Problem solved! I don't have to make a choice. I posted elsewhere that I bought the 1/48 Hase F-18F for 32.50 online at Hobbybuy.com. With shipping it came to $40. Good deal, and I was able to put the extra I would have paid retail toward a BB ACS pit and some of Brian's decals.

Now that I have a Hase F on the way, I went down to Hobby Lobby with my 40% coupon and got a Revell E for 10.88 out the door! I looked at it in the box and it looks pretty nice. It is certainly worth 10.88. I don't know when they will get the Revell F on the shelf, but I guess I won't need one anyway! However, my Revell E did not come with any air to ground ordnance. I thought it was supposed to have JDAMS? Anyway, I will get some decent E decals from somewhere and bootleg cast the front half of the BB F cockpit and I will be good to go.....cheap!

Problem solved! I don't have to make a choice. I posted elsewhere that I bought the 1/48 Hase F-18F for 32.50 online at Hobbybuy.com. With shipping it came to $40. Good deal, and I was able to put the extra I would have paid retail toward a BB ACS pit and some of Brian's decals.

Now that I have a Hase F on the way, I went down to Hobby Lobby with my 40% coupon and got a Revell E for 10.88 out the door! I looked at it in the box and it looks pretty nice. It is certainly worth 10.88. I don't know when they will get the Revell F on the shelf, but I guess I won't need one anyway! However, my Revell E did not come with any air to ground ordnance. I thought it was supposed to have JDAMS? Anyway, I will get some decent E decals from somewhere and bootleg cast the front half of the BB F cockpit and I will be good to go.....cheap!

AB has a hot new SH sheet coming...

The reason you didn't get the ordnance was because you bought the VFA-122 boxing.

Gotta get the VFA-14 one to get the bombs..

I picked up a couple at that price. Thanks for the link.

For me spending 3x the price of the Revell to get dropped flaps is to much, but for 10 bucks more the hasegawa kit has the advantage. I love it when stuff is on sale. :thumbsup:

I picked up a couple at that price. Thanks for the link.

Well it was someone else in another thead who tipped me off. I was gonna wait for the Revell F to show at Hobby Lobby. But the price was just too good to pass up, really. The funny thing is, I STILL ended up paying over three times what I paid for the E at Hobby Lobby to get the Hase F. Hobby Lobby had the Revell E for 16.95 minus the 40% coupon. I did not know there were two boxings of the Revell E. I'm kinda bumbed out about not getting the JDAMs.

okay folks, more importantly When are flap sets coming out? I've got a Revell E all chopped up and waiting for a resin set...

anybody?...

Beuller?

Jotter! Where have you been man? I haven't seen many posts from you lately. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong forums. Hope all is well!

I bet Dr. Pepper could come out with some. I think I remember a discussion where he said someone had been working on them and he didn't want to step on toes. That's what's great about him! If he finds out that project isn't going anywhere, maybe he'll take the ball and run with it. Twould be nice!

Jotter! Where have you been man? I haven't seen many posts from you lately. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong forums. Hope all is well!

I bet Dr. Pepper could come out with some. I think I remember a discussion where he said someone had been working on them and he didn't want to step on toes. That's what's great about him! If he finds out that project isn't going anywhere, maybe he'll take the ball and run with it. Twould be nice!

Hey Darren

Any chance of you (or Dr Pepper) solving our drop tank problem for us?

Aaron

I hate emoticons. However...........

If someone created an emoticon of one of those faces holding a ten foot pole not touching a topic, I would use it every time this question gets asked!

Dave

This one?

:redx:

Lol

Take Care

did i hear my name being called?

anyway, tis' true about the flaps. i'm not taking it up - we should have a private manufacturers forum for this kind of thing - to discuss what else needs to be done. The flaps set, well, a ARC-based company has already mastered it and is looking for a US-based caster. i could go and master it and cast it, but it'd not be to anyone's benefit, except maybe you guys would have more choice.

drop tanks... maybe. but i'm not so much a hornet guy... yet. i already have a few ongoing projects for the F-16: seamless,drop-in fit NSI and MCID intakes, other spine modifications (peace puma, RSAF etc), plus a GE nozzle (oops. shouldn't have said that...), and the rest of the stuff you'd need to make an IDF F-16D. which is also why i'm building one concurrently...

