What if Schemes

Greetings!

First, I want to say that this thread might be the most entertaining thread I have ever found on the Internet. I spent about three hours just on this thread the first day I found this site. There are a lot of quality artists and lots of quality art here.

I found this website a few days ago looking for some images and three-view line drawings of the YF-23. I'd like to draw a CVN(X) (or CVN-21, whatever it's called today) with F-23Ns, F-35Cs, A-12As and X-47 UCAS-Ds on deck. The only thing that has been eluding me are quality YF-23 three-views. I have always wondered what a production F-23 built for the USN with two-dimensional thrust vectoring would look like, but I haven't been able to find any quality three-view line drawings to modify.

Once again, thanks for the site, and thanks for sharing your great work!

Chris

Greetings!

First, I want to say that this thread might be the most entertaining thread I have ever found on the Internet. I spent about three hours just on this thread the first day I found this site. There are a lot of quality artists and lots of quality art here.

I found this website a few days ago looking for some images and three-view line drawings of the YF-23. I'd like to draw a CVN(X) (or CVN-21, whatever it's called today) with F-23Ns, F-35Cs, A-12As and X-47 UCAS-Ds on deck. The only thing that has been eluding me are quality YF-23 three-views. I have always wondered what a production F-23 built for the USN with two-dimensional thrust vectoring would look like, but I haven't been able to find any quality three-view line drawings to modify.

First off, welcome to ARC and we're glad you've enjoyed this thread.

As old as the YF-23 program is, any decent three-view will be hard to come by, and those that you do find will be of the YF-23, not the production version (as you may recall, the YF-22 changed quite a bit from the prototype to the production F-22A and it's reasonable to presume the YF-23 would have undergone some changes into a production aircraft).

This is the best that I could find

northrop_f-23.gif

But like you, I was unhappy with the drawings, so I just did my own based off of Testors kit instructions and public domain photos of the F-22A). So far, I've got a side view of a single and two-seater, and top and bottom of the single seater (though there are some discrepancies as I drew them at separate times).

As for the 2-D thrust vectoring, I'm not sure the F-23 would have had that since the exhausts themselves were so far into the airframe and there's a fair amount of airframe underneath the exhausts.

yf-23_4.jpg

yf23-7.jpg

yf-23_jpg.jpg

02WMF-YF23-6.jpg

As for the 2-D thrust vectoring, I'm not sure the F-23 would have had that since the exhausts themselves were so far into the airframe and there's a fair amount of airframe underneath the exhausts.

The YF-23 as designed wouldn't have been able to handle 2-d thrust vectoring. My thought was to move the exhaust nozzles aft, so rather than having the IR cooling tiles as shown in your last image (a great find, by the way! I haven't seen that image before), they would have thrust vectoring similar to the production F-22. I'm not sure how realistic that would have been, but I think it probably could have been done.

By the way, I LOVE your profiles. Got plans for any more?

Chris

Thank you Chris.

Future profiles, yes. I've got some ideas in various stages, including an FB-23, but it has been very difficult lately to devote time to them since I've been so busy at work. (Even this weekend, I've been to the office twice already and will likely go back in the morning). But I'm going to work on a Hungarian Viper and see where I am on my -23s this evening.

The YF-23 as designed wouldn't have been able to handle 2-d thrust vectoring. My thought was to move the exhaust nozzles aft, so rather than having the IR cooling tiles as shown in your last image (a great find, by the way! I haven't seen that image before), they would have thrust vectoring similar to the production F-22. I'm not sure how realistic that would have been, but I think it probably could have been done.

That would be possible, there are two things that would definitely have changed if the F-23 had become a production item: the large humps over the engines would have greatly shrunk in size. They were there to cover the thrust-reversing system, which was a requirement that was dropped before the YF-23 ever flew (it was not even fitted to the prototypes). However, that portion of the airframe design was already frozen when the requirement was dropped, so the YF-23 flew with the humps anyway.

