pic No.1

Edited by Pinky coffeeboat

Nev, of course I will !!! Just give me a short while to sort it out. :)

That fly past was of the first 3 to launch when they departed for what could be their last time ever :crying: The second wave - well I missed them completely!! Lens wouldn't focus quickly enough - a good excuse to buy a faster one I think!! ;)

Hi again,

I was with 801 from Malta to GIB and as per usual was on the flight deck for launches and recoveries!!!! That last day was something so special, I really dont want to touch my shots as I fear when I do, that will be my memories all over ( How bloody sad!)

Regards

Andy

Wonderful shots!

I'm curious, how did you guys manage to get aboard for the photo shoot? Are you guys in the Royal Navy?

I photographed air ops on the Reagan in July and would love to get out on the Lusty if 801 goes out again early next year.

Cheers!

John

What's the score then? They can't be binning off the Sea Harriers, can they? Is it Illustrious that's going? I'm confused :D

Yes, I'm affraid it is true

The Sea Harriers are the last of the "small, metal wing" Harriers. They aren't at all common with the RAF GR's and are apparently a pain to support.

So, away they go... :o

801 will disestablish on the Sea Harrier FA2 next April.

As for Lusty, no, she just came out of refit so she'll be arround for a while longer. HMS Invincible was retired this year which leaves the Royal Navy with HMS Illustrious and HMS Ark Royal

Cheers!

John

Mike, Harrier II uses an all composite wing which is much larger. I believe the engine is also different ( I think I saw somewhere that they can't put the new engines in the old frames). As well as that the avionics suite is all new.

All Harriers are a pain to support frankly. I also find it funny (ironic funny that is) that 'they' think it's such a great idea to use landplanes with a carbon wing on aircraft carriers. Think corrosion.

Also, the GR9 has a very limited air to air capability so the fleet defence role of the FRS2 is all but gone with the changes.