Hellenic F-4E Phantom AUP 1/48

Hi all,

I've left this WIP a bit late before submitting it on here, but the full version can be seen here http://fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopi...291&t=11661.

This is the latest build using the Hasegawa F-4E Kit, Aires Cockpit with modifications, Paragon Inboard Slats, Aires Exhausts, Isracast Litening Pod, DMold Intakes, Verlindens F-4E upgrade set and various another bits from other Hasegawa F-4 kits.

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF069.jpg

On top of what you can see the Drop tanks, Flaps/Slats, Wheels, Bay doors and Crew ladder have been painted up as well.

Hope you like

Scott

Hellas!!

I hope you have a spare part for the right fuel dumping valve..seams it broke off!?

:worship: looks good so far!!!!

:worship: How the hell did you spot that.

Don't know what happened to it, one day I noticed it wasn't there, don't know if it ever was. I have a spare I can rob off an old kit so not to worry

Scott

Weekly progress update,

Sprayed up the exhaust area and external walls of the exhausts themselves. The area was initially sprayed with Xtracolor's Burnt Iron, then varying the shade using Gunmetal, Bronze, Metallic Dark Grey. Some panels were them masked off and sprayed with Burnt Iron again.

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF075.jpg

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF074.jpg

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF078.jpg

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF077.jpg

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF076.jpg

The horizontal Tail planes were sprayed up at the same time using the same method

Upper surface

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF081.jpg

Under surface

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF082.jpg

The Cockpit surround and IP's have been sprayed Anthracite and the Open Gun Bay surround Zinc Chromate. The Heat defector behind the Gun has been sprayed up as well.

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF079.jpg

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF080.jpg

And a box of various parts which have been completed awaiting final assembly.

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF083.jpg

A little bit of touching up required in parts, them the hairy stick will make an appearance for detailing.

ATB

Scott

:whistle: Hey Scott ,How are you doing over there.The Phantom Looks Great.Mine Got On Hold,Side tracked a little bit. Finnishing up the 1/32 Revell F-4E And The RF-4C, Kind of got into a JASDF Aggressor F-15DJ 1/32 From a old revell kit. The Questions is what did use for the Upgrade on the nose for the AUP. Also ,How did you cut out the flaps.?
The Questions is what did use for the Upgrade on the nose for the AUP. Also ,How did you cut out the flaps.?

Hi,

The upgrade that you mean I take to be the 4 "Bird slicer" antenna just behind the radome. This was the one area that posed a problem as there is nothing available commercially. I had various ideas in mind but each one didn't or wouldn't work for one reason or the other. In the end I opted to make them out of spare styrene. The antenna bases were 4 blocks of styrene which were cut from an old underwing pylon roughly 3mm long, 2mm wide and 3mm high, these were glued in place then sanded until they were just proud of the fuselage surface. The antenna blades themselves are the front fins off a AIM9 Sidewinder trimmed to the rough size then glued, again these were then sanded to shape.

The flaps were cut out using a Zona razor saw which has a blade thickness of 0.20mm, probably the best bit of kit in my box.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/razor-saws.html

These were then brought back up to size by adding some styrene to the sides and sanded to size.

HTH

Scott

nice progress! Maybe the aires cans are to deep in the fuselage? Miss some "smoke" behind the cans...Nevertheless this will be an outstanding phantom! great!

Thanks.

The Exhaust area is far from finished and will be dirtied up once the decals have been done along with the rest of the model. The Aires exhausts are sitting flush with the fuselage but they aren't attached at the moment, again it will get done after the final Flat coat.

• 5 weeks later...

Work has been progressing at a slow pace. With all the detail painting finished it is now time for decaling. With over 400 decals to be applied this will take me the best part of 2 weeks to complete, I started last Monday and have finished the upper surfaces, will make a start on the undersides tonight.

Picture-1.jpg

Also the M61 Vulcan cannon has been installed

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF086.jpg

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF085.jpg

F-4EAUPPhantomHellenicAF084.jpg

Will update once the decaling has been completed

With the main decaling finished my attention has now turned to the loadout/stores namely the GBU's/Mavericks and Litening pod, so while they are taking shape a few pics to show the amount of decals on this, still another 80+ to go on the pylons/and stores.

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP001-1.jpg

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP002-1.jpg

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP003.jpg

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP004.jpg

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP005.jpg

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP006.jpg

Once the pylons have been decaled up I will then seal them all in with a coat of Klear before applying the washes and weathering effects.

ATB

Scott

Decaling finally complete :clap: 473 to be exact with only one casualty.

The decals have been sealed in with a coat of Klear and has cured for 72 hours, so will start panel washing tonight.

All the sub assemblies have been finished up to final build stage as well(except for one lot of wing stores) so should have this one finished this week.

Doors, flaps and slats

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP007.jpg

GBU12's and Litening Pod and Maverick launcher

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP009.jpg

GBU12 close up

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP008.jpg

Litening Pod close up

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP016.jpg

Inboard Pylons

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP010.jpg

Undercarriage and Main Wheels

HellenicF-4EPhantomAUP011.jpg