Also, the forward fuselage would have been quite a bit longer. The YF-23 only had the underfuselage AMRAAM bay, and no side bays for Sidewinders. That was planned for the production F-23, and there was no space in the prototype for the bays. The plan was to stretch the forward fuselage and insert a 'Winder bay on each side.

Personally I also think the nose outline would have changed quite a bit, as that radome is awfully small, and probably would have grown to something closer to F-22 proportions had the design gone forward.

Welcome Aboard ARC Chris ...

I remember reading a quote by a Northrop engineer were he said that the YF-23 with out the Thrust Vectoring nozzles was as maneuverable as the YF-22 with them ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost

But I'm going to work on a Hungarian Viper and see where I am on my -23s this evening.

:huh:

For sure Trigger meant he will be working on a Romanian Viper... :)

Cheers everyone!

Niki

:)

LOL, yes, thank you for that correction. I do have Romainian markings and reference pix already downloaded. But I wrote that post before eating dinner, resulting in a slight Freudian slip there. Sorry!

Trigger,

Thank you very much for the time and effort put into those profiles! I (and others, for sure) trully appreciate it.

Let's hope (whatever scheme will eventually adopted by the Romanians) that the real thing will look at least as nice as these here.

Thanks again :cheers:

Cheers!

Niki

P.S.: I will link your post to a Romanian modelling forum; just to share the F-16 LanceR :cheers: with those guys also.

One of the coolest things about this thread is you discover great schemes you would have NEVER thought of on your own and those Romanian Vipers are a perfect example. The top one just begs to built!! very unique Trigger!

Semper Fi,

Ben

Dude you better stop flashing that thing around here unless you're working on it again!

Matt

As a matter of fact, I am!

F-100 intake orders and my newest ZactoArt painting are slowing me down, but the 23 is back on the workbench!

Chris

Welcome to ARC fellow YF-23 fan!

I only wish I could share my references with you, but alas, the Men in Black might get upset...

You should check out SecretProjects forum. You will need to enroll to view the pics, but there's some real interesting stuff there regarding the 23 and proposed variants including a whole thread about the FB-23.

And in case you haven't seen it, check out the 1/32 YF-23 kit I am doing patterns for: >>>Here<<<

:salute:

Those Romanian vipers are really cool! :salute:

Too bad it'll never happen, though. I guess we'll rather see more borrrrring grey on greys. :banana:

Edited by ChernayaAkula

Thank you very much gentlemen, and once again, I apologize for that mix-up (and now you know why when I come to power, I'm appointing Fuji as my Secretary of State). I promise, I do know they are separate nations; it was late and I was tired and hungry. But I'm glad that the final result turned out okay and that you're happy with it.

Regards,

Trigger

I only wish I could share my references with you, but alas, the Men in Black might get upset...

No worries, especially if it results in a 1:32 YF-23. I haven't built a model in ages, but that could almost pull me back into the hobby!

The only problem is what scheme would I paint it? YF-23 PAV1 or 2? USN? One of those wonderful Japanese schemes?

You should check out SecretProjects forum. You will need to enroll to view the pics, but there's some real interesting stuff there regarding the 23 and proposed variants including a whole thread about the FB-23.

Thanks! I registered and am awaiting approval.

Also, I love the F-16 schemes. I never was a big fan of them (I'm more of a navy guy), but they sure do "clean up well"!

Again, thanks everyone.

Chris

Thank you very much gentlemen, and once again, I apologize for that mix-up (and now you know why when I come to power, I'm appointing Fuji as my Secretary of State). I promise, I do know they are separate nations; it was late and I was tired and hungry. But I'm glad that the final result turned out okay and that you're happy with it.

Regards,

Trigger

Trigger, we all get those 'Dubya' moments ... :thumbsup::coolio:

Those Romanian Vipers look Sweet ! :woot.gif:

Gregg

I so rarely get to add to this thread because i'm not a computer Guru, so heres my chance: IJA F-15. new fins, new seat, a few other minor additions.

p1010103au2.th.jpg

Look, it's an Imperial Japanese Army Air Corps F-15. <_<

Hmmmm, what code name shall we give this one? How about- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries F-15J "Tom"