David

Okay, who's got the masters for the flaps? If I could get a look at them, I might be able to cast them. I could at least give it the old college try. I'll look at doing tanks over Christmas break. I don't think it would be too difficult. The only draw back would be that they would have to come in two pieces. At this stage of the game, I don't want to mess with two-part molds. I'm a "pour and pull" kind of guy! B)

...and every time I try to buy Revell's one, I see the big inaccurencies on the boxside's photos: sorry, but I can't buy this crap.
How do you do the wing fold on the Revell kit? I am looking at the instructions, and I don't see anything about the wing fold.

Maybe the two of you are looking at the old re-boxed Italeri kits. Such as THIS.

This is the new Revell F/A-18E as it is sold in Germay and it fdefinitely has wings that allow wingfold.

878-deckel.jpg

carrierdeck5.jpg

:blink: B) :P

Okay, who's got the masters for the flaps? If I could get a look at them, I might be able to cast them. I could at least give it the old college try. I'll look at doing tanks over Christmas break. I don't think it would be too difficult. The only draw back would be that they would have to come in two pieces. At this stage of the game, I don't want to mess with two-part molds. I'm a "pour and pull" kind of guy! :(

Darren,

They're mine, or ours as 3rd Wire. The test molds I did on them required at least a glove mold more most of the parts, save the ailerons and outboard LE flaps. The hinges and wingfold parts will require two-part or glove molding plus vac and prssure casting. The hinges are a turd to get right for me!!!

I'll dig around to find the pics I took of the masters. I just moved, so I'm still living out of boxes for a while. If you bug Bugfan, he'll get yall some pics!

Take Care,

Thomas

Hey David,

Jack here!!! A glove mold is almost like a regular mold, with the exception of being split in one direction. This split makes it easier to remove the cast product from the mold. It makes things with large overlaps easier to cast. The mold should last longer because it is not being bent/stretched out of shape for removal! Hope this helps.

Jack aka BUGFAN

Dang Jack,

You beat me to the punch. I hate timezones!

David, You pour just like a one part mold and then split the mold before de-molding the master, or you pour like a two part mold and add mold release to everything but the base of the mold. You'll end up with a slight seam, but not dramatic is you split the mold right.

Dang Jack,

You beat me to the punch. I hate timezones!

David, You pour just like a one part mold and then split the mold before de-molding the master, or you pour like a two part mold and add mold release to everything but the base of the mold. You'll end up with a slight seam, but not dramatic is you split the mold right.

Hey, I do that. I never knew it was called a glove mold. It sure does make pulling the one piece molds much easier. The flash is so thin, you never know it was there.

Well, I took a look at my new Revell F-18E and I must say first impressions are very positive. I read that review over on Hyperscale. Talk about obsessive, but to each his own. The Revell kit may have some minor inaccuracies(OMG, the pizza box is a little off), but this thing will build up into a beauty with the right touch. I certainly do not understand how someone could think of it as a POS. It is damn nice work by Revell and I do not think the Hasegawa kit could possibly be worth three times the money. Dropping the flaps will require some skill, but in my opinion you are better off doing the flap work and taking the extra money a Hase kit would cost you and buying a resin pit to hack into the Revell. However, as long as that 32.50 deal for a Hase F is going on at Hobby Buy, it probably makes sense to spring for that. They can't have many of those left.

Ok, if you people don't stop your freakin' bitchin' about the 2 different kits I'm taking your decals away.....yeah..that's it...the decals... :cheers:

Both kits are great, now let's move on and build one or two, then we can all gripe about how they both sucked while we built them.

Edited by VF-103guy