Catalina PBY-5 Diorama "Island Beaching" 1:72

Hi Guys,

this is my Catalina PBY-5 Diorama, I called it "Island Beaching", its in 1:72.

It is the Academy Catalina (OOB), very heavy chipped and weathered, truck and marines by Revell.

Built within a picture frame bought at the local hardware store, landscape made of plaster.

The landscape was then painted in acrylics with airbrush. I used "magic water" and acrylic structure gel (Marabu) for the water, then drybrush painted with white for the foam etc..

I hope you enjoy looking at it. I plan to bring it along with some other models to the plastic winter model show in Dom Kultúry RUŽINOV, Bratislava.

Here the pics:

Catalina01.JPG

Catalina02.JPG

Catalina03.JPG

Catalina04.JPG

Catalina05.JPG

Catalina06.JPG

Catalina07.JPG

Nicely done. The water looks great, I suspect shallow water may even be harder to do right than deep water.

My concern is the paint chipping on the Cat. The Navy was (understandably) paranoid about corrosion, especially in the "Yellow Wings" period. If you have a photo showing such weathering, I'd be interested in seeing it, and I'd recommend putting a copy with it on the show table for the benefit of judges and viewers alike. (I also wondered about the rifles being actively brandished by the Marines in what should be a peace-time scene, but can allow for a combat training exercise...)

Still, all in all a stunning scene. The figures are pretty darn good for 72nd as well.

Nicely done. The water looks great, I suspect shallow water may even be harder to do right than deep water.

My concern is the paint chipping on the Cat. The Navy was (understandably) paranoid about corrosion, especially in the "Yellow Wings" period. If you have a photo showing such weathering, I'd be interested in seeing it, and I'd recommend putting a copy with it on the show table for the benefit of judges and viewers alike. (I also wondered about the rifles being actively brandished by the Marines in what should be a peace-time scene, but can allow for a combat training exercise...)

Still, all in all a stunning scene. The figures are pretty darn good for 72nd as well.

Regarding the paint chipping - you are right. It is overdone. It is the first model where I did it (its my first propeller driven vintage plane model, and my eight model in all), and that's how it turned out (by the way I did it with the salt sprinkle method). Thanks for the input! :rofl:

Regarding the marines: I imagined it as an exercise lets say in Hawaii or some other island. The marines are safeguarding an improvised base during the beaching, against an imaginary enemy. (I have no idea if this is realistic, my army service and training happened to be in a landlocked country - Austria - I thought it would be a good idea; We did a lot of safeguarding all kinds of things, nut no floatplanes :rolleyes: ). Thanks again,

steve

OMG!! Incredible skill and imagination. WOW!

Okay, here's my version. That plane had been sitting out for some time, perhaps anchored for whatever reason, and because of the "war" the guys finally got around to retrieving her. Why was it still in that paint scheme? Well, sometimes planes don't get repainted. I have proof below from 2006.

I can't get over how cool that is!! Very good work!

Mark

Look at the Euro Green paint job at the end of this row.

100_1833.jpg

Hmmm,

I'm sure there are quite some thing's to pick at.

However, taking the "full picture" into account I think it's a

stunning piece of craftsmanship... Thanx for posting.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

P.S.: not making any comment regarding the water...

Sure would please a lot of people (including myself) if You could

shed some more light on that...

P.S.: not making any comment regarding the water...

Sure would please a lot of people (including myself) if You could

shed some more light on that...

You would like to know about the water?

Sure. I did it like in may Maldives diorama: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....p;#entry1519865

It is made like that:

Landscape and beach made of plaster. Then I color the beach and the seabed in acrylics, I spray blues, turquoise and whites. Then I fill the water part with 2 Component Resin "Magic Water" from http://www.unrealdetails.com/ That is a resin that does not heat or shrink or bubble. Its needs about 24 hrs to cure, its almost like plastic or very hard rubber once cured.

After the resin is cured, I apply transparent clear Acrylic Structure-gel from Marabu nr. 140713 100 www.marabu-kreativ.de in the shape of waves and ripples. Works best with a fan brush. Its white once apllied, but cures to a glass clear status.

After that is cured, I highlight the waves with gloss white in the foam patterns etc.

You would like to know about the water?

Sure. I did it like in may Maldives diorama: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....p;#entry1519865

It is made like that:

Landscape and beach made of plaster. Then I color the beach and the seabed in acrylics, I spray blues, turquoise and whites. Then I fill the water part with 2 Component Resin "Magic Water" from http://www.unrealdetails.com/ That is a resin that does not heat or shrink or bubble. Its needs about 24 hrs to cure, its almost like plastic or very hard rubber once cured.

After the resin is cured, I apply transparent clear Acrylic Structure-gel from Marabu nr. 140713 100 www.marabu-kreativ.de in the shape of waves and ripples. Works best with a fan brush. Its white once apllied, but cures to a glass clear status.

After that is cured, I highlight the waves with gloss white in the foam patterns etc.

Thanx for the respond.

Might give that one a try in the distant future (still have a zillion project's in mind that don't require the technique) and

it sure comes in handy to have some good ref's.

"Check Six....."

Spooky.

P.S.: did I already mention the dio look's stunning...???!!!

This is one simply stunning scene. Take to heart the lessons you have learned and apply them to all future endeavors. I don't care if the weathing is overdone. The rest of the work speaks for itself. Great job. I salute the attempt at a NMF on only your eighth model. Great job and keep charging. The trucks and beach really make this scene come alive. As certainly do the Marines. Well done. I hope you wins ome awards for this one.

Very nicely done.