F-14 Tomcat Parking Only

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, i'm looking for pics of BuNo 158978 during its service in VX-4.

Also looking for pics of BuNo 158931, known as the olive/tan colored tomcat from VX-4

I think you mean the BuNo:159831 , Take a look at the Tomcat Associations Forums and you will find old photo's of the 158978 XF-33 .......HTH Henk

Edited by sundowner
  • 2 weeks later...

check these out...

NFWS331.jpg

NFWS332.jpg

NFWS333.jpg

NFWS301.jpg

NFWS302.jpg

30and33catchingsomerays.jpg

Iranianjet2.jpg

Taken in 1992 at NAS Miramar (aka Topgun, note one word not two). The kid sitting on the edge of NFWS 30 was me 19 years ago. NFWS 30 is believed to be BuNo 159626 according to AIRFIGHTERS.COM and MR David F Brown's Tomcat Alley book. What the BuNo of NFWS 33 is, I have no idea, maybe someone can shed some light on it? This was not an airshow event, nor was it a base open day. This was a private appointment following my treatment for Leukaemia organised by the Make of Wish foundation. Three weeks of shmoosing with Topgun pilots under the scorching San Diego sunshine. To top it off, I had a meeting with Maverick himself, Mr Tom Cruise. A perfect holiday never to be forgotten. That is my Topgun story. Queue Top Gun soundtrack!!!

Cool stuff Andrew!

Very interesting to see the ALQ-167 mounted to the starboard pylon.

Yeah the 167 pod is an unusual configuration. I am not too familiar with what the purpose of this pod is. My only assumption would be that it is some kind alternative to the TACTS pod often carried by test and training aircraft.

This was my first trip to Miramar and I was invited back again in 1994 by which point NFWS as it was, was begining to wind up operations in preperation for moving to Fallon in Nevada to become part of NSAWC. On my second trip a few aircraft were departing so many of the crews I met in the 1992 trip, had either gone or were in the process of leaving.

The pure visual experience and assualt on the hearing of two F-14s in full zone 5 afterburner lifting off the Miramar tarmac, is something makes you sit up and pay attention too. The one image I will never forget, was the taxiing out of some F-14s at Dawn break. It was very remenisent of the scene in Top Gun just prior to the ejection sequence when all the jets are taxiing out. Truely awesome.

The NFWS-33 was 159615 in 1992 ! quite some interesting pictures , wasn't the ALQ pod there with the NFWS to do some electronic warfare training because VAQ-33 and 34 were disestablished ???

When was your visit to TOPGUN , was it late 1992,I mean December ?? acc my files there were three different Tomcats with NFWS carrying the modex 30 in 1992

Cheers, Henk

Edited by sundowner
  • 2 weeks later...

The NFWS-33 was 159615 in 1992 ! quite some interesting pictures , wasn't the ALQ pod there with the NFWS to do some electronic warfare training because VAQ-33 and 34 were disestablished ???

When was your visit to TOPGUN , was it late 1992,I mean December ?? acc my files there were three different Tomcats with NFWS carrying the modex 30 in 1992

Cheers, Henk

My visit to TOPGUN was about mid 1992. I have VHS tapes that camcorder footage was tranfered to and the date would be readable on that. Unfortunately due to the big move to New Zealand from the UK and not having a VHS player anymore, I couldn't be sure of the specific month. NFWS 30 as in the photo I posted was the only Mobex 30 I recall seeing at Miramar however VF-31 were visiting at the time as one of the crew members gave me his velcro squadron badge. As far as I am aware of not many of the fleet units carried double digit numbers as they were mainly triple digit.

Thanks Andrew

While I am on here I wonder if someone might have any information on the aircraft in the following video:

This is a video which I uplaoded from a dvd of various Tomcat programs.

I knwo that the BuNo is believed to be 163412 and was the first F-14D out of Calverton and delived to VX-4 in 1990. The aircraft does carry the NAVY or BuNo data labels in the video as it was apparantly common practice to do that for media or public events for the test units.

What I want to know is what is the name of the pilot labelled on the side of the fuselage. I have already nailed down the RIO as being Lt Kevin "MACE" Mason and the pilots call sign appears to be "GUS" or something like that. Given that the video is at least 21 years old, it is fairly grainy therefore difficult to make out what the pilots name is.

If someone knows anything or has the ability to enhance this video to make it readable I would be very grateful.

Hope some one can help with this.

Cheers, Henk

Don't suppose you would what RIO was printed on the side of NFWS 30 would you?