2008 Mustang 'Bullitt' in-prog

Hey All,

This will be my second go around with the Revell series of 2005-2008 Mustang kits, this time using the 'Bullitt' edition. The 2008 Bullitt Mustang is an updated take on the 1968 Mustang used in the classic Steve McQueen movie Bullitt. Here is the 1/1 car;

m5lp_0711w_01_z2008_bullitt_mustang.jpg

The motor has been finished in various shades of Testors Metalizer and non Metalizer shades (plus semi-gloss black for the oil pan and pulleys).

100_3473.jpg

100_3475.jpg

100_3476.jpg

100_3479.jpg

And now the start of the chassis. The chassis was painted primer gray first, and the body color misted from the sides to simulate the over-spray from the painting process on the real car. A little more detail painting, plus adding all the suspension components and the chassis will be complete.

100_3482.jpg

Next up will be the body prep and painting. Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Alby

Hey All,

This will be my second go around with the Revell series of 2005-2008 Mustang kits, this time using the 'Bullitt' edition. The 2008 Bullitt Mustang is an updated take on the 1968 Mustang used in the classic Steve McQueen movie Bullitt.

..............................~snip~....................................

And now the start of the chassis. The chassis was painted primer gray first, and the body color misted from the sides to simulate the over-spray from the painting process on the real car.

Next up will be the body prep and painting. Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Alby

What a Smokin'Hot car!!

I love the '68 "Bullitt" Mustang so I hope this new one has a stick shift and sounds exactly like the McQueen original or there'll be trouble........ :)

:lol:

The overspray on the chassis is a neat touch Alby and looks perfect.

Keep us posted on the progress please.

:coolio:

Edited for GrandMa grammar :cheers:

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks for the kudos everybody, they're greatly appreciated.

@ Bill-

LOL, you can't see the mayhem that is just outside the lens. I just pushed it to the side before taking the photos. :o

@ Guy-

She has a 4.6 liter V8 @ 325HP (plus it has a cold air intake system). It comes with a five-speed manual transmission. In other words, she scoots!

Alrighty, some updated photos. The engine, radiator, and exhaust system has been added to the chassis pan and the detail painting completed. All painting was done with Model Master enamels (except for the exhaust heat effect, those were done with Tamiya clears)

100_3486.jpg

100_3483.jpg

100_3487.jpg

100_3488.jpg

One item I am deviating from in regards to stock build is the addition of the quarter window louvers. The real '08 Bullitt doesn't have them, though the 1968 Mustang used in the movie did. The louvers came from a 1966 Mustang kit and required some modification in order to fit the '08 body (mainly shortened via sanding stick, and then styrene strip added to shim any gaps),

100_3489.jpg

100_3490.jpg

Next up I'll go over modifying the suspension to get the proper ride height and mounting it the chassis. These kits are notorious for the riding too high OOB and need to be lowered for the proper stance.

Thanks again for following along.

Cheers,

Alby

That is looking really good! Love to see it when its finished!

I'm a Bullitt fan ever since my dad introduced me to the movie. I have a 2001 Mustang, and I'll never forget how in the showroom of the dealership, there was a 2001 Bullitt I wish I could get my hands on.

Ah,.......big ponies eh? That's the ticket. A sports exhaust and air filter and she'd snarl like the original then :wub:

The belly pan looks splendid Alby. All of the different colours and textures really add some interest under there. The heat stained exhaust is great.

You'll need to display her on a mirror of course ;)

I like the rear three-quarter grille idea. That's a neat touch and ought to be added to the real deal. (It's not as if you'd lose too much in the way of visibility judging by the size of the glass in the real car....... :thumbsup: )

Stick at, this is looking good.

:cheers:

Hi Gang,

Back again with another update, mainly modification of the suspension to lower her to a more acceptable stance;

100_3495.jpg

BTW, these are not the wheels that are going on this build. The kit came with the correct 18" Bullet five spoke rims, I just used these for mock-up purposes.

Here's how the mods were done. First the rear suspension. A simple operation compared to the front suspension modifications;

100_3497.jpg

Not pictured are the rear shocks. They need to be shortened a bit as well.

