IRIAF F-5E TigerII

Hi all!

I´ve had a little break from models for a while but now I´m at it again..... I almosty always have a dip in my vbuilding mojo in the autumn.

Now I´ve found my inspiration again and I´ve chased away the accumulated layer of dust and tumble weed from my hobby room :cheers:

I got a little incitament from Diego in the post box, an early X-mas gift....his new decals for Persian F-5s! Thanx Diego!

I´ll start with my usual presentation of the kit.

It´s the gorgeous AFV Club F-5E in 1/48th scale!

IMG_1952.jpg

The, a tad flimsy, box is filled with sprues, 8 of them, and exhaust nozzles and a piece of the airframe are not attached to any sprues.

The parts look really enticing and crisply molulded I haven´t discovered much flash at all tho there some inconvinient injection marks here and there.

IMG_1953.jpg

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

And here are the IRIAF decals for the build! Looks like the usual high quality...hope I won´t break any decals this time :tease: The film is so thin you have to be careful while handeling the decals.

IMG_1956.jpg

On with the build!

I´ve had a few questions over the years from ppl who wonder how I attach the parts to the tooth pick, well now you don´t need to wonder anymore.

The implements: Toothpicks (of course), pinvice with drill, tack-it, a piece of foam plastic and a cutter.

IMG_1958.jpg

There are three ways I attach tooth picks to the parts: first if there is a little hole already in the part I check if I need to cut of a piece of the tip of the tooth pick to make it fit

IMG_1959.jpg

Then I cut of a piece and squeeze it in and the part sticks.

IMG_1964.jpg

And then on to the plastic foam!

IMG_1965.jpg

More in part 2

Part 2

If a part doesn´t have a hole or cranny to stick a tooth pick in, like this here bang seat....

IMG_1967.jpg

I stick a piece of tack-it on to the tooth pick....

IMG_1968.jpg

And then presst it to the part so it sticks.

IMG_1970.jpg

...then on to the plastic foam.

IMG_1965.jpg

Lastly if there isn´t any hole I make one :pray:

IMG_1975.jpg

And press in a tooth pick into the hole...

IMG_1976.jpg

There you have it...I do this while I clean the parts and then stick them into the foam. Rather nice ritual to initiate a build :cheers:

IMG_1977.jpg

Then there was this piece that seems to be a bit damaged, there´s supposed to be a couple of plastic rods sticking out of it but they seem to have been broken off at some time.

ONly tyhing left to do is to drilla couple of holes and cut a couple of pieces of piano wire...

IMG_1973.jpg

...and glue the piano wire in place. There!

IMG_1974.jpg

OK then, everything is cleaned and stucik on to the plastic foam, time for priming!

As usual I prime everything in black.

IMG_1978.jpg

There, back in business again :tease:

Tomorrow I´ll start putting on the greys and start messing with the cockpit! :rofl:

Cheers!

Been fooling around with the cockpit today...and I think it´s smashing!

Excellent details on the IP, sitting well and the bang seat....I think I really like this kit!

Anyway, lots of painting going on today..

I started with shooting the greys, it´s hum 166 light aircraft grey on the side walls....

IMG_1979.jpg

As was the sitting well, I then painted the black on the panels.

IMG_1980.jpg

A bit of drybrushing with Hum 79 to bring out the details subtly.

IMG_1985.jpg

And some detail painting, just needs a coat of gloss coat and a my usual wash, flat coat and some dry brushing and bob´s your uncle!

IMG_1987.jpg

The IP recieved about the same treatment, first I painted the blacks...

IMG_1981.jpg

Then dry brushing with hum 79..

IMG_1986.jpg

Then another dry brushing with hum 146 and then detail painting!

IMG_1989.jpg

The bang seat is painted in Hum 165, a bit darker than the cockpit, and then detail painted.

IMG_1991.jpg

And the struts recieved a coat of alclad white aluminium..

IMG_1982.jpg

Later I´ll shoot some clear coat over everything so it´s cured by tomorrow and then it´s washes and drybrushing as usual :woot.gif:

Cheers!

Here I am again :stupid:

While the wash is curing in the cockpit I decided to put a few things together on the kit.Here´s where I start scratching my noggin...... furiously!

I mean look att he break up of parts for the fuselage. The fuselage is broken up into 3 segments: the nose, the rear and the middle. there already I´m starting to think the kit´s been designen by

a hoard of drunken monkeys! But the atomisation of the kit continues, this is simply madness.....

the nose section is made out of 3 parts....not counting the nose cone!

IMG_1992.jpg

The rear is made out of two halves: an upper and a lowers side...not counting the exhausts and stabs..

IMG_1993.jpg

And the middle section is just off the scale.... ok, the fuselage itself are made out of an upper and a lower part but when you add the break up of the air intakes it´s just ludicrous.

IMG_1994.jpg

And yet..some how, they make it work!? It shouldn´t be possible to make a model with this break up of parts fit! It´s against the laws of the universe! At least not without a ton of putty!

But yet some how the hoard of drunken monkeys have come up with a work of art....

Look at this... in any other kit when you have this many steps to go through building the fuselage sections this alignment would be full of gaps and steps!

IMG_1995.jpg

Now look what happen when I bring the partstogether, a simple dryfit!

IMG_1996.jpg

I mean come on, this shouldn´t be possible! have they made a deal with satan or something??? signed off their firstborn or something?

And the same at the nose end.... look!

IMG_1997.jpg

He**, even with my feeble building skills I´ll hardly have to putty anything....well me being me I have to eventually tho :worship:

Now to the insane airintakes (tho for some reason there isn´t an air duct nor fan fronts to be seen.... )

here we have the splitter plates with added PE (another drop fit)... I´ve painted them with Alclad white aluminium, not sure of the intake colors actually but I´d presume it´s aluminium.

IMG_1998.jpg

They fit in like this, pefectly btw... och I have to mention that there is actually alredy fitted a part of the airintake to the fuselage so this is the second piece of the airintake so far...

IMG_2000.jpg

And with the outer cowling...

IMG_1999.jpg

Both sides...

IMG_2001.jpg

There, in total 4 parts for each air intake! and yet no trunking of any sort :huh:

This kit is isane.....marvelous and ingenious....but still insane!

Cheers!

Aigore,

This Ritual of yours is becoming pretty IMPRESSIVE.

The cockpit is very good and the work is as I expected from you.... NEAT and FLAWLESS.

The bang seat is going to be good I can tell, and the surgery on the nsoe cone is VERY

daring but Oh so GOOD !!!

Keep on Modeling the way you are doing..Loving it.. :salute:

HOLMES :worship::worship:

I am building one too, and she does fit together nicely. Great engineering, and I take my hat off to the people @ AFV.

I have to agree with Paolo, the decals are not that good, to put it mildly. I vote for Cartograf decals in their 1/72 scale down or 1/48 F-5A/B :banana:

Another great build Janne! :whistle: Show us more pleeeease!

It's a bit strange that there is still no gun compartment available as resin aftermarket element for the AFV Club Tiger II. The kit has all the openings and doors that allow to show this area open - if only a "simple" resin insert whould be available. :thumbsup:

Greetings

Diego