Hi all I am building a 1-48 Revell F-15e. I have noticed that some Strike Eagles have a lighter grey Radome and drop tanks than the gunship grey. What would be the best colour match for these? Cheers

Also rudders are seen swapped over.

Certainly seen a lot of this at Lakenheath in recent years. With C/D and E models together, there's a lot of mix and match;

15991647520_4b7bf33c49_o.jpg

7712950248_02e914ecb8_o.jpg

Radome;

6571231945_0debfaf905_o.jpg

Green brake for some reason;

6174885968_e5a83a8d70_o.jpg

For good measure one the other way, E radome on a C model;

4849933495_cbd30e3735_o.jpg

Gary

@ checksix, WRM tanks dont come to a point at the rear of the tank like the normal ones. The are squared off like those of the F-16 wing tanks.

Edited by adamitri

Ailerons, flaps and horizontal stabs can be light colored from time to time too. And ANY removable panel can be painted green or yellow. I honestly cant remember, but I dont think a C model radome can be put on an E model. I could be wrong though. Its been awhile.

Also, @Checksix, that panel on the nose is not a C model panel, it's an antenna and they were all that color for awhile. Nowadays, that attenna is just gunship gray.

Ah; Roger that.

Thanks for the clarification 70.gif .

Edited by Check Six

Being that I live right down the road from Mountain Home AFB, I'm building this a/c:

1509310.jpg

I like all the mismatched panel colors. And for the halibut I'm going to add a 'C' colored rudder to the mix.

Edited by Check Six

If you want to make 241 REALLY accurate tint the right intake smoke colored on the inside........... When I was in the 391st 05-08 every time she would shut down smoke would billow out of the #2 intake. I would have to stand there for about 5-10 minutes waiting for it to clear so I could jump the tube... or you could make the #1 exhaust sag because the divergent exhaust braces kept breaking. She was a great flyer at Elmendorf but the 391st really knew how to wear out airplanes!

If you want to make 241 REALLY accurate tint the right intake smoke colored on the inside........... When I was in the 391st 05-08 every time she would shut down smoke would billow out of the #2 intake. I would have to stand there for about 5-10 minutes waiting for it to clear so I could jump the tube... or you could make the #1 exhaust sag because the divergent exhaust braces kept breaking. She was a great flyer at Elmendorf but the 391st really knew how to wear out airplanes!

No way; That's awesome insight on this a/c!

So the white part of the intake (Back half) was stained from smoke?

BTW; Do you know if 241 was in Operation Desert Storm?

I know that the Strike Eagle were nOOBs to combat back then and I want to be accurate with the loadout whether it participated in ODS or another operation.

BTW; Do you know if 241 was in Operation Desert Storm?

I might be wrong but I think the birds that went to ODS were fiscal yr 87 and 88 birds. Also, if you are looking for loadouts, go to F-15E.info they have of loadout scenarios.

Edited by adamitri

Adamitri is correct. All jets used in DS were from Seymour Johnson, and had the -220 motors installed. The jet pictured (and all others in the 391st) has the -229 engines.

As far as the original question goes...All F-15E radomes are coated (not painted) with approximately FS36118, but no two come out of the factory looking exactly the same, and weather and many variables have an effect on the color of the radome...leading to the lighter-looking ones you see. According to the Modern Eagle Guide (And supported by what Kelly said above) a "light gray's" radome will not fit on a Strike Eagle, but a Strike's radome will work on an F-15A/B/C/D. So it is possible a dark radome on a light jet, but not visa-versa. From the angle of the photo, I can not tell if the first shot has WRM tanks or if they "stole" them from a light gray. The WRM tanks are bolted together, rather than welded, and so have actual panel lines on the side of them...But they are not visible in the photo.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801

Yes, I was a crew chief on F-15he's at elmendorf in the 90th from 99 to 05 and mountain home in the 3911st from 05 to 08. So I was in the 9011th when we swapped hers with the 391st in 02, and then when I went to Mountain Home those same keys came back there to the 38911th. And 241 is one of the 90th original deliveries in 92 I believe. So that jet has only been in the 2 squadrons and wasn't in service during desert storm.

Yes, I was a crew chief on F-15he's at elmendorf in the 90th from 99 to 05 and mountain home in the 3911st from 05 to 08. So I was in the 9011th when we swapped hers with the 391st in 02, and then when I went to Mountain Home those same keys came back there to the 38911th. And 241 is one of the 90th original deliveries in 92 I believe. So that jet has only been in the 2 squadrons and wasn't in service during desert storm.

Thanks for all the info.

Do you know what operation(s) 241 was involved in so I can get the loadout accurate?

I just like the 241 for all the mis-colored panels; it gives the model character. At last years MO AFB airshow a ground crew member told me the panels come from the factory that way ('C' colored paint). Do the panels wear out or something?

They can crack or wear down. And thats true that some panels come in c model gray. Other times they come in primer. I know the 90th deployed to Kwang Ju with the 229 jets (90-0233 and beyond) in 99 and 01. Im sure they went before that. The next two Strike Eagle deployments were in 03 and 04 with the 220 jets we got from Mountain Home. Also, there was an ONW deployment in Feb 2001 to Turkey. We never deployed from Elmendorf to the Middle East after that. As Far as Mountain Home, I was onl there for 2.5 years and the deployments were during my PCS cycles in and out so I cant really say if she went or not. I will ask the Elmendorf DCC of 241 on facebook if she went to Turkey and Korea and let you know.

Thanks for all the info.

Do you know what operation(s) 241 was involved in so I can get the loadout accurate?

I just like the 241 for all the mis-colored panels; it gives the model character. At last years MO AFB airshow a ground crew member told me the panels come from the factory that way ('C' colored paint). Do the panels wear out or something?

An accurate load out for a 391st F-15E in OEF would be a single Aim-9 and Aim-120 on the outer rails (8B and 2A, respectively), 3 x GBU-38s on the RCFT, 1 x GBU-31A on Sta 5, and 4 x GBU-12s on the LCFT (Sta 3,6,1 and 4). I'm sure 241 probably made it over there at some point.

Here's a picture of that config straight from the AF website.

http://www.af.mil/News/Photos.aspx?igphoto=2000647861

For more info check out www.F-15E.info.

Edited by Falconxlvi