Airliner group build?

Those look pretty close to completion. I think the kits have to be non started for a GB. Not sure.

Gareth,

It's up to the moderators to decide what percentage complete started kits can be. if you want to see a lot of models inthe completed thread you may want to consider well started kits? I konw some GBs allow up to fuselage put together etc.

I have a couple I have started, one of which would fit into the GBNF theme nicely. it is my 747-300 conversion which I have spliced the fuselage parts from the Revell 200 and 400 together.

Those look pretty close to completion. I think the kits have to be non started for a GB. Not sure.

I wish! Mostly just fuselages together with some primer to find the gaps. Everything else is just set in place or taped up. I did say that I was going to save some for the actual group build... :D

Yeah, you are right.

No go for those. Sorry!

That's too bad. There's a lot of airliners that simply wear military colors. I can understand excluding a C-130 that was designed as a military transport, but how about the 757 as Air Force Two? That's not really a military transport. How about a compromise? If it was designed and built (in the real 1/1 world) to be an airliner, then I think it should be allowed. If it was designed and built to be a military transport, then it's out. How about this: No camouflage or flat colors if in military colors. There are some beautiful, colorful military paint schemes (like the 757 AF2, or the connie, etc.), that would do well among their civilian counterparts.

Edited by Ed Nirel
That's too bad. There's a lot of airliners that simply wear military colors. I can understand excluding a C-130 that was designed as a military transport, but how about the 757 as Air Force Two? That's not really a military transport. How about a compromise? If it was designed and built (in the real 1/1 world) to be an airliner, then I think it should be allowed. If it was designed and built to be a military transport, then it's out. How about this: No camouflage or flat colors if in military colors. There are some beautiful, colorful military paint schemes (like the 757 AF2, or the connie, etc.), that would do well among their civilian counterparts.

I would be out if this was not allowed. I would like to build my connie with the MATS decals it came with. I would really like to build it with TWA decals.

But nobody seems to make them. To bad. A Connie with no TWA is like coffee with no caffine. JMO :D

I'm in. When we find out when it will take place, I'll decide what to build.

I would really like to build it with TWA decals. But nobody seems to make them.

The Heller 1/72 is available with TWA markings. Kinda pricey thou... that one even includes microscale Blue Angel decals.

In 1/144, RoG makes a nice 1049 Super with TWA and Lufthansa markings. Here's a link to one on Ebay.

Edited by indydog
We decided no Military aircraft. This is airliners. I think there is an upcoming GB for military transports.

Sorry, but we want to stay airliners.

-Gareth

Works for me. mmmm, would either of these two qualify?

Gorlitsa Airlines An-26

Shar Ink An-74

I guess custom decals would be in order. Sure would make a nice change from Aeroflot white/gray ...

Alright, enough of the eye-poking. His Noodleness knows I have enough airliners to do something serious. :thumbsup:

We decided no Military aircraft. This is airliners. I think there is an upcoming GB for military transports.

Sorry, but we want to stay airliners.

-Gareth

The upcoming transport group build is for "trash haulers." I wouldn't think a 747, 757 or DC-9 would fit in (though some might argue that AF1 and AF2 haul trash all the time...). Do trash haulers have flight attendants? Not the last time I checked. Military airliners do...

You've stated that you want to get as much participation as possible, but you've already exluded a group of airliner subjects based on the operation/ownership of the airliner. Again, JMHO, but I think a reasonable compromise would be to include subjects that are designed and produced as airliners, but just happened to be picked up by a government for official use. No camo, no flat paint schemes, and no "weapons systems." If it's primary, original purpose is to carry passengers, then I think it's an airliner. I can find the C-32 on Airlinercafe.com. It looks like they think it's airliner material. Airline Hobby Supplies lists items for Air Force One. They too think it's airliner material.

What about cargo companies? Are those aircraft airliners? What about private aircraft like Travolta's 707? How about NASA's 757? The Orbis DC-10? A BBJ? An aircraft in manufacturer's colors? My point is that this group build should be inclusive as much as possible rather than exclusive, and there are a bunch of interesting options out there that, while they aren't for-profit, passenger carrying entities, they are based on an airliner. Airliner builders seem to be the minority on ARC and I would hope that we would want people encouraged to build airliners rather than turned away because of the paint scheme. I think it's a shame that at least one person who wants to participate in the group build has been turned away because of the paint they want to put on their airliner kit. I agree that a line should be drawn, and I've made the suggestions above. I don't think that an E-3 should be included, but I do think there is room for a VC-137.

This is a proposed "group" build, right? How about a poll or something to get the consensus of the group that's interested?

Ok, I'm off my soapbox.

include subjects that are designed and produced as airliners, but just happened to be picked up by a government for official use. No camo, no flat paint schemes, and no "weapons systems." If it's primary, original purpose is to carry passengers....

What about cargo companies? Are those aircraft airliners? What about private aircraft like Travolta's 707? How about NASA's 757? The Orbis DC-10? A BBJ? An aircraft in manufacturer's colors?....

I don't think that an E-3 should be included, but I do think there is room for a VC-137.

I second that idea, I hadn't even considered cargo companies.