Very creative, I like it, especially the paint scheme!

I had one of these F-14 toys as a kid. Good fun playing with it. It's still in my basement, don't know if it still works...

do yourself a favor and DONT try to convert it! :monkeydance:

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

4th of july update! still working on this thing!

p1010040sc1.jpg

Front Landing gear, along with scratchbuilt doors and assoicated greeblies

p1010039oe5.jpg

Fin tips scratchbuilt with spare styrene

p1010041kp0.jpg

FOD guards or mesh screens haven't decided yet. plan on painting them gray, adding the bort number on them and a red star with some white stripes as well.

p1010043uh0.jpg

p1010042dc4.jpg

Shoulder pylons. painted them along with some of the touchups i did on the main model. Keen observers will notice i accidently put the pointy end backwords on the pylons (didnt notice until i set them down after painting) Good thing its a Whif!! i think it looks pretty good actually so dumb luck

p1010044mv6.jpg

The Fleetstar after touch ups. I don't think i have ever seen a paintjob like that Foxbat, there seems to be almost no pattern whatsoever which makes it a challenge to paint but exotic and gorgeous in the end. i masked and Tamiya nato black (really a very dark gray) on the nose.

i just need to mask the anti glare on the nose, do some other brush painting, then remove all tape, decal, flat coat to seal and finally paint that canopy gloss black. I plan on using little bits of strip styrene painted gray on the spot for dielectric panels in places that don't look "busy" enough or to cover flaws.

Thanks for looking

Ben

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
  • 4 months later...

p1010139dh4.jpg

Engines before Paint, I added those Lozenge like boxes because the styrene cracked, so greeblies to the rescue!

p1010162qa4.jpg

FOD Covers (Red Stars Provided by Waco--Thanks again)

p1010164cv2.jpg

p1010165fa3.jpg

p1010166iu8.jpg

I used Linden Hill Flanker Decals for the Red Stars and Numbers and i have to say these decals are worth every penny, my first experience with a two part decal and it went without a single hitch. Can not say enough great things about these decals.

The Foxbat this Model is based on had relatively few markings, no stencils, and the only thing other than the bare minimum stars and numbers where some commemorative markings...haven't decided if i want to add those yet. I still have to scratch the landing gear and add weapons along with the finished engines. But i felt very excited when i saw how good those stars looked.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat
Yeah, the Tomcat to me seems to be a Tornado on steroids; its not to manuverable,

There are a pair of guys who flew with VX-4 during the AIM/ACMEVAL who would laugh at you for that comment. With the wings popped at low speed, the Tomcat could turn with almost anything in the US inventory (barring of course, the F-22A)

.... but then, "Hoser" and "Turk" were legendary for being able to do things with a tomcat that most pilots couldn't...

There are a pair of guys who flew with VX-4 during the AIM/ACMEVAL who would laugh at you for that comment. With the wings popped at low speed, the Tomcat could turn with almost anything in the US inventory (barring of course, the F-22A)

.... but then, "Hoser" and "Turk" were legendary for being able to do things with a tomcat that most pilots couldn't...

And when they weren't flying they were being chased by the mainteneance crews for getting the flaps locked in the 'down' position.

"Heater" Heatley was a renowned good stick in the Tomcat also ...

Gregg

Edited by GreyGhost
  • 1 year later...

Well I finally finished the aircraft. I just need to finish the landing gear sometime down the road and add ordnance later. This has been an on and off project for years and I am happy I have finally made it this far!

p1010126k.jpg

p1010114r.jpg

p1010116m.jpg

p1010115k.jpg

p1010118s.jpg