Airbrush cleaning tools?

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what types of tools you use to clean out your airbrushes?

I usually spray some windex or lacquer thinner through mine to get out any paint, but the needle still seems to stick sometimes, even after I add a drop of lubricant.

I think that I have to get some kind of bottle brush that can go down the entire length of the AB, but I've yet to see one anywhere.

What do you guys use? Do you think something like a pipe cleaner from an arts and crafts store would work?

Thanks,

Grant

A stiff bristled paint brush to get the colour cup scrubbed clean, some Oral-B interdental brushes for cleaning out the paint path, Qtips for swabbing the cap and the body, and occaisionally a needle if the nozzle gets blocked.

Cheers,

Matt

Dis-assemble and clean after each painting session, blow thinners through until it comes out clear, disassemble body, remove and clean needle between colours. Keeping your airbrush clean is essential for decent performance, and failure to do so will result in poor paint jobs and aviodable wear and damage to your brush. The main tools I use are pipe-cleaners, tissue and Q-tips. Microbrushes are handy for cleaning out the inside of the spray head, too.

Think of cleaning your airbrush in terms of cleaning your rifle - something that's good for the soul and not to be skimped!

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by pingu1

Hi Grant,

Another nice tool is the "micro-brush." They can be quite handy to access hard to reach crevices. Also, bottle brushes are obviously too large for your stated obvective of running something through the whole body of the AB, but there are smaller alternatives. Check out an aquarium store. They have flexible wire brushes that are much smaller in diameter than bottle brushes.

Also, don't know if you are a Sens fan, but that fight last night has got to be the talk of the town! Ray Emery is a bad azz!

Cheers,

Shawn

You don't mention the type of airbrush you have, the type will obviously influence the cleaning tools needed.

When you disasseble the brush for cleaning, is it possible to remove the needle from the front instead or rear? Some (most?) models have a gasket at the rear of the paint chamber that would normally prevent paint from getting back in the body of the brush especially if the needle is not pulled out from the rear.

I also use fine (~22 gauge) or very fine (~30 gauge) wire (depending on which tip I use) to clear the tip should that be necessary.

I've got 2 Azteks (I know, I know...) and I typically use only Q-tips, a rag, and lacquer thinner to really clean it. Since I typically only spray acrylics, water is fine for usual cleaning, but every few uses, I disassemble the nozzles, and soak the 2 plastic pieces, the spring, and the needle in laquer thinner for a while, blow LT through the brush, and swab/rub the inside and outside of the airbrush body with LT. I disassemble the color cups and wipe the paint out with LT.

OF course, when I do this, I always wear rubber gloves, and do the whole operation in my spray booth, with the fan running. Lacquer thinner is nasty stuff, poisonous and carcinogenic. So I always deal with it while gloved and vented.

20 yrs ago when I got my Badger 350, which I still use, I had to figure this out without ARC...and eventually my "style," if you will, evolved to using a small eyedropper with the thin/pointy end to "blast" enamel thinner through all the bits except the paint cup (I just use the jar, haven't had a paint cup in years). And, crude though it sounds, I use tissue/toilet paper twisted to a point to swab out the bits after being flushed with thinner. And a simple wipedown of the jar, sometimes with the paper slightly wetted with thinner. Works like a charm!

One other great tool for helping to keep air brushes clean are Pipe Cleaners. They would perform the task of the long bottle brush that you mentioned. I use them to cleaning tips, cups etc. Get them from a craft store or from a tobacco counter.

Clare

Being a pipe smoker I've always got these laying around...

You can buy them by at smokingpipes.com here in the US. $0.99 per 60 for the regular ones... a little dip in the Lacquer Thinner and go to town...also make them with plastic bristles. Great for breaking up thick spots...

3024.jpg

qtip.jpg

paper_towel.jpg

44958-1007-2ww-m.jpg

:yahoo:

Being a pipe smoker I've always got these laying around...

You can buy them by at smokingpipes.com here in the US. $0.99 per 60 for the regular ones... a little dip in the Lacquer Thinner and go to town...also make them with plastic bristles. Great for breaking up thick spots...

3024.jpg

qtip.jpg

paper_towel.jpg

44958-1007-2ww-m.jpg

:cheers:

I'm also a pipe smoker and have found the bristle-type cleaners very effective.

Recently I got two sets of small nylon bristle brushes from PSF Hobbies on Ebay; one for cleaning the A/B and the other for cleaning my pipe! These work very nicely!

In addition, I use Microbrushes and Q-Tips (as mentioned above). I routinely spray a mix of Windex and Isopropyl before and after each painting session, swabbing out the color cup and the passage that leads into the body of the A/B with a Q-Tip. After every three or four sessions I spray and backflush mineral spirits through the brush. After every project is complete I field strip the brush and soak the parts in mineral spirits; then, upon reassembly, spray and backflush with more mineral spirits.

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

OBD, I always knew why I seemed to like you and your posts come across with such wisdom and bredth of knowledge :angry:

Aww shucks! Thanks Aggie96!

There does seem to be something about pipe-smoking that's conducive to thoughtfulness and reflection!

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

OBD, I always knew why I seemed to like you and your posts come across with such wisdom and bredth of knowledge :whistle:
Aww shucks! Thanks Aggie96!

There does seem to be something about pipe-smoking that's conducive to thoughtfulness and reflection!

Cheers

Old Blind Dog

Good to see some positive press about smoking for a change. ;)