Dragon 1/144 F/A-18F

Here's my latest project, a 144th scale Dragon Super Bug. I'm using the Growler boxing that comes with the carrier deck. I'll be building this in take off configuration in VFA-103 markings (from Fightertown).

The first step was separating all the control surfaces:

DSCN4459.jpg

I reshaped the flaps and added new attachment points:

DSCN4465.jpg

Rudders and leading edges re-positioned:

DSCN4467.jpg

DSCN4468.jpg

I've added a resin flight crew from OzMods:

DSCN4466.jpg

And an overall shot of the deck.

DSCN4469.jpg

After some research I've found out that the deck isn't entirely accurate, the catapult track extends too far back towards the blast deflector, and the bunker is probably too close to the track. These things don't bother me enough to change them. I did rescribe all the raised panel lines, and I'll be using some deck decals from Starfighter decals to improve the look a little.

Oh, and my apologies for the funny colours in the pictures! I forgot to set the white balance before taking them and correction in iPhoto didn't seem to help too much.

Chris

I have been away for few weeks and after I came back decided to start building something and it happens I opened Dragon double F/A-18E + EA-18G Growler box. :jaw-dropping:

I am just deciding if I should cut wings to pieces or not... at least I can check on your progress and decide :)

Looking good so far by the way!

Hello Christopher,

I'm glad to see another model from you in 144.

Since now seems fine, I'll follow with the usual interest.

Again thank You for providing me a link to the hornet instrument panel.

It had been precious!

Bye bye

Giovanni

Thanks for the comments guys! Flyinglow, separating the flaps is a pretty involved process which I've done a few times. I think it's worth it in the end.

I've attached the flaps now:

DSCN4470.jpg

Also added the top plate, still need to sand it to shape.

DSCN4472.jpg

Here's the deck with the blast deflector assembled:

DSCN4473.jpg

And the deck crew. One will be the shooter and the others will be aircraft handlers.

DSCN4474.jpg

Chris

I see surgery was successful. It is looking good and I agree Hornet just doesn't look right with straight flaps when not in flight. Actually I did the same on my Revell F/A-18C but it is just PITA to cut and rebuild in 1/144 :mellow:

I had no idea Germans said "Neato" ... till now ... Moritz ... :crying2:

Give the guy a break...

Chris, Great flap work in small scale!

I have the same kit, and am trying to do a Tomcat on a Cat shoot. Now, I just need to dig up my post buried deep, deep, within the In-Progress topics.

Giles

Back with another update! I added a bit of detail to the edge of the blast deflector:

DSCN4475.jpg

Attached and masked the canopy (turns out I didn't do a great job fairing it in but I'll live with it).

DSCN4476.jpg

Also got some painting done today. Here's the deck with a bit of shading:

DSCN4478.jpg

I masked the blast deflector and sprayed the edge red:

DSCN4479.jpg

DSCN4481.jpg

I'll mask off the edge and spray white over it to get the striping.

I also sprayed the upper surfaces of the jet. I decided to do a bit of post shading this time, pre shading was taking up too much time and paint!

DSCN4477.jpg

Chris

I got the rest of the painting done today. Here's the jet all masked up:

DSCN4484.jpg

and here it is after spraying:

DSCN4485.jpg

Time to put a gloss coat on and start decalling!

I also did more on the deck. Here's the blast deflector in the process of being masked:

DSCN4482.jpg

and the final product:

DSCN4486.jpg

I've also done a pit of work on the deck tractor that comes with the deck. It probably won't be part of the display but it'll be nice to have. I added some tie downs to the front, scribed in some doors, and attempted to replicate the non slip surface on top with sandpaper.

DSCN4483.jpg

Chris

<...> I had no idea Germans said "Neato" ... till now ... Moritz ... :( <...>

Must be all the 'stralians round 'ere. :D

Maybe it's the angle or my eyes, but did Dragon mess up the angle of the canopy/wind shield frame? It almost looks like it's angled backwards or at least straight up. :D

<...>

DSCN4476.jpg

<...>

Edited by ChernayaAkula
Must be all the 'stralians round 'ere. :wacko:

Maybe it's the angle or my eyes, but did Dragon mess up the angle of the canopy/wind shield frame? It almost looks like it's angled backwards or at least straight up. :jaw-dropping:

I agree with you, ChernayaAkula, this part does not convince me.

I've got the single seater and from a brief analysis I found the same problem.

This part is not the best one of the kit anyway.

I suggest to Christopher to try to sand this part away from the second canopy from the box (it's a twin pack), then polishing and painting the frame with the right angle.

If this work he can replace the former one later.

But I'm sure the model will be beautiful also with this lill defect...

Giovanni

Must be all the 'stralians round 'ere. ;)

Maybe it's the angle or my eyes, but did Dragon mess up the angle of the canopy/wind shield frame? It almost looks like it's angled backwards or at least straight up. :pray:

Hmm, I didn't notice this until just now. It's a bit too late to pop off the canopy and start again. I've noticed on previous builds that the bottom rain of the canopy is too deep, leaving less room on the side of the fuselage above the LEX.

I also just found another mistake on this kit when I started decalling. The rear fuselage "slime" light is way too far forward. It's tucked underneath the flap when it should be directly under the middle of the vertical tail. Again, it's too late to fix.

Chris