Now the front end mods. As you can see it is a bit more involved. The chassis pan and inner fender mods;

100_3486-Copy.jpg

The front axle mods next;

100_3493.jpg

Just need to paint the components and add them to the chassis and it will be complete. Of course the weather here in Northern Michigan isn't warming up to the point I can start painting the body yet. :jaw-dropping: Hopefully I can get to it in the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile I'l work on the interior.

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Albert Moore

Hi Guys,

Chassis is completed (minus the wheels of course). Aside from some minor tweaking in regards to the sway bars and rear shocks (which was a result of the suspension modifications), everything fit perfectly.

100_3502.jpg

100_3506.jpg

100_3518.jpg

100_3523.jpg

100_3524.jpg

Next up will be the interior. If we ever get some decent weather I can get to the body right away as well. I did fill the holes in for the spoiler but I'd like to prime the body and get it ready for the color coats.

Cheers,

Alby

PS- Finally got an image of the box art. Pretty snazzy IMO;

REV4234.jpg

Edited by Albert Moore
Look forward to the finished build.

I'm puttering around with the '06 Shelby GT-H kit myself-makes for a nice break from my A-10 build.

Hi John,

That's what I had going prior to the Bullitt, but decided to go with this instead. I also have the Shelby GT 500 in the works as well (it'll be Grabber Orange w/ black stripes)

Small update today. I wanted to see how the color I'm using is going to look so I painted the fire wall and strut towers with Dupli-Color Medium Metallic Green (decanted into a jar and then airbrushed). I sprayed two fire walls, one with a black primer and one with gray primer to see which would look the best. The gray primer looks to be close;

100_3532.jpg

100_3534.jpg

It's still a bit compared to the photos I've seen but it'll suffice.

Cheers,

Alby

Hi Gang,

New update for today. The interior is pretty much completed. I used Tamiya Deck Tan (TS-68) for the tan color on the seats, door panels, console, and lower dashboard. Model Master Black Chrome was used for the seats, panel inserts, and upper dashboard. Aluminum Metalizer was used for dashboard panel.

100_3670.jpg

100_3669.jpg

After the dashboard was painted, I used small dots of white to represent the text on the buttons and dials. I cut a photoetched CD in half and stuck in the CD slot. Last touch was using a sewing needle ball top for the shifter ball;

100_3668.jpg

100_3671.jpg

The Detailer was used to bring some of the dashboard detail to life.

Next update should be the body (though it'll be a couple of weeks before I get to it- going out of town for vacation next week)

Thanks for looking. Comments/critiques welcomed as always.

Cheers,

Albert

Interior update number two- I wasn't happy with just a black painted floor so out came the Ken's Fuzzi Fur black and gray flocking. This is the second time I've used it and just love the look of it;

100_3673.jpg

The completed dashboard;

100_3674.jpg

And the completed interior/undercarriage assembly (er, still have to add the upper radiator hose and master cylinder);

100_3680.jpg

100_3681.jpg

Cheers,

Alby

Superb work Alby.

Wow!,....that Black Chrome really looks like black leather.

The whole interior looks great with all of the different colours and textures and the motor is impressive too.

So, what CD is in the player? The theme from Bullitt? :D

:rofl:

Thanks Guy and Gregg! Glad you guys are digging the build so far. The encouragement really keeps me pumped up (in my best Hans and Franz voice).

@ Guy-

Given the absolutely awesome work you do, your praise of my means a heck of a lot! As for what's playing in the CD deck, the driver is like me, a big Rush fan so he's rocking out to Hemispheres! :P

Cheers,

Alby

Edited by Albert Moore
I can't spell the first time around.
holy smokes Alby, that interior is incredible! Love the CD! Outstanding paint work as usual too

:unsure:

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the kudos, bro! It's been a loooooooong time since I've done a complete two tone interior (gull gray and black don't count LOL) so I'm thrilled this one turned out decent. LOL in the product name (could it be his face stubble after shaving...ewwwwww!).

Cheers,

Alby

• 2 weeks later...