F-14B Tomcat Hasegawa 1/48

Hi!

I'm new to the forum, lurking around for some weeks now.

So a short introduction to msyelf.

My Name is Markus, I am 32 years old and I live in Austria, Europe. I've been building models since I was 12 years old, but the last 10 years I pursued other hobbies (Guitarbuilding amongst others). Now and then I built a Motorcycle in 1/12. Up until now I only glued the models together, painted it with a brush, applied the decals, and that was it. No filling and sanding, no airbrush, no clearcoats, no washing.

Now I have taken up building models once again, now with all the stuff: aftermarket stuff, filling and sanding, preshading, washing,....

My first real model (after trying out some things on a cheap Italeri F-14A) is a Hasegawa F-14B Tomcat in 1/48, with Jolly Rogers Last Cruise markings (altough I have exactly this kit, I ordered Fightertown decals)

I know, some of you will say "Not that aircraft again :) " But I like it, and I won't build many Tomcats in 1/48 (I've built two Hases in 1/72 a long time ago)

I also make use of resin parts for the first time, and add a Black Box F-14 Bombcat deluxe set. (cockpit + bombcat conversion)

I'm realy pleased with how it turned out. I lost the part for the throttle, so I had to scratch it. The ejection seat handles are from 0.3mm wire.

IMG_001.jpg

IMG_002.jpg

IMG_003.jpg

IMG_004.jpg

IMG_007.jpg

IMG_008.jpg

I'm now working on the Intakes. Here I've gut one question: which color should the insides of the intakes be? In the instructions it says FS 36320, but this is for an aircraft that has it's whole underside painted in this color. Would it be FS 36375 for this aircraft?

Greetings

Markus

Thanks for all the comments.

I thougt the intakes should be 36375, but wasn't sure.

'm aware, that the Black Box setas are not the best, I had the Aires in mind, but if you say the Verlindens are better, I will look for them. Altough I'm not sure if I get one seat per set or two. If there is only one seat, then it is rather expensive....

We will see.

Here's a pic from the intakes (not finished) and one from the nose wheel well.

IMG_009.jpg

IMG_010.jpg

Greetings

Markus

Edited by delayar
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi!

After working on the intakes for a few days (filling, sanding, filling again, sanding again, painting.... :whistle: ) they are finally finished.

IMG_011.jpg

IMG_012.jpg

IMG_013.jpg

IMG_014.jpg

Inspired by Manuel J. Aramas' build, I detailed the main wheel wells a little bit.

IMG_015.jpg

IMG_016.jpg

IMG_017.jpg

Also filled and sanded the engine shrouds smooth.

IMG_018.jpg

I ordered a Verlinden set of the seats.

Markus

Some new picturs...

I added Verlinden seats and Fightertown decals to the cockpit.

The plate at the RIO's step is made from normal household adhesive tape.

IMG_021.jpg

IMG_022.jpg

I didn't like the look of the painted nose landing gear strut, so I took an old small screwdriver, which had exactly the same diameter, and cut a pice from it for the landing gear.

I will glue it together when it is painted white.

IMG_019.jpg

IMG_020.jpg

I also worked on the exhausts. For the engine shrouds I mixed a little gun metal in the flat black, to simulate the carbon fibre. It now has a slight metallic look to it, which I find ok. For the nozzle I used Alclad jet exhaust. But I think it misses the slight golden/copper tint the nozzles show on photos.

Should I add copper or gold to the jet exhaust?

IMG_023.jpg

Of course I also worked on the main Fuselage, but you all now how it looks. Nothing spectacular yet. :salute:

Greetings from Vienna

Markus

I also worked on the exhausts. For the engine shrouds I mixed a little gun metal in the flat black, to simulate the carbon fibre. It now has a slight metallic look to it, which I find ok. For the nozzle I used Alclad jet exhaust. But I think it misses the slight golden/copper tint the nozzles show on photos.

Should I add copper or gold to the jet exhaust?

IMG_023.jpg

Of course I also worked on the main Fuselage, but you all now how it looks. Nothing spectacular yet. :salute:

Greetings from Vienna

Markus

Great work so far.

If you have it, I would go over your petals with Alclad Pale Burnt Metal. That should give you your tint.

HTH

Some progress...

Sprayed the nozzles with pale burnt metal. They look much better now. I still have to apply the decals for the darker aprt of the petals.

IMG_024.jpg

I also finished the landing gears.

I added some wires from stranded wire and gave it a wash.

Befor the wash, just white paint:

IMG_025.jpg

after the wash and decals:

IMG_026.jpg

I also made the shoulder pxlons and the lantirn pod, but haven't taken any pictures yet.

Markus

I did the Sparrowhawk HUD.

Frame is from the Avionix/BB set, glass is made from 0.3mm acetate film.

I'm waiting for the arrival of my scribing tools to continue with the fuselage.

IMG_027.jpg

Markus

Here are some pictures of the shoulder pylons:

IMG_028.jpg

IMG_029.jpg

IMG_030.jpg

I glued the front fuselage to the main fuselage. It slowly starts to look like a tomcat.

I glued sprues on the inside of the joint to strengthen it, since the front fuselage got a little heavy. (It sure won't sit on its tail...)

The outside of the joint fits rather good, there will be very little filling and sanding necessary. :(

IMG_032.jpg

IMG_033.jpg

Also attached the burners

IMG_031.jpg

Greetings,

Markus