Spangdahlems Hunters and Killers

What would be the two best models to use as a hunter killer team from Spangdahlem?

I was looking to do it in 48th scale but I might try it in 72nd because of the size.

What models would be best to use to represent them?

I would prefer Hasegawa kits but any would do really, I know the Italeri F-4G was wasnt bad when a little work was done on it, but what F-16 would I need?

just get yourself a F-16CJ kit,it'll contain everything you need to do your 'Killer' Viper..you'd just need to decide which timeframe you building 1987-early 92 would have been Blk30's ..late '92 to late '94 when the F-4's left Spang were Blk50's as they are today.

Also check your ref's/tail number/date on the Blk30's as Spang had a mixed fleet fitted with both style of intake at one point ie NSI & MCID post 86-0262.

cheers,

Gary

Edited by mungo1974

that jet 69-7582 was from just after Desert Storm and is on the AirDoc sheet,so you need to build the F-16C as a Blk30.

as i said if you get the Blk50 CJ kit it'll have everything in there to do a Blk30 also.

the F-16's also carried their respective sqn badges on the tail at the time,i belive the only sheet to have one(480TFS) on it is the Xtradecal sheet.although IIRC somepoint in mid'91 the 480th tail stripe changed from Red/White to Red/Gold so again you'd need to check ref's.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive decided to go 48th scale instead.

Got the F-16CJ and the decals for both the jets, no F-4G yet but will get that sometime in february.

The F-16CJ kit has the AGM-88 HARM launcher radar.

Would the Killer F-16 have been fitted with this radar?

Also

I have a 72nd Italeri F-16 Night falcon kit with the SP tail codes but it has LANTIRN pods.

What should I use, the HARM radar or LANTIRN pods ?

The Killer 16 from Spang was a Block 40 89-2137. It was during Allied Force so put the LANTIRN pods on it.

-----------------------------------------------**EDIT**--------------------------------------------------------------

OOPS!! :unsure: ;) <_< I shoulda checked my references before I wrote. 89-2137 carried the 'RS' tailcode as it was from Ramstien AB not Spang.

If you want to do a transition diorama, use the Block 50 CJ kit with the HTS pod. Anything earlier, as posted before, would be a Block 30. (I think a SEAD Rhino leading a SEAD Viper would be a really nice diorama).

Edited by Taco44

WHAT!!!

Sorry your going to have to use the large letter version with pictures for me...

I dont know anything about Block 30 or 40 or 50 or anything like that...

I have the 48th scale Hasegawa F-16CJ kit [sW 20th FW] [it looks like a SEAD jet because it has AGM-88 missiles and the launch radar pod on the fusalage...

Still looking for the Hasegawa F-4G [next months wages will buy that]

What I want to do is make a nice little dio with an F-4G and an F-16 as they would have been about the time of ODS, where they operated as Hunter Killers.

The F-4G will be in the Grey/Grey scheme as per instructions on the Xtradecal sheet HERE

According to the sheet the F-16 is the C model but thats all I know about it because I know little and nothing about the F-16.

I know they are all different but unless its relavent to the F-16 that got paired with the F-4G I dont need to know about it right now [its confusing enought as it is]...

So do I fit the HARM radar or LANTIRN pods to it ?

ODS Killer Vipers were the early ones (B30 has been mentioned), not B50. They didn't carry HTS (and I'm reasonably sure ASQ-213 HTS is NOT a radar. I could be wrong tho'), and I don't think they carried HARM either, but Shrike or CBUs. The external differences between B30 and B50 aren't that great, but it could be that SPang killers were early B30 machines, and had NSI 'small mouth' intakes for their GE engines. Dunno when they changed from NSI to MCID on the GE engined birds (from which serial). The F-16CJ kit gives you what you need to make an F-16C from B30/32 to B50/52 (B25 too?).

:cheers:

Hatchet is correct - The Hunter/Killer concept was an F-4G "hunter" and an F-16C "killer". At that time Spang was flying early Block 30 jets (30B & 30C) which translates into NSI "small mouth" inlets with GE engines, HARM missiles but no HTS pods. Years later the HTS pod on the Block 50/52 F-16CJ effectively replaced the F-4G as the hunter (though many would argue that).

So can I use the Hasegawa F-16CJ as the Killer of the pair?

The instructions say

engine: Block 50 (GE/F-110-GE-129) x1, Block 52 (GE/F-100-PW-229) x1

I think this means I can build either a GE F-100 or GE F-110 engine plane.

Correct

As I assumed, and h2 confirmed, the SPang killers had GE engines, but NSI intakes. Basically, you have to use the GE engine parts, but the intake parts shown for use with the P&W engine. If in doubt about which one to use, look at them side by side. There's a reason NSI is called 'small mouth' and MCID big mouth ;)

:worship:

I just opened the bags and looked at the 2 linlets and I do see what you mean, one is larger than the other, but not by much.

In that case all i have to do is fit the engine and the small inlet...

Which of the GE engines do I fit?

They are both the same aprat from the exhaust.

One has plates over the feathers the other doesnt.

Erm, both of'em have feathers :D Or am I not getting you, and you mean that you have to attach the feathers yourself on one of them?

The feathers on the GE are (slightly) curved, those on the P&W are straight. The GE nozzle is the one with loose feathers, which is the one you need.

:blink: