F-35 Exits LM Factory

F-35A-1 Image

FIRST F-35 EXITS LOCKHEED MARTIN FACTORY, PREPARES FOR TESTING

FORT WORTH, Texas, February 20, 2006 --

The Lockheed Martin F-35 Joint Strike Fighter team has completed assembly of the first F-35 aircraft and moved it out of the factory in preparation for an intensive period of ground testing. First flight of the F-35, a conventional takeoff and landing version, remains on schedule for this fall.

The move on Feb. 19 capped a thorough design update from the Concept Development Phase of the program, and an innovative production process that yielded unprecedented levels of assembly accuracy, fit and finish.

Mechanics transferred the airplane to a nearby fueling facility where it will initially undergo a thorough fuel-system check-out. Structural coupling and ground-vibration testing will follow. Engine runs will begin in late spring and will lead into taxi tests in advance of first flight.

Complete Article

Thanks to stealthdrake for the head's up :worship:

P.S. - I know the JSF is a controversial topic but this article was worth mentioning, so can't we all just get along? :cheers:

Despite it capabilities, it's not an attractive aircraft that's for sure. Looks like a Raptor that that needs to get on the treadmill.

Well, at least it doesnt look like this... NOW THAT THING NEEDS to join a gym!!!

X-32B-097F.jpg

X-32 needed some serios cosmetic surgery. The F35 is just fat, and those stubby little wings don't help matters.

I guess we can all hope it delievers in the performance areana. From what one of the X-35 test pilots said, I'm not so sure the aero performance is going to be that stellar. The pilot in question is Lt. Col. Art Tomassetti, the USMC test pilot, the suggested in would not be as fast or potentialy maneuverable as the F-16, so we'll see.

It's mainly the stealth and avionics that make it so capable.

It's not so bad in the looks department ... orrrrr it's grown on me ....

The X-32, if chosen was to have a much different look from the concept demonstrator, much like the YF-22 Lightning II is to the F-22A Raptor ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

Well, the YF-22 stuck to me initially (probably because it was the "brand new product") and I had a hard time adjusting to the production F-22 (it was the modified from the "brand new product")... one thing I had a hard time with was the longer sharp nose on the YF compared to the stubby short nose on the F-22, along with other fuselage changes. I liked the sharp nose. Took time for me grow into the stubby nose.

I agree, Id say the F-22A is one of the most attractive aircraft Ive seen in awhile. As for the F-35, Id say it does look a little chunky, but that maybe the angle of the camera. You know, the camera does add 10 lbs you know. But it still has nothing on the fattened versions of my beloved Viper thats been rolling out of LM the past few years. I love the Viper, but those Block 52+ and Block 60s look pretty chunky and zit faced compared to other Vipers.

So, is this pretty much the production version of the aircraft? Or is it more of a FSD version?

Any possible names yet?

I`ve heard a lot about the X-35 yet still don`t seem to know anything about it. Is it designed to be a `Stealth for all` or is it a straight forward Viper replacement, or is it a trade off between the two? A compromise between Viper agility and F-117 stealthyness. Is it expected to be a dogfighter or a bomb truck or something else? I am not interested in the politics of it and hope that it is understood that I am purely asking about the military capability of the aircraft and its`intended roles. Will it turn like a Viper? What is it not expected to do? That sort of thing. Just the basic facts on its` mission.

Cheers, Ian

I`ve heard a lot about the X-35 yet still don`t seem to know anything about it. Is it designed to be a `Stealth for all` or is it a straight forward Viper replacement, or is it a trade off between the two? A compromise between Viper agility and F-117 stealthyness. Is it expected to be a dogfighter or a bomb truck or something else? I am not interested in the politics of it and hope that it is understood that I am purely asking about the military capability of the aircraft and its`intended roles. Will it turn like a Viper? What is it not expected to do? That sort of thing. Just the basic facts on its` mission.

Cheers, Ian

In USAF service it's planned to replace the F-16 and A-10, while in the Marines, it is the AV-8B and F-18 replacement, in the Navy it will supplement the Super Hornet. It's been designed more towards air to ground than the F-22 was.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

Well this is a positive start even if it is still pretty much another prototype/testbed.

The ADF are pinning the RAAF's future requirements on this elusive beast. Although that steadfast opinion is beginning to change within the ministry and high command.

The F-35 could be named Kraken?

A mythical beast indeed :)

:woot.gif:

MikeJ

Well according to the LM rep, the F-35 similarly to the F16 except it has better mid-range acceleration due to the huge engine. But since it carries it's weapons and fuel internally it should perform better in a tactically relevant configuration compared to the Viper. It's main advantages as mentioned before are it's stealth and avionics.

I suspect based on Col. Tomassetti's comments that a clean Viper outperforms a F-35.

It doesn't even come close to being a Raptor. It's remarkable how superior the F-22 truely is. (of course it was never suppose too either)

Edited by Rapier01

Nice pics!

So if I understand this right, translating into Brits, The F-35 covers the Harrier/Jaguar patch, not intended to secure air superiority like the Typhoon, or the interdiction of Tornado. A tactical strike aircraft operating near, and just behind, the forward line of oppossing ground forces, able to defend itself from other aircraft but not really suppossed to go looking for them, is this correct?

Cheers, Ian

The current plan is for the UK to only buy the STOVL version, so you could look on it as a direct Harrier replacement. With all the roles and tasking that implies. I'm not sure whether the intention is to operate a joint force structure a la the current Harrier setup, but I suspect the RN JSF will have a greater fighter role than the RAF units.