Academy 1/72 F/A-18

As far as my measurements are concerned......I've offered them twice. Didn't get a response from one person I offered them to, and was told by the other (in basic terms), that they had it covered and didn't need the help.

Hi Dave

Did you offer them to me and/or Willy Peeters (who did the drawings)?

Then I have to be the one who didn't response, as I didn't get that offer from you... B)

I've no idea if Willy turned down your offer, but he shouldn't have done that, but it's too late now

Danny

Hmm... it looks okay but no better than the Fujimi kit? Shame they screwed-up on the flap scribing, that's something they ought to fix for the next release - but probably won't!

Have to agree with all the comments about scale plans. You can never, ever make any judgement based on scale plans as the drawings are an interpretation just as a kit is, so they're no more likely to be accurate than the kit. Problem seems to be that some people seem to regard plans as blueprints, which of course they aren't! They're good for general arrangement and basic outlines (sometimes!) but otherwise... well they look nice!

Is it just me, or does the in the side view picture the fuselage seem too thick(top to bottom) in the cockpit area, like the Fujimi kit is accused of being?

Edited by DutyCat
Hmm... it looks okay but no better than the Fujimi kit?

It's almost infinitely better than the Fujimi kit! The Fujimi kit's nose and LERX are so far out of wack it's irretrievably screwed, a truly truly awful my mamma hates me up of a model. I won't claim the Academy kit's perfect (what model is?), but to suggest it's no better than the Fujimi kit os to miss how truly execrable the Fujimi kit really is. No really, it's THAT bad!

Zawa's LoneStar

Please refer to the link above. The kit has its own minor issues but I think its shape is not as bad as Fujimi's.

Could you expound a little on what you meant, please. The translated version of your link seems to state that the Academy kit is near perfect save the decals. What other "minor issues" are you referring to? Also, "shape not as bad" isn't a ringing endorsement - are you saying there is a shape problem?

At any rate, I have several Academy kits under construction, and think they are outstanding.

Gene K

The only thing I've noticed in the official Academy build and the one linked over by not2p is the bang seat and pilot seem a little low in the pit, that should be an easy fix though ... It does appear to be a beauty of a kit though and the new standard for Legacy Hornets in the scale ...

Gregg

Could you expound a little on what you meant, please. The translated version of your link seems to state that the Academy kit is near perfect save the decals. What other "minor issues" are you referring to? Also, "shape not as bad" isn't a ringing endorsement - are you saying there is a shape problem?

Sorry for my unclear expression. I don't think the kit has any serious shape problem and just tried to refute DutyCat's claim that the fuselage in the cockpit area looks too thick with the photos in Zawa's homepage. About the issues, the kit's too vertical landing gear (like Hasegawa kit) was already discussed in this forum and it can be corrected with little twisting. And the blue stripe decal on the vetical wing should be split into two pieces as you see from photos. Other minor issues, I am refering to those discussed in Dave Roof's review.

Edited by not2p

Hoi,

just picked my copy up from the LHS yesterday.

Wow, it looks great in the box. Probaby the best surface detail i have seen in a 1/72 kit. Great decal sheet too, including all of the weapon, gear, and seat stencils as well. Not sure how they'll go on, but the sheet rivals the RofG Tornado sheet.

I'm eagerly looking forward to their F-18A and the F-16CG/CJ kits.

later

Ruud

I know I read that they are going to comeout with an A/A+ version but is the any word one them making a D model?

I thought I had seen "Late 2008" on another list somewhere for the D Night Attack version. If I can find the link, I'll post it over here.

JB

I thought I had seen "Late 2008" on another list somewhere for the D Night Attack version.

If you just can't wait, you could use the Hasegawa canopy for starters. Here's a quick trial fit:

HasCanopysmaller.jpg

As you can see, the fit is very good.

I used a piece of the Has kit as a trial filler because I didn't want to chop up the Academy spine insert. Obviously modifying the Academy part is the way to go if you are committed to doing the conversion.

I don't know (yet) what else needs to be done to get a B or D (the Academy kit already includes the A nose vents which, I assume, is appropriate for the B ).

Gene K