Mirage IIICZ SAAF (South African AF)

Finished today for a Dutch mini groupsbuild called African Military Aviation these Mirage IIICZ from Waterkloof AB '82, 2sqn.

It's a Hobbyboss at scale 48th. Paint with Vallejo and here and there little wash. I have found color at the google.

Enjoy..

p1090291.jpg

p1090292.jpg

p1090293.jpg

p1090294.jpg

p1090295.jpg

p1090296.jpg

My next project for that same groupsbuild are JAS-39D Gripen Twin seater.

I'm no expert on South African Mirages, but where did you get the information from? I've always thought that the green/tan/grey scheme was sharp edged rather than soft, and the springbok on the tailfin is curious...

Jens

I'm no expert on South African Mirages, but where did you get the information from? I've always thought that the green/tan/grey scheme was sharp edged rather than soft, and the springbok on the tailfin is curious...

Jens

Who cares, it;s a stunning model, stop rivet picking.

Jens

Correct Jens,but even with soft edged camo,she's really a beauty!

http://www.saairforce.co.za/gallery-and-me...39/mirage-iiicz

Who cares, it;s a stunning model, stop rivet picking.

I quote:

Critique Corner

Post pics of your models here and get polite, constructive feedback on how you can improve your future models. Comments are only in response to pics posted by the builder of that model in this forum.

model_madness, if you read my post you will see that I didn't come charging in like a bull in a china shop, but asking the builder where the documentation came from because it doesn't match my perception of what South African Mirage IIICs look like - based on what I've seen from various pics and colour profiles both in print and the web. One day I hope to have an SA Mirage of my own, and if that ends up being inaccurate, I don't mind being told as long as what I do wrong is pointed out.

Thanks for posting the profile shadowforce - the springbok on the fin is curious, but it may have been applied by mistake and later removed. However, I do find it surprising that you chose to represent the camo as soft edge as the hard edge camos are easier to do. It is more challenging to do well with consistent demarcations and a not too soft edge as well as protecting against overspray. This you seem to do well. One point I would like to make though - the panel under the windscreen would benefit from some more filling and sanding - the nose contours of the lovely Mirage are fairly smooth, and this breaks the smoothness. I know..the next one... :wave:

Jens

Edited by jenshb

Thanks guys for lots critique..next time i shall remember it.

Some people on dutch forum said that soft edge are beautifuler then hard edge. You must not forgot it..i've spray freehand, no template or whatever. It's not 100% accurate..but when i'm seen a photo on SAAF onofficial site that there's 2 difference colorscheme. Once with springbok on tail, but color are another. No springbok on tail..color are same as mine. Alone aluminium color on radome are wrong. But for people who want build these SAAF Mirage III..no aluminium color on radome..but tan and black. My Mirage IIICz come out 1982 and on site said:

Mirage III CZ #805 (c/n 158 delivered June 1963) In 1971 the SAAF starting applying camouflage to all the Mirage aircraft. Many different schemes were applied & tested for the local conditions, before the scheme of mid buff and olive green, was chosen. By 1976 this was the standard scheme applied to all the Mirage aircraft variants.

The colorscheme what HobbyBoss have include are big mistake. It's lots time to find a correct color. But most important..you must like it and happy to build it.

I'm now still building SAAF JAS-39D Gripen twin seater with lots Eduard PE and decals from MAV. When she's finished..i shall posting it.

@Winnie: I'm not she's but he's.. :wacko:

Very nice. I was going to ask about about the aluminum on the nose and then I found this picture that shows that some did have the aluminum on it http://www.saairforce.co.za/the-airforce/a...48/mirage-iiicz

Nice work by the way. I am working on the same build and doing a SAAF Gripen at the same time. The Mirage is an Eduard one and doing it pretty much OOB, while I am using CMK's Gripen sets or parts of them to do the Gripen. MAv's decals are great- I bought a lot of them recently for some projects

Edited by jwest21