Guys hi

I've got the Tamiya P-47M kit, but for some obscure reason I want to build it as a D instead.

I assume if I just ignore the L sprue and find the original parts from among the other sprues

I'm good to go ?

Pete

You can make any of the bubbletop Ds from the -M kit. In fact, many of the items on the L sprue like the cockpit, dive brakes, and dorsal fin, are applicable to late -Ds also. I think about the only -M specific parts in the kit are the engine parts (bolted crankcase, mags), so leave those off.

• 3 months later...

Hi, Everything depends on the subtype -D you want to build. A D-30 has the flat floor, compressability flaps, outboard landing light, and streamlined fin strake. The engine, however would retain the bullet shaped gear case. Earlier -D birds don't have fin strakes or compressability flaps, have corrugated floors, and the landing light mounted inboard. Different blocks carried different props, so check references on the individual bird you're intertested in Some of the earlier -Ds retained the smooth wheel covers. Above all else, have fun. Hal the P-47fan

Ohhh check out the proper gunsight for the plane you'ree doing. I believe tamiya provides three.

Edited by Hal Marshman Sr

I haven't really looked into it much yet. I've got the Aztec decals for a Mexican P-47 so I'm guessing it's one of the late blocks that came out. Heck it might be so far at the end of the D's that it might be the same as an M. You know of any websites that are good for the Mexican P-47's (or any sold to South and Central America)?

Thanks,

John

I haven't really looked into it much yet. I've got the Aztec decals for a Mexican P-47 so I'm guessing it's one of the late blocks that came out. Heck it might be so far at the end of the D's that it might be the same as an M. You know of any websites that are good for the Mexican P-47's (or any sold to South and Central America)?

Thanks,

John

Yes, the Mexican P-47 were in fact D-30´s with compressability flaps, and the gunsight was the MK-VIII

Clipboard00.jpg

Clipboard18.jpg

One more thing, if you plan to build the configuration from the machines that saw action in the Philipines you´ll need to paint the cockpit in dark gull green, but if you plan to build the post-war configuration, paint the cockpit in yellow zinc chromate, this is because the jugs from the war stayed in the Philipines, and after the war the Mexican air force received brand new machines.

Hope this helps.

Edited by top-aztec
Yes, the Mexican P-47 were in fact D-30´s with compressability flaps, and the gunsight was the MK-VIII

Clipboard00.jpg

Clipboard18.jpg

One more thing, if you plan to build the configuration from the machines that saw action in the Philipines you´ll need to paint the cockpit in dark gull green, but if you plan to build the post-war configuration, paint the cockpit in yellow zinc chromate, this is because the jugs from the war stayed in the Philipines, and after the war the Mexican air force received brand new machines.

Hope this helps.

Whoah, hold on there a minute! The only P-47D's that had cockpit colors other than the Dull Dark Green were the P-47G's built by Curtiss and they used interior green. All of them being used as stateside trainers. I don't even think Evansville built jugs had interior green cockpits...I believe they were all dull dark green. If you've got photographic eveidence of a P-47D with a yellow zinc cockpit, it's a rebuilt aircraft and not original issue from Republic Aviation.

Initially, P-47D-30 RE and RA were not equipped from the factory with the stability fin on the vertical stab/fuselage. It was added during the production run and retrofitted to some in the field. You will see P-47D-30's without the stability fin. Glenn Eagleson's aircraft is a prime example of a D-30 without the fin. The fin was not standarized until the D-40 along with the K-14 gunsight and eventually the zero length rocket launchers.

Tim

AFAIK, plain yellow zinc chromate was never authorized for use in crew areas (as a primary color). I've surely never heard of it in any Jug cockpit. Many post-war Jugs apparently had black cockpits.

J