F-18E/F and EA-18G

I read today on Alert 5, which linked to a Navy a Times story about the F-35, that as part of the refocus on the Pacific that VFA-136 and VFA-11 will be moving west to Lemoore in June 2016 and January 2017 respectfully. Why move two squadrons from CVW-1 west? Why not move two squadrons that deploy from Oceana as part of a west coast airwing? VFA-81, VFA-34.

I read today on Alert 5, which linked to a Navy a Times story about the F-35, that as part of the refocus on the Pacific that VFA-136 and VFA-11 will be moving west to Lemoore in June 2016 and January 2017 respectfully. Why move two squadrons from CVW-1 west? Why not move two squadrons that deploy from Oceana as part of a west coast airwing? VFA-81, VFA-34.

Because it's the Navy. My favorite story is when VF-102 was redesignated as VA-36 at Cecil Field in 1956. On the same day, at the same place, a new VA-36 was established. What did the Navy do? Why, they redesignated the new VA-36 to VF-102! Brilliant....not!

They've been talking about moving those squadrons to Lemoore for years..will they ever do it? I have no idea, but with the F-35 coming on line, it could very well happen, but I highly doubt it..hell, they were talking about 103 moving to Lemoore back several years ago, but with funding being the crap that it is right now, that would mean new hangar spaces would have to be developed...yeah..I don't see that happening.

and a few more:

PICT0199.jpg

(yes, that's Marbrey standing in my way.... :worship:/> )

PICT0209.jpg

PICT0212.jpg

(I'm actually amazed that I was the first to post a VFA-213 jet, their rides look sierra hotel! This one was probably fresh out of the paint barn when the Tomcat ceremony was going on)

That's sick!!! You're at the Tomcat Sunset Ceremony to celebrate the career of one of if not the best fighter aircraft in the world and you focus on it's replacement!! Terrible!! :rolleyes:

Why not? Because that makes too much sense...lol Look at how VFA-25 and -86 are now with CVW-7 and -3...more cross-country transits. I can understand VFA-11 moving though, because they fly the Foxtrot, and the 10th CVW will be making a comeback at Lemoore and will need that squadron.

Jeff

That's sick!!! You're at the Tomcat Sunset Ceremony to celebrate the career of one of if not the best fighter aircraft in the world and you focus on it's replacement!! Terrible!! :rolleyes:/>

Holy crap...I can't believe how big I was back then...I'm glad I got divorced!! Best diet I ever went on

Why not? Because that makes too much sense...lol Look at how VFA-25 and -86 are now with CVW-7 and -3...more cross-country transits. I can understand VFA-11 moving though, because they fly the Foxtrot, and the 10th CVW will be making a comeback at Lemoore and will need that squadron.

Jeff

See this is information that makes sense. I know all too well about how the Navy does things. I knew there had to be more to it. Thank you ! So can I assume that 10th airwing is CVW-14 or does that make too much sense too?

See this is information that makes sense. I know all too well about how the Navy does things. I knew there had to be more to it. Thank you ! So can I assume that 10th airwing is CVW-14 or does that make too much sense too?

I haven't seen anything specifically stating that the 10th CVW will continue to be CVW-14, but I don't believe they ever formally decommissioned, so that's where I'd put my money. Even though it does make sense. ;)

Awesome work, Andrew!

AIM-120Ds are showing up on Fleet Rhinos now ...

CEheW4JUkAAbKhL1.jpg

-Gregg

How can you tell it's a D model AMRAAM? Earlier version AMRAAM's had the clipped control surfaces. Am I missing something (very likely)?

I think the question was more about the overall shape of the missile. Is there anything distinguishing other than the stenciling that denotes it as a D rather than a C?

Correct... wasn't sure if the D had different external features from earlier missiles.