Hi all,

I'm facing a problem on the current build in how to mask off a straight line on a multi-curved surface.

This is what I'm building

27251580880_0a96f83bca_c.jpg

and this is where I'm at

27156029990_7d521d9270_c.jpg

I'm the stage were I need to mask off the Black lines at either side of the Yellow band. I've tried using Tamiya tape cut down to 1mm strips and I've also tried 1mm pin-stripping tape(automotive)but none of them will adhere to the contours on the upper fuselage where the rotor prop shaft is.

Thinking about using decal strips instead but again I'm not sure they would confirm to the contours without distortion.

Any suggestions?

TIA

For the black stripe...the best option would have been to spray the black area first, then lay a strip of tape over the area where the black paint needed to be. Then paint the remaining colors. As a general rule you always paint the lightest color first but the exception to this rule is if you have to paint stripes first....then paint the remaining areas.

Now regarding your question....you can paint tight curvey areas with very narrow tape to mark the edge of the masking. Narrow tape conforms to any curve. Then you use wider tape to fill in the remaining areas to be masked.

My preferred tape is Tamiya masking tape.

To cut masking tape use the tools in the photo below.

Tools.jpg

Steve's absolutely right, you masking stripes first is easiest.

Even with that, you still need a straight line. Ship modelers face this problem in masking the waterline, for example, as shown here. I used the technique to mask the horizontal line along the upper surface of my X-37B.

For this vertical line, perhaps you could place a block with a flat surface and run a pencil along the surface. You'll need a longer pencil so it can remain flat against the block as you run it up an down the fuselage. It would be easier to do this on a cutting mat with a quad grid. Align centerline of the model along one axis and the block surface along the perpendicular axis.

I can see why the contours you pointed out are challenging. I have been using artists' tape that I got from an office supply store. It is the red one here:

IMG_6117.jpg

Obviously, the original width is too much for your application, but I have had success cutting thin strips out of it. It's made of a nylon like material and it is very bendy (easy to make s-curves etc.), especially when it is thin. The sticky side has a nice tact to it, but not too bad to pull the paint off. This might be similar to your pin-striping tape, but I am fairly confident the red tape that I show here would work. It is actually difficult to keep it on a straight line if it is a thin strip. The black tape is dymo, which would not work in your case (too stiff).

Thanks all for the advice. Tried most of the suggestions last night and normally they would work on a 'normal' curve, but where the lines go on the AB205 especially the rear one, it has a number of different curves and angles to adhere to while trying to maintain the straight line. Steve B's suggestion to have painted the Black first is so damn obvious now :doh:

Will try again tonight maybe had an 'off night' last night.

Thanks again

<...> Steve B's suggestion to have painted the Black first is so damn obvious now :doh:

<...>

Can't you still do a variation of that? Here's my idea: Lay down tape in place of the black stripe as a reference. Then mask up to that tape from both sides, either with tape or with something like Maskol, maybe even Blu-Tack rolled and cut into strips (resulting in a hard edge). Then remove the tape covering the area of the black stripe. Apply black paint. Remove other masks. Et voilà!

Moritz,

Thought of that idea as well and although it would probably work, the trouble I was having was trying to get the tape to conform to the curves, angles and tight internal corners of the door runners and the engine cowling. Tried again last night and the results were a lot better so went ahead and sprayed them up.

27469316042_4f4889911a_c.jpg

Overall the result was pretty good with just some minor adjustments needed at the corners.

Thanks all for the advice :thumbsup:

3m Nexcare tape

https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=808&q=3m+nexcare+tape&oq=3m+nexcare+&gs_l=img.1.3.0l5j0i30l4j0i5i30.1822.4093.0.6687.11.11.0.0.0.0.95.913.11.11.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.11.908.DtNeIv8QNnw#imgrc=sjo7wqeMevhVjM%3A

It's very flexible and has relatively low adhesive tack. I cut a piece off the roll and lay it on a piece of glass (clip frames from a dollar store are a great source for these frames). I then use a straight edge to cut long strips. After removing the tape from the glass, I lay it on my pants to remove a bit more of the adhesive and then lay the tape on the model to create the demarcation line I want. It masks compound curves like the feline's behind and there is no paint bleed. I then use paper and tape to fill in the areas I want masked. One roll will last a long time. I get mine at Wal-Mart.

Exhaust.jpg

HTH.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

AX, which type do you get? There's athletic, clear, sensitive skin,etc...

Sorry 'driver. Post edited. It's the absolute waterproof stuff.