The Gooney Bird, workhorse of the air

How timely. I was at the Guatemala City airport last week and saw this aircraft in military markings on the other side of the field. There may be a small museum there as there was a T-33 setting next to it. There was also a turboprop version of the DC-3 over there that looked like it was being prepared for flight.

Sorry for the quality, it was a long way off.

Mike

DC-3orC-47GuatemalaCity6.jpg

Some great shots! I especially like the Guatemalan one... always something exotic about aircraft in small, out-of-the-way countries!

Here's a pic I found of HA-LIX, the only Li-2 in flying condition in the world - was restored not long ago in Hungary:

http://flickr.com/photos/12350145@N04/2755940099

At the website of the Szolnok Aviation Museum in Hungary there is a walkaround of the Li-2 preserved there. I'd do the comparing with a C-47 myself, except I don't know enough about the two... (After March 1st there will be an English translation of all the text there, too)

http://www.repulomuzeum.hu/Leltar/Leltarfotok/Li-2.htm

• 1 month later...

How about a Basler BT-67! Well, that's what it is now. In a former life it was a US Army Air Corps C-47, s/n 43-48859. I took this photo at Hurlbert Field in February 2006. I'm not sure what it was doing down there but it is the home of the USAF Special Ops. I've seen photos of this aircraft on airliners.net down in Antartica as well!

In any event, I guess you can still call it a Gooney Bird!

Mark

100_1842.jpg

Couple of Dakota's from Holland.

The 2 Dutch Dakota Association planes.

Doornroosje ("Sleeping Beauty")

txlstatic_025.jpg

dflyinn08_025.jpg

The KLM-Air France hybrid

dflyinn08_020.jpg

Same bird, the other side

texel08_029.jpg

Drag-Em-Oot, WWII vet

flyinn08_001.jpg

flyinn08_024.jpg

Orange DC-3

Avio08_008.jpg

RNLAF Dakota

MLM6408_029.jpg

MLM6408_028.jpg

Are DC-2's also allowed in here?

Etched forever in my mind. Climbing aboard an an Navy R4D in Yuma Arizona one evening,bound for NAS Miramar with an old Navy Chief Enlisted Pilot flying. Overloaded, we took up all the runway to get off and about 500 feet the port windows all turned black as an oil line broke and sprayed the side of the ol'gal. The pilot banked into the dead engine and we bounced back onto the runway , rolled to the hanger,changed the oil line and proceeded to San Diego. The old Chief just laughed and said s##t happens.

and just for some giggles...this one came through last year

004.jpg

it is a Department of State (U.S.) Bassler DC-3. it wasn't till after I got home and was adding them to the webpage that I noticed this one:

|

|

|

|

|

\/

002.jpg

appearently one of the crew is REALLY superstitious!!!!!

Sean

Edited by martin_sam_2000
  • 1 year later...
and just for some giggles...this one came through last year

004.jpg

it is a Department of State (U.S.) Bassler DC-3. it wasn't till after I got home and was adding them to the webpage that I noticed this one:

|

|

|

|

|

\/

002.jpg

appearently one of the crew is REALLY superstitious!!!!!

Sean

Hope it did the trick and bought GOOD LUCK. :) :whistle:

Nice photos by the way Sean :salute: