Westland Lynx WG13 Mk.4

Hi, a small update :

I installed the sponsons, and it's a lot of Putty work, the flat surface underside should go further back.

1L075.jpg

I find out that the cabin is much shorter as in the model, and the floor a bit higher.

So I removed all my soudproofing work, has to be redone. ;)

1L076.jpg

I worked also on the aft fuselage. Air intake at the intermediate transmission box is different as in a army Lynx.

So first some Dremel work.

1L071.jpg

then some oil, and milliput on it

1L072.jpg

Then some work on the shape. Oh man, the piece will not separate, it will break... :whistle:

1L073.jpg

I was lucky, the piece came out, now a lot of work on it (add a mesh, some details,..)

1L074.jpg

Voilà

norbert

Edited by norbert
Hi, a small update :

So I removed all my soudproofing work, has to be redone. :worship:

norbert

Hi Norbert,

Sorry to hear that you have to redo all of the sound proofing. Would you mind me offering a suggestion?

Perhaps you could use the foil from around the neck of certain sparkling wine/champagne bottles? This version I've seen already has the diagonal pattern embossed into the surface, is very soft and easy to work with. If you're unsure of what I mean, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to explain.

HTH

Cheers,

:wub:

Besides your skill I admire your bravery: chopping and sanding parts of a 100€ model!

I don't know if I had the guts.

Anyhow great progress!

Besides your skill I admire your bravery: chopping and sanding parts of a 100€ model!

I don't know if I had the guts.

Anyhow great progress!

Hi Avus

It is the only way to get a 1/35 navy version, or scratch.

and I want to have this model worth the money my wife put probably in ! :D

Norbert

Hi

and a very small update to start this WE and give us all courage for all your great work :

current status of tail new air intake :

1L077.jpg

Now I have to build the transmission box inside, and get it flush with the fuselage...

Norbert

hello

I made the transmission box under the tail air intake :

scupting, it's a base of plastic and milliput

1L078.jpg

Adding first details

1L079.jpg

So it would look like... but there will not be a lot to see under the mesh

1L080.jpg

Norbert

Looking good there,

Quick question for you. I have the same kit in the stash which I'm far too scared to attempt for fear of ruining it, now I've seen your efforts Im wondering. All that raised detail on it, has it been your intention to sand it all off and rescribe? Is it accuracy issues or personal preference. I only ask as i'm wondering how to tackle it. so far ive only got as brave as assembly of the main rotor. Dont wanna screw it up with it being a rather expensive kit.

And you thought I was mad with my BK-117???

This is beautiful Norbert! That gearbox is amazing and will certainly look the part in behind the mesh.

Well done and glad to see you working on this beauty again my friend

Cheers

Anthony

Looking good there,

Quick question for you. I have the same kit in the stash which I'm far too scared to attempt for fear of ruining it, now I've seen your efforts Im wondering. All that raised detail on it, has it been your intention to sand it all off and rescribe? Is it accuracy issues or personal preference. I only ask as i'm wondering how to tackle it. so far ive only got as brave as assembly of the main rotor. Dont wanna screw it up with it being a rather expensive kit.

Hi Pete,

Do not think the model is that impossible, I wanted just to do a sea version with wheels and sponsons, different nose, different tail, etc...

so I had to go in this heavy conversion. I want also to make the turbine doors open, so I had anyway to reproduce all roof.

I have a bunch of pictures so I can do it, and when not, friends working in aeronavale bases help me with reference.

If you want to reproduce a british army helicopter, you have a good base.

For the army version, I think the 2 biggest issues are :

A)The holes in the rivets, I think it is better for the final look to find a solution to fill these holes, with thick paint, or fluid putty, or I do not know.

Could be you have an exemplar without this issue

B)The roof cover in front of the rotor : shape is OK seeing from the side, but wrong seeing from the top : It should be more like a V then a U. But just some mad rivet counter like me will notice that, top views of Lynxes are rare and modification will not be easy.

I found like you it is a pitty to destroy the nice details on the surface, but modifying 50 % of the surface, it was better to redo all work. If I'm good enougth, I will try to get the same surface detail level as on my Super-Frelon.

So be confident, make this chopper out of the box and show us the the progress pictures : I never saw a build of it and my build can not be a reference.

cheers

Norbert

And you thought I was mad with my BK-117???

This is beautiful Norbert! That gearbox is amazing and will certainly look the part in behind the mesh.

Well done and glad to see you working on this beauty again my friend

Cheers

Anthony

Thank you Anthony

I thought you were mad as I'm so jalous :thumbsup:

:pray:

norbert

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Up

and a little update, working on bottom side :

1L083.jpg

1L082.jpg

My way going forward can sound strange, but I want to sand as much as possible in order to avoid dust getting in when interior is done

Norbert

• 5 weeks later...
Wow, missed quite some updates: that tiny transmission box is awesome!

Me too! You've been busy Norbert! I'm sick to my stomach watching this good work. I can only hope to achieve this level someday! Great stuff truely.

Semper fi

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Tom, thank you Al

yes, the new soundproofing is in milliput

I started the submarine hunter desk : it is in 2 parts :

1L088.jpg

and it will look so, but there is a long way to get it finnished

1L089.jpg

Norbert

well, I have just to push on the right head, let's say I'm close

L049.jpg

:thumbsup: Well...? Hope you're enjoying it as much as we are, Norb! :wave: Nice skills, mate! Where did ya learn 'em? It's really impressive how easy you're tackling with this build (or at least that's whut it looks like). Choppers ain't my bag, but this build's got me mesmerised. :jaw-dropping:

Cheers, Norb! And lay off the pressure on that poor toy already!

:woo: Well...? Hope you're enjoying it as much as we are, Norb! :) Nice skills, mate! Where did ya learn 'em? It's really impressive how easy you're tackling with this build (or at least that's whut it looks like). Choppers ain't my bag, but this build's got me mesmerised. :woot.gif:

Cheers, Norb! And lay off the pressure on that poor toy already!

Thank you, mate!

head is back in the boys room. Alignment is the most difficult when scratching or modifying.

Norbert