F-14 Tomcat Parking Only

Don't suppose you would what RIO was printed on the side of NFWS 30 would you?

No Maverick , my first visit to the NFWS was in Oct 1993 , but the NFWS has always been one of my favourites.

But I will check my files .

Cheer, Henk

Edited by sundowner

While I am on here I wonder if someone might have any information on the aircraft in the following video:

This is a video which I uplaoded from a dvd of various Tomcat programs.

I knwo that the BuNo is believed to be 163412 and was the first F-14D out of Calverton and delived to VX-4 in 1990. The aircraft does carry the NAVY or BuNo data labels in the video as it was apparantly common practice to do that for media or public events for the test units.

What I want to know is what is the name of the pilot labelled on the side of the fuselage. I have already nailed down the RIO as being Lt Kevin "MACE" Mason and the pilots call sign appears to be "GUS" or something like that. Given that the video is at least 21 years old, it is fairly grainy therefore difficult to make out what the pilots name is.

If someone knows anything or has the ability to enhance this video to make it readable I would be very grateful.

Hope some one can help with this.

Hi Maverick ,

The F-14D in the video is the Vandy-50 of VX-4 BuNo 163413 , the 163412 went to NAWC-WD I think ..... , the names on this Tomcat ( XF-50) on the STARBOARD side are :

pilot : LT Robert Allen call sign "Bullet" and RIO LT Rick Doran call sign "U-Dog". ( Oct 1990 )

It was common practise to have different crew names on both sides of the VX-4 jets , alas I don't know the names on the Port side .

BTW the name of the plane captain was ADAN Curtis , stenciled on the Starboard nosegear door.

HTH Henk

Edited by sundowner

No Maverick , my first visit to the NFWS was in Oct 1993 , but the NFWS has always been one of my favourites.

But I will check my files .

Cheer, Henk

Maverick ,

I have checked my slide collection and found this name for the RIO on the NFWS 30 (May 1992) : LCDR G.R.Beaman , callsign "Steamer" Executive officer .

If someone would like to correct me , please do !!

HTH Henk

Still mining and gleaning from the Tomcat digital archives. I just found this gem the other day. Love the way the light fell on it as it was taking off on one of its final sorties.

Tomcats Forever,

Dave

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/88636/M/USA-Navy/Grumman-F-14D-Tomcat/164603/

Edited by Sig Saur & Son
  • 4 weeks later...

not sure if these have been posted before, but came across these great ref. pics in my recent digging around:

40913_37948.jpg

Just out of curiosity what type of missile is that on this Ali cat, it's not a Phoenix, so not knowing of any such missile developed by Iran it must a Russian A2A adapted to the 'cats FCS. To me it almost looks like a Hawk SAM type adapted for A2A. That or Iran is trying to reverse engineer an AIM-54 with fin mods.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Gregg, I have at least three different Tomcat squadrons with Olympic Rings applied to the nose cone.

Well, I remember VF-74 had the Rings on the nose due to their participation in security during the 1992 Barcelona Games ...

I could have sworn the F-15 Eagle was the Official Fighter Jet of the 1984 Olympic Games ... At least that's what the t-shirt says my brother has from the 1984 Edwards AFB airshow ... :rofl:

Gregg