Now that looks a lot like the Tamiya kit - right down to the separate inserts for the panels to the right of the tailfin...(why? Are these different on F-16 versions?). I'm not happy about the flattened area for the tailfin base...this is big enough to accommodate the C/D, but will leave a flat area for the narrower base of the A/B - unless there is an insert or an extra piece of plastic that goes over it...

This could be interesting...

Jens

Now that looks a lot like the Tamiya kit - right down to the separate inserts for the panels to the right of the tailfin...(why? Are these different on F-16 versions?). I'm not happy about the flattened area for the tailfin base...this is big enough to accommodate the C/D, but will leave a flat area for the narrower base of the A/B - unless there is an insert or an extra piece of plastic that goes over it...

This could be interesting...

Jens

Dear Jens,

Don't worry, this part is just for C/D only. They get another part for A/B.

Hmmm.... so they copied the Tamiya kit. Interesting.

I would say they "reference" it heavily. But not copying, you can see the slat is a separate part while Tamiya is a fixed slat. And you can notice the lower-part for the engine option, it is designed for F-16I and Block 52+ engine fitting. While TAMIYA offering cannot make 50+ version.

Look's like they've used the Tamiya kit as a guide. But there are enough differences to not be an exact copy. Grooved attachment points for the ventral fins, seperate LEF's, engine break much further forward, the vertical seam behind the flaps further back and that's just on that one piece...

I would say they "reference" it heavily. But not copying, you can see the slat is a separate part while Tamiya is a fixed slat. And you can notice the lower-part for the engine option, it is designed for F-16I and Block 52+ engine fitting. While TAMIYA offering cannot make 50+ version.

Seems to me that they referenced the 1:32nd scale kit heavily (i.e. pantographed it down but omitting other features of the kit, so not making it a direct copy) as that has separate slats and the rear part of the lower fuselage. It's not the worst reference in the world... Does the part count mean that there will be a separate engine as well?

Jens

<clip> Does the part count mean that there will be a separate engine as well?

Jens

From what I gathered last week the parts count is with the weapons and pods, think RoG Typhoon.

Still 450 parts even if it doesn't have the CFTs and spines in this boxing is impressive.

Nice to know that they listened to the experten on the Viper, Scott. Might even buy some USAF decals for them, you never know!

Matt

Oh God...here we go...

Well, if you're going to copy something, might as well copy the best (arguably).

I'm excited, between this and the new tamiya kit, looks like I'm buying more F-16 kits (I'm sure SWMBO will be happy to hear that. :) :blink: )

Brian

Why is everyone in such a &^%(&%(*^ hurry to get rid of their Hasegawa kits if this one is good? It's not like there's some law that bans owning more than one brand of F-16 kit just because this one comes out and is good.

My Hasegawa F-16s aren't going anywhere, and I think this Kinetic thing is going to look great amongst the Hasegawa, Tamyia, Academy, and even an old Revell one.

jb

I wonder how many Hasegawa kits will be sold with huge discount :)

Raymond, this brings up a reasonable point. Do you physically have these kits in hand, or are those shots from somewhere else? If you have them, can you comment on the merits of the new Kinetic kits vs. the Hasegawa and Tamiya offerings?

-If- these kits are as good as the initial shots look, Tamiya might very well be getting a run for their money, especially in the family model market.

I'm not a huge F-16 nut (I'm an F-14 guy who jealously wishes this much kit attention was being lavished on his favorite aircraft), but it is good to see such high quality options for modeling this jet. I'm sure the fans of foreign user F-16's are also excited to see this line of kits from Kinetic.

-Mike

Edited by PBoilermaker
This is a weird situation really...while Tamiya is a quantum leap beyond Hasegawa....its a different sort of quantum leap in that the Hasegawa builds into a perfectly acceptable viper, warts and all....I personally detest them, but that's really just because its a pain to get together straight the way its engineered. If you like 'em or own 234 of them, you'll be good if you like the kits. I think the Kinetics will be a super edition to the stable.

Hey Scott, I have a few Hasegawa kits in my stash. I agree that they look pretty good and I would like to buil mine some day. You mention that they are hard to build "straight". Do you have any tips or have you seen any online builds where sthe builder addresses this?

Thanks,

Pete