spectacular shots!

what camera were you using?

what size are the originals

please post more,MUCH MORE!!!!!!!!!!!! :whistle:

Thank you. It's a I am a spammer....please report this post. 650 that I bought in 87. I still use to this day at airshows. These photo were scanned from 3x5"(on average) prints. Some have been cropped to clean them up a bit.

This 1st one is from a CARQUAL in July of 91. We were pretty upset to have go back out so soon after coming home from Desert Storm. Kind of a jinxed at sea period because we lost 1 Tomcat to a A/G failure, 1 A-6 to a tailhook failure( it took out 3 or 4 brand new Hornets from VMFAT-101)and at least 3 crunches where we had to chain those birds off. the cool thing was having Hornets aboard (I hadn't seen any since leaving the Midway) and getting to see A-7s fly. <_<

Eddie

61shooter.jpg

These are from various other times.

Picture870.jpg

Picture813.jpg

Picture835.jpg

Picture857.jpg

Absolutley stunning photos. I love the VF-1 photos and the BUFF low pass. I was a little surprised by the KC-10 low pass. <_< :yahoo: :)

Darwin

Thanks Darvin! We had a BUFF come by that all you could see from the flightdeck was the vertical stab going by like a shark. :whistle: The KC-10 was treat because we were in the middle of the Persian Gulf. It always paid to have my camera handy. :) Here's a few formations. The last one I got from the Photoshop on the Midway.

Eddie

2.jpg

Hawkeyesplit.jpg

Picture692.jpg

Picture703.jpg

Ahhh. K-rock. Good to know it's always been brown!

Nice pics...love the A-6!

Spongebob

I used to tell people it wasn't hell on earth, but you could see it from there. ;)

Alright, my mishap photos.

This was a hot pit fire resulting in the death of the B/N. We ( the Midway) came back to Cubi the morning after the incident and I took these pix from the flightdeck. Eyeball liberty only. The article with investigation are in the links.

Picture697.jpg

VA-115Cubifire.jpg

Picture681.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scu.../Picture723.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scu.../Picture724.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/scu.../Picture725.jpg

This one is a Tomcat from VF-2 that got blown into the port catwalk. That me in in the ultra cool unsat tube socks on top of the bird getting it ready to attach the sling and get ready to recover 28 low state aircraft.

It was freaky to see them launching tankers with the landing area fouled. Very motivating to say the least.

Picture809.jpg

Some banged up Hornets after an A-6 broke a tailhook and ran into the pack on the port cat. crew ejected, landed on deck, OK. 2 days before we lost a Tomcat to A/G failure, crew ejected recovered off the port side ,all OK.

Picture823.jpg

Picture821.jpg

Picture814.jpg

Last up is the T-2 that augered in at the end of the runway in at NAS Kingsville. Crew ejected, all OK.

Eddie

T-2crashNASKV.jpg

I take it by the picture of you rigging the sling that you WEREN'T a PH - which makes the body of work that much more impressive!

Thank you!! Nope, just your average knucklehead ABH (Aviation Broom Handler :worship: ) The one of me on the Tomcat I did get from a PH. Over the years, I shot hundreds of photos to get a few gems. Back then, I would shoot a few rolls and mail them to a processer. After a few weeks, I'd get them back, or I'd hold on to the rolls till we hit the P.I. or Hong Kong, or got back "home"( Yokosuka or San Diego) I spent a considerable amount of time scanning many photos and only scratched the surface. Here's a few of me back in the day with some of my favorite aircraft. Just a kid. I wonder what happened to him :lol:

Eddie

USS Midway

VFA192.jpg

USS Ranger

me202.jpg

NAS Kingsville

Picture791.jpg

Nice work Eddie! I evidently should have taken much more in order to get more gems off my first couple cruises :beer4: (Though I did manage to "bother" some Army folks at Bagram who seemed to think their Blackhawks weren't technically "photogenic"!!)

Maybe you can answer this - why is it "Crash and Salvage" instead of, say, "Crash and RESCUE"?? That part always struck me as needlessly ominous... :thumbsup:

Nice work Eddie! I evidently should have taken much more in order to get more gems off my first couple cruises :) (Though I did manage to "bother" some Army folks at Bagram who seemed to think their Blackhawks weren't technically "photogenic"!!)

Maybe you can answer this - why is it "Crash and Salvage" instead of, say, "Crash and RESCUE"?? That part always struck me as needlessly ominous... :lol:

I don't know the real answer, but I would imagine it's because of ejection seats. If it's a crash, usually the aircraft has been "vacated" at that point. I know the shore based guys used to be called( maybe still are?)Crash, fire ,rescue. Besides, that's a lot of stenciling for an AB! :lol: Seriously though, we practiced rescues a lot. I was in charge of teaching the new guys how to shut down engines, turn off O2, batteries, safe seats, undo koch fittings,etc...... to effect a rescue. We were even give instruction on how to stop a pilot from trying to eject (don't want to be over him when that goes off!) after a crash and he's come to after being knocked out. :D

For you Prowler fans.....

Eddie

IC607.jpg

Picture454.jpg

Picture715.jpg

Picture678.jpg

Picture755.jpg

Picture768.jpg

Thanks again Everyone! I'm glad y'all are enjoying them. It's a pleasure to share a bit of the Navy's history. Tonight's installement....

The 1st one is when the Midway was the offical carrier of the 88 Summer Olympics. Check out the cheerios on the E-2C. :lol:

Picture677.jpg

Picture443.jpg

421.jpg

MissPiggy.jpg

whaletale2.jpg

I must say that working on the flightdeck was hard work and the long hours, but when I was able to get photos at the beginning and end of the day like these, it sure takes the rough edge off those memories.

Eddie

Picture894.jpg

Picture769.jpg

Picture708.jpg

angledecksunset.jpg

Picture905.jpg

Picture897.jpg

Picture895.jpg

Eddie,

I'm lovin' these photos! Thanks for sharing them, & thanks for doing your part to keep us free! :cheers:

-Mike

My pleasure. The fun thing about my time in was that I got trained to be an aviation firefighter and work around jets all day and night. It was my dream! And get this. I got to see a major part of the world in the process.. for free! Can't beat that. Plus, it translated into my world now. I've been a firefighter(volunteer now) for 20yrs and my job now is making explosive cartridges for fire extinguishing systems in military and civilian aircraft. As Korn said in the song, I got the life! :P

Your thank you for my service is greatly appreciated and it reminded me of a photo I took when we were coming home to North Island after Desert Storm. This was one of the welcome home displays we saw coming into the channel. It still makes me misty to this day.... :lol:

Eddie

Picture837.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing these brings back alot of memories of the flightdeck when i was in. I swear i can smell the avgas. Working as a Photomate on the deck was one of the greatest times in the navy. Until i lost all my slides in a fire that is. Thanks for the flashbacks Eddie

Former US Navy PH2

Jim