OH-58D Kiowa Warrior. 1/35 scale MRC Kit

Hi there!

I've managed to deviate from my usual modeling path I used to follow for last three years and started something that would inspire me at the moment I found myself being bored from my scratch build projects. :)/>/>/>/>/> Having searching my stash I found very nice MRC kit I bought years ago - OH-58D Kiowa.

For the first time I wrapped my mind around the idea to build it straight OOB, except... Well, actually to build models straight OOB is not my style at all. That's why I started googling in anticipation to find a lot of nice refers but... alas! I've just found a few. Thanks to some ARCers who responded on my thread at the Research Corner and posted some links and pics. After examining the refers I've set my mind on making an upgraded version of the helicopter.

I've started building the kit (you can find some in-progress pics here: http://pilot64.gallery.ru/watch?a=nF1-ghJk ) but I'm still at the research stage and looking for more refers.

I address all my prayers to all Kiowa guys who are putting their hands on that nice little whirlybird every day and can make (or maybe have got somewhere in their folders) some nice photos of the helo.

If you by chance have some pics of the "dog house" and the exhaust from above, please share!

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

:cheers:/>/>/>/>/>

Edited by Eastern

Alexander,

Yes MY friend it is time you started this beauty..

Seeing your link, the work is very good and neatly presented and FLAWLESS work

from you...I have been waiting for you to start this whirly bird and I'm gonna enjoy this..

I wish you all the best :nanner: :)

HOLMES :salute:

Alexander,

Yes MY friend it is time you started this beauty..

Seeing your link, the work is very good and neatly presented and FLAWLESS work

from you...I have been waiting for you to start this whirly bird and I'm gonna enjoy this..

I wish you all the best

HOLMES :salute:

Hello Mr. HOLMES.

I much appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

Yes, now I'm completely on the build and the amount of various improvements is growing bigger and bigger. :)

And there are some inaccuracies I have to fix. Can't leave them as they are. I know that fixing them is time consuming but I can't help my meticulous approach. :)

Hi camophilip. Thanks for dropping by. ;)

Cheers!

Alexander

:nanner:

Alex

My prayers have finally been answered.....you are building an helo......yeepeee!!!

Cant go wrong with the Kiowa. I just took a look at your progress....Wow! I love that cockpit work.

As always your skills are just simply amazing...

Oliver

Great work so far. I love it. I beleive I sent you the book and the parts. You'll like them both and they will be VERY helpful. Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

Floyd

Hi Floyd! I'm glad you like my progress on the thingy.

I actually have started making the "dog house" but if you intend to send me your resin set it will be much appreciated.

Hi, Oliver! Glad you dropped by and are at "me-likes-your-build" mood. :monkeydance: Thank you for your kind words, buddy!

But when it comes to helicopter modeling, I take a back seat for you. :shoot:

Hi, 11bee!

I used Tamiya's Extra Thin Cement to glue the strips to the windshield. I used the brush which is fixed on the cap, applying the cement to the strips very carefully. I protected area adjacent to where the strips was supposed to be glued with masking tape.

Mario, thank you for appreciation of my start.

Thank you, guys, for your kind words and encouragement. I'll keep you posted.

Alexander

<_<

Edited by Eastern
Alexander..

you have an awesome build of the Kiowa....

much much much much better compared to how my Kiowa turn out after completion :crying:

and yes.. Floyd's resin make Kiowa looks better.. :D

My Kiowa can be viewed in my website (excuse the mess) :)

kuman

http://kumanworks.110mb.com

http://kumanx.blogspot.com

Hi kuman.

Your Kiowa looks pretty nice!

Alexander

I thought I HAD sent you a cowling. I was dealing with someone in Russia who got a book and resin. It must have been someone else. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Floyd

Ah, I see... Never mind.

I'm looking forward to receiving your book. Don't forget to sign it for me. ;)

Cheers!

Alexander

:bandhead2:

I thought I HAD sent you a cowling. I was dealing with someone in Russia who got a book and resin.

