Are Mr. Hobby Acqueous paints any good?

I have been using them since 1986, and I love them.

Great assortment of colors. But they are fickle with brush painting, so ya just have to insure that you have no oils on the parts you are painting.

I love them because they spray beautifully.

I use Isopropyl alchohol for the cleaning and thinning.

HTH William G

AFAIK they are not available from any sources in USA, but like others have said, they are somewhat similar to Tamiya's acrylics, have many more color choices than does Tamiya and spray very nicely. These and Tamiya acrylics are my first choices for model paint these days.

I started using the Gunze acrylics back in the late 1980s when my boys were quite little and wanted to 'help' build models. Gunze was my first exposure to water clean-up acrylics, at least that is how I viewed them and figured if the kids caused a disaster, it would be easier to clean up as well as explain to SWMBO if I could use water instead of lacquer thinners :(

I think Mr. Hobby Aqueous are fantastic paints. They are comparable to Tamiya acrylics. However, to me the biggest difference is that Mr. Hobby Aqueous is semi-flat (there is a nice sheen to it when it dries). Hence, they are not as flat as Tamiya. This allows Hobby Aqueous to require much less gloss coat for the decals and enamel washes. As a result, if you have subtle post shading or weathering, you can preserve that better with these paints. As you might have noticed, thick gloss coats have a tendency to suppress the subtle weathering/shading.

That being said, I have not used the Mr. Color range. I hear great things about them as well. They too dry semi-gloss as far as I know.

hi,

dont mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question regarding the silver, gloss white and light ghost grey for the Gunze Aqueous color. They always give me a milky texture, or the silver is pigmented rather than smooth, and light ghost grey (H308) appears to be too light. Do you guys thin it with water? or something else to give it a better texture?

thanks

They always give me a milky texture

Never had that happened to me before. Are you stirring it well? I use either distilled water or Tamiya thinner to thin it for airbrushing.

light ghost grey (H308) appears to be too light

Gunze light ghost gray may "appears" to be too light, but in reality, it is the darkest out of the four acrylics that I tried:

ghost_grays.jpg

Compared to my color chip, it's slightly too dark when brush painted. It matches slightly better when airbrushed.

They are the best colors i have used period (i m comparing this to Pactra, Testors, Lifecolor) . Their surface coverage is superior to tamiya and i also like the fact that most of them are semi gloss so i dont need to cover the painted surface with a gloss or semi-gloss lacquer to do the decals.

The dried paint is extremely smooth and hard to chip. Not many stores carry the range unfortunately but luckymodel.com has most of the colors available online.

Hope this helps ;)

Edited by stalal
Thanks for the feedback, Richard! Could you tell me where you source your Gunze Aqueous from? Are there any places here in the US that carry the range?

My source of Gunze Aqueous was a local hobby shop that went out of business 22+ years ago. The owner of the shop sold me the entire Gunze rack, including the paints:

gunze_rack.jpg

I did order some more bottles this year from PlaJapan.com, located in southern California.

If you can no longer find Gunze acrylics, then I would suggest Xtracrylix acrylics as they are pretty good and come in many FS and RLM colors.

My source of Gunze Aqueous was a local hobby shop that went out of business 22+ years ago. The owner of the shop sold me the entire Gunze rack, including the paints:

gunze_rack.jpg

I did order some more bottles this year from PlaJapan.com, located in southern California.

If you can no longer find Gunze acrylics, then I would suggest Xtracrylix acrylics as they are pretty good and come in many FS and RLM colors.

WOW, That is awesome. Can I order from you :woot.gif: