F-35 Exits LM Factory

What are the different types of CAS?

I think this is pretty close:

Type I: Aircraft spots target, Joint Terminal Attack Control (used to be called FAC I believe) spots aircraft and makes sure he's pointed at the right target and clears him to attack.

Type II: JTAC passes coordinates of target to aircraft and clears him to attack though he (JTAC) may not be able to see the aircraft or the target.

Type III: Aircraft are given clearance to attack targets that are at a distance from friendly forces. Aircraft spots targets and JTAC clearance is not required for attack.

Edited by David Walker
I like "F-35 Wolverine", but I will NEVER be able to hear that word and NOT think of "Red Dawn".

Seriously.

-Mike

Yeah, that and the scene from "Mallrats" where, discussing destroying a stage to sabotage a TV show, Jason Lee asks Jason Mewes "Do I call you 'Logan' or 'Weapon X'?" to which Mewes replies "Wolverine!! Schnikity-schnick!"

I guess I'm the only guy who thinks that shape looks pretty cool. I'll be interested to see how they paint it. I'm guessing they'll make use of a scheme similar to the Raptor since it'll be capitalizing on stealth technology.

No, you're not the only one :worship:.

If they paint it like the brochure I got from them, it will be a Raptor-like scheme. The edges and the radome will be light colored and well as the bottom. The top is a darker gray without the Mod-Eagle type patches. Of course, all subject to change but hope it will be. Like I said before, hope its not the Viper scheme.

What are the different types of CAS?

From the JCAS manual. http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/jel/new_pubs/jp3_09_3.pdf

Regards,

Murph

There are three types of terminal attack control (Type 1-3).

JTACs use Type 1 control when the risk assessment requires

them to visually acquire the attacking aircraft and the target

under attack.

Type 2 control will be used when the JTAC desires control of

individual attacks but assesses that either visual acquisition

of the attacking aircraft or target at weapons release is not

possible or when attacking aircraft are not in a position to

acquire the mark/target prior to weapons release/launch.

Type 3 control may be used when the tactical risk assessment

indicates that CAS attack imposes low risk of fratricide.