Best 1/72 Mig-25 and Mig-31?

Hear, hear to that. Still, no really good MiG-23/27 in 1/72 and the MiG-21 and MiG-29 need a bit of work but that's all part of the fun. Oh, and I am still waiting for those Eduard MiG-15s!!!!

Anyway, back to the topic, the Neomega site refers to their MiG-25 cockpit as fitting the Italeri/Zvezda kit. I keep hearing about Zvezda re-kitting the Condor Foxbat but has anyone seen it?

Well, Aviapress websites has it, but as it costs the double of the Condor kit on Hobbyterra website, I wouldn't order it just to check :D

OK - this is a great opportunity to do some internet model comparisons......

I am sure that between all of us here, we must have at least one of the currently available MiG-31 kits.

I have one almost finished - and another in the box, so I'll make a start...

The ICM kit is their number 72151.

ICM72151.jpg

Panel detail is VERY faint engraved lines

The fuselage is all one piece - from the radome join to the engine exhausts.

Wings have an upper section attached to fuselage - out to the fences. Underside is one piece either side

The fins and engine sides are separate - like the Condor MiG-25 kit.

The radome is separate - as are the intakes (made up from 3 parts each side.

It has a separate IFR probe and underwing stores comprise 4 x R-33, 2 x R-40, 4 x R-60 plus two fuel tanks.

Decal sheet provides markings for 'Red 08' 'Boros Safanov' or 'Blue 74

The Zvezda kit is their number 7229

zvd7229.jpg

Panel detail is deep engraved lines.

Fuselage is made up from upper & lower nose section forward of the intakes (with integral radome).

This is attached to the main fuselage - consisting of lower section with separate side panels for intakes and one piece upper section.

The wings are all one piece - tip-to-tip, upper and lower. The wing is 'trapped' between the upper & lower fuselage halves.

There is a nasty dog-leg join at the rear fuselage - where the stabs fit.

It has no IFR probe and underwing store comprise 4 x R-33, 2 x R-40 and two fuel tanks.

A stand is included - and the decal sheet provides markings for the blue & grey company demonstrator (with Paris buzz number 374) plus an anonymous 'Blue 31'.

Now - can anyone provide a description of the 'other' Zvezda kit - number 7244, plus the Condor, BOTH Eastern Express AND the Kopro & MAC Distributions versions.

Maybe we can nail these kits down ??? http://www.aviapress.com/search.htm?where=...&Go.x=8&Go.y=13

Cheers

Ken

The new Revell kit (avoid the old original Revell kit, brought out in 1989, it's horrible and looks more like a pipe with wings than a Mig-31, also brought out by Kangnam and a Portugese firm, forgot the name, but this time with raised panel lines) is just a rebox of the Zvesda kit (without the refueling probe), with much better decals and much better instructions.

You could always buy the Begemont decals, but the Revell decals are just as good as the Begemont ones and also include instrument panel decals.

Part produces (I think 2) PE sets for the Zvesda/Revell Mig-31 kit.

Regards,

JĂƒÂŒrgen

Edited by Flyingraptor

Just since it was mentioned...you know what the great tragedy of the old Revell Foxhound is? It was made before decent photos were available, so Revell copied almost EXACTLY, to the rivet and panel line, a set of drawings released by the Department of Defense showing the configuration. Compared with that, it's almost a perfect match other than the canopy. What a supreme pity, such wasted effort. :banana:

OK - this is a great opportunity to do some internet model comparisons......

I am sure that between all of us here, we must have at least one of the currently available MiG-31 kits...

Cheers

Ken

I think that this is a brilliant idea :cheers: ! Especially considering that I was just about to place an order for a Revell Mig-31 kit, the new issue Revell and an apparent copy of the...or one of the...Zvezda Mig-31 kits (are all the Zvezda Mig-31ñ€ℱs essentially the same?). Squadron has the Eastern Express kit (which as I understand it is a copy of the ICM kit which in turn is a copy of the Condor kitñ€©if you can keep track of the ñ€Ɠcopiesñ€ as they go by). So, based on what has been posted so far, it is still a toss up as to which kit (Zvezda or Condor/ICM/Easter Express) is the most accurate Mig-31, but it seems as though the Zvezda is a little easier to assemble, but with trenches for panel lines. Now, what of these other Mig-31ñ€ℱs, Zhengdegu, Kangnam, and Kitechñ€©are they not even in the cards, being perhaps copies of the older Revell Mig-31 from 1989?

Now, as far as the Mig-25 is concerned, it seems as though Condor is the kit to get as I have not heard any posters argue against that. Question is, does anyone know where I might order one from a North American online HS? Squadron does not carry them.

Again, awesome job here guys! Excellent information and so very useful to say the least, I really appreciate this :banana: !

Kindest regards,

Don

Hi Don

I think that this is a brilliant idea :banana: ! Especially considering that I was just about to place an order for a Revell Mig-31 kit, the new issue Revell and an apparent copy of the...or one of the...Zvezda Mig-31 kits (are all the Zvezda Mig-31ñ€ℱs essentially the same?). Squadron has the Eastern Express kit (which as I understand it is a copy of the ICM kit which in turn is a copy of the Condor kitñ€©if you can keep track of the ñ€Ɠcopiesñ€ as they go by).