Well it's such a small country population wise I could see how you could get confused. :woot.gif:

I address all my prayers to all Kiowa guys who are putting their hands on that nice little whirlybird every day and can make (or maybe have got somewhere in their folders) some nice photos of the helo.

If you by chance have some pics of the "dog house" and the exhaust from above, please share! :cheers:

Alexander

Hello-oooo?

:woot.gif:

Hi guys!

I think I have to keep you posted so here are some pics to show my playing with the "dog house". :salute:

I used 0.5 and 1 mm thick styrene sheets to make the house. I think no need to comment step-by-step process. It's seen clearly from the pics.

I misshaped it a bit so I had to apply some amount of Tamiya putty to fix the shape problem.

Here are some pics:

51947--42290748-m549x500-ud29b6.jpg51947--42290750-m549x500-ub9f1c.jpg

51947--42290753-m549x500-u9b58a.jpg51947--42290759-m549x500-uff1fc.jpg

51947--42290755-m549x500-ucd8f8.jpg51947--42290762-m549x500-ud9d4d.jpg

51947--42290764-m549x500-u31a6e.jpg51947--42290766-m549x500-ud3c50.jpg

51947--42290768-m549x500-ucd34f.jpg

To be continued... :rofl:

Alexander

:monkeydance:

Great work Alex!

Отличная работа! Буду следить за процессом с интересом.

Когда будете делать вооружение - дайте знать если нужен ствол на 50 калибрю У меня есть точеные.

Андрей

Great work Alex!

Отличная работа! Буду следить за процессом с интересом.

Когда будете делать вооружение - дайте знать если нужен ствол на 50 калибр. У меня есть точеные.

Андрей

Hi Andy!

Thanks for appreciation of my build but it's modest enough and pales beside your absolutely smashing work on your MH-47E.

Насчет предложения, спасибо. Только я предполагаю использовать 70 mm Rocket Pod и Hellfire Launcher.

Cheers!

Alexander

:(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

Now that there's some progress on the "superstructure" and the "dog house" I'm to place some images to show how it looks at the moment. :P

While examining reference photos I revealed some inaccuracies I had to fix. So I've added some plastic here and there:

51947--42668030-m549x500-udddee.jpg

The dog house is given its shape and it quite suits me:

51947--42668039-m549x500-uce51b.jpg51947--42668045-m549x500-udead2.jpg

51947--42668055-m549x500-uc7d17.jpg

Next step was mastering the rotor head wall or bulkhead or what term stands for it. :P

51947--42718900-m549x500-u4abfe.jpg51947--42718903-m549x500-u0297d.jpg51947--42718901-m549x500-ubb07c.jpg

51947--42718905-m549x500-u362fb.jpg51947--42718904-m549x500-u4eaa2.jpg

Then I used a stretched sprue to simulate junction of the dog house with the superstructure:

51947--42718906-m549x500-ufdadd.jpg

Then I used some Tamiya Putty on the fore upper portion of dog house and now the "house" is almost done:

51947--42767390-m549x500-u717a7.jpg

Brass mesh added:

51947--42767395-m549x500-ub84e4.jpg

51947--42767399-m549x500-u5419c.jpg51947--42767406-m549x500-u82297.jpg

Now the trouble is that I lack of images to show the "superstructure" from above, especially in way of the exhaust.

Hey guys, if someone has nice pics of the area, please share.

Alexander

:P

Now the trouble is that I lack of images to show the "superstructure" from above, especially in way of the exhaust.

Hey guys, if someone has nice pics of the area, please share.

Alexander

:thumbsup:

Great job scratchbuilding that piece! I would have taken the easy (lazy) way out and given Floyd some business but I'm glad to see that some folks have the skill to do things like that on their own.

With regard to the pictures, when I was doing my build, I remember seeing an awesome shot of the top that would answer all of your questions. Not sure if it is posted on my WIP or somewhere else. I'll try to check tonight and if I find it, I'll put it up.

Keep up the great work!

John