1/48 Eduard's MiG-21MF

Hi,

It's exactly 5 hours since I've paid for it in Artur's hobby shop.

No choice... I simply HAVE TO start.

There is one point which is not 110% in this kit - the clear parts really are not crisp...

DSC01026.jpg

DSC01030.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01034.jpg

Ready...Steady...GO!

More to come...soon

S.

Edited by auhlik
It's exactly 5 hours since I've paid for it in Artur's hobby shop.

:huh: Bloke... surest thing is I would be still kissin' 'n' cuddlin' the kit box wrapped up in its original cellophane... :cheers:

Could we please have more pictures of the fuselage 'n' wings, mate? Gonna thermoform the canopy?

Cheers,

Unc²

Tried to mate fuselage and wings. No filler needed at all - at least on the bottom!!!

Parts were just cut off the sprue. No sanding or trimming needed...

DSC01036.jpg

DSC01037.jpg

Enough for today.

S.

Edited by auhlik

Don't forget to tell us if there are some fit problems. Main parts fit looks ok but it may not be the case for small parts (I'm thinking of the Zvezda MiG-21 bis).

Hi,

Today I have no pictures. There is mostly nothing to photograph yet.

I am preparing gear wells and cockpit for painting. The most tedious so far was to mix interior cockpit color to match the one used on color PE set including in the box...

Regarding fit - everything I've touched till now in this kit fits like a glove. Really. A standard clean up of parts is all you have to do...just incredible.

I hope it will be the same also for internal structures - cockpit, gear wells, exhaust pipe.

Hope I will have more to show tomorrow.

Regards

S

Could you check something? Are there any parts marked not for use, that replace the PE side consoles?

When Eduard releases the weekend edition, there won´t be any PE included.

Thomas

Could you check something? Are there any parts marked not for use, that replace the PE side consoles?

When Eduard releases the weekend edition, there won´t be any PE included.

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Good question. The answer is "No replacement for PE consoles" ...

There is nothing on the sprues which could replace PE consoles.

As I am planning another MiG from weekend edition as I am also wondering how they are going to solve this.

Thx

Sasha

I suspect the Weekend Edition kit will have some PE in it for this kit, since, as pointed out, there are no plastic parts for the cockpit. I'm sure as we speak someone at Aires is furiously working away on a resin cockpit. I see the lack of plastic side walls with molded-in detail as a major shortcoming in the kit. I don't like colored PE in the first place, and I don't want to have to match paint to whatever color Eduard uses (whether it's right or wrong). I'm 100% positive we'll see resin for this though.

J

Hi,

A small update. Current status...

DSC01050.jpg

I've airbrush interior colors in cockpit and gear wells. No detailing yet...

DSC01045.jpg

DSC01049.jpg

The whole exhaust assembly is also finished.

Turbine...

DSC01051.jpg

...AB flame holder...

DSC01053.jpg

... exhaust pipe - I've added wraped inner surface as the kit has just plain tube ...

DSC01052.jpg

... and exhaust vanes.

DSC01054.jpg

Only vanes and part of exhaust pipe are visible after assembly. But when installed in the fusselage the whole thing will be burried some 10 mm deep.

So nothing will protrude from the fusselage.

Last for today are installed side consoles...

DSC01055.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

Enjoy...

S.

Edited by auhlik
What material you used for the wrapped inner surface of the exhaust?

Thomas

I've used IDE flat cable from an old PC, slice it and remove wires.

Then trim it and paint it while still flat.

S.

The decals in the box are only for the pre-"MF-75" version. Do the instructions say which IP, canopy to use and that the oval wing panel lines should be scribed ?

The decals in the box are only for the pre-"MF-75" version. Do the instructions say which IP, canopy to use and that the oval wing panel lines should be scribed ?

I think the instructions are up at the Eduard Facebook page, Laurent. IIRC they tell you to scribe the panel lines using the template.

I think the instructions are up at the Eduard Facebook page, Laurent. IIRC they tell you to scribe the panel lines using the template.

It isn't on FB anymore but on the Eduard website: http://www.eduard.cz/products/pdf/n82/8231.pdf

I was asking because someone suggested somewhere that the instructions aren't very clear on the options. Well I don't see any ambiguity in the instructions: there are no options (unless aftermarket decals are used). The IP and canopy to use are stated, choice given between scribing or decals for the oval panel lines.

Edited by Laurent
DSC01036.jpg

I hate to say it but it looks like they took a step backwards in their mold process.

The plastic looks a bit grainy an panel lines soft, similar to the Mirage III series, wish it was more like the newer Fw-190's a F6F's.

Curt

This is a great start! I agree with Jennings in that I don't like colored PE, however, I do want to commend your paint matching skills. From my POV a pretty good matching. Can't wait to see more, keep up the great work!

Jeremy

Hi guys,

Thanks for all nice comments.

I was not able to make any big progress in my build due to quite a busy last week.

So just to show you I did not abandon my "Mig-ing" here are some pictures.

I am still working on several inner assemblies, washing etc.

Main gear well

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

Exhaust details

IMG_4719.jpg

IMG_4720.jpg

IMG_4722.jpg

More to come...

S.

Edited by auhlik

Next part...

Cockpit...

IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4716.jpg

Nose gear well

IMG_4707.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

Wheels as provided in the box

IMG_4718.jpg

And another proof of EXCELLENT fit. Wing to fuselage...

IMG_4714.jpg

So that's it for today. Hope to have more quite soon.

S.

Edited by auhlik