I doubt that the word 'copy' is correct. 'rebox' should be more correct. It's very possible that Condor injects the plastic found inside Eastern Express, Mastercraft, ICM... and Condor boxes.

Now, what of these other Mig-31ñ€ℱs, Zhengdegu, Kangnam, and Kitechñ€©are they not even in the cards, being perhaps copies of the older Revell Mig-31 from 1989?

The old Revell kit is a rebox of a Tsukuda kit. The Zhengdegu, Kangnam, and Kitech kits you mention are probably copies (not reboxes) of the Tsukuda kit.

Laurent

Edited by Laurent

I have two 1/72 scale Mig-31's. The first one I bought was by a Chinese company called Zhengdefu I think. Terrible model that one, it got used in a What-If project. The second one I bought was the ICM kit like the picture posted just above. At least on this kit the main wheels look correct. The Zhengdefu kit's main wheels look like a Mig-25's in size only with the four wheels it's all out of scale compared to the ICM kit. Plus it looks like the Matchbox man had been employed to make the moulds as some of the panel lines are like trenches.

Has anyone mentioned the Hasegawa 1/72 Mig-25, I've got one of those. Very basic

Robert

Edited by kitnut617
Hi Don

I doubt that the word 'copy' is correct. 'rebox' should be more correct...

My humble apologies, I did not want to get caught up into a debate on semantics as things were kind of confusing to me as it was with regards to whoñ€ℱs kit was what and in which box (perhaps it was confusing to others as well?). Rather I was trying to keep things simple and easy to follow. At least, that was my intention.

Regardless, thank you for the info.

Regards,

Don

Can I just clarify - and try to clear up the confusion.

First, lets forget about the Hasegawa kit - and all its re-boxings.

AFAIK - and please correct me if I am wrong - there are only TWO MiG-31 kits.

They originated with ICM & Condor - each company producing a different kit.

Again - please confirm/deny that this is correct.

If we stick with the description that the ICM-originated kit has a separate radome and wings (left & right) and the Condor-originated kit has a separate front fuselage with integral radome and a one-piece wings, then it might be simpler to identify which re-boxings are which.

I think that Zvezda have re-boxed both kits - with different catalogue numbers - as have Eastern Express.

So - get out your MiG-31 kits and put them into either of the two categories - based on whether the radome is separate or not.

Your task, gentlemen, should you accept it, is to provide a description of the following...........

Zvezda kit number 7244. Eastern Express kit numbers 72115 & 72116 and Condor kit 003.

Ken

This post will self-desctruct in 2 minutes.

Now - can anyone provide a description of the 'other' Zvezda kit - number 7244, plus the Condor, BOTH Eastern Express AND the Kopro & MAC Distributions versions.

I have the MAC Distribution and Kopro kits. Both are the Condor reboxes in different coloured plastic. MAC distribution gives you a PE for front and rear instrument panels (no side panels), ejection seat handles and some antennas. The Kopro kit came with this Russian modern weapons set (don't know who makes it originally).

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2006/novemb...icm_sovweps.php

Can I just clarify - and try to clear up the confusion

AFAIK - and please correct me if I am wrong - there are only TWO MiG-31 kits.

They originated with ICM & Condor - each company producing a different kit.

Again - please confirm/deny that this is correct.

Ken, I think you might be confused :cheers: It has been already determined several times in this thread that there are two kits worthy of attention (besides the old Revell/Zhengdefu, etc) and that they come from Condor (soft panel lines) and Zvezda (wide and deep panel lines).

Zvezda kit comes in two editions (without and with refueling probe - the latter being MiG-31B) and is reboxed by Revell recently.

Condor kit comes only with the probe (so no early MiG-31 variant) and is reboxed by Eastern Express, ICM, MAC Distribution and Kopro (maybe KP also?).

ICM clearly didn't make the other MiG-31 since it boxes the Condor version.

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2006/januar...s/icm_mig31.php

There is no doubt to this.

Edited by ijozic

Well, I just ordered the New Revell Mig-31 and the Eastern Express Mig-31...so if I read all of the posts correctly, I should have a copy/rebox of the Condor (Eastern Express) kit and the Zvezda ("New" Revell) kit.

I can't wait for them to arrive :cheers: !

Regards,

Don

• 9 months later...

Ok guys, a quick question related to this thread. I am currently working my way thru rescribing the very faint panel lines on the Condor MiG-25. I know from the discussion above that the Zvezda kit is the same kit. Here is my question, does the Zvezda boxing have the same faint panel lines as the Condor kit? If not, I'll pick up the Zvzda kit and save myself the trouble of rescribing the Condor kit. Anyone out there have both kits and can answer this question? Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

I don't have the Zvezda kit but I really doubt that there's any difference in the depth of the panel lines.

It looks like people can do washes on Condor kits. Look at the MiG-29s in the gallery of the Hobbyterra web site.