Who makes the best 14:88 A-10 for the $?

Guys, let's get back to modeling and the A-10 :monkeydance:

Ken, thanks for the answer. I'll probably have to buy the Monogram kit from the US, as they're not easily found here in Portugal. I was about to get Hobby Boss' A-10, but I was not sure if they fitted the time frame I'm looking for.

Ricardo

Edited by madcow

Guys

The search function on here has always been hit and miss, and I personally think it sucks. It can be especially hard for someone who may be new to this particular forum. There have been many, many times that I personally have tried to look up things using MULTIPLE different keywords and either A ) have come up with absolutely nothing, or B ) came up with too many things to sort through (ie 30 pages of replies on F-15 fuel tanks or something like that)

If you can't be bothered with giving someone a straight answer, then don't reply!!! That simple. Even if the subject has been beat to death (which this one has) either take the time to write a 10-second answer to the question, or if you know where the information is, link it for them. It's that simple. The way the original poster has been treated on here just is not real cool. It makes you guys look like an @$$, and doesn't help anyone.

Aaron

Edited by strikeeagle801
I'm thinking these were the same A-10s that flew out of Volk Field North-West of Madison (around the Tomah area). I grew up in the 80's seeing these things fly LOW over I-90 on training excersizes. I was awstruck as a kid, this had a HUGE influence on me wanting to get into modeling and almost had me joining the Air Force or Army out of High School.

I was bowhunting out on Fort McCoy and one of the A-10s flew right over my head, just about tree top level....I was holding my bow looking up at a 30mm gun and never felt more insignificant in my life.....

Amen brother!

I am going to chime in and say ditto. Strikeeagle hit the nail on the head on all of his points. I've read a certain amount of well, lets just say "coldness" in some of these replys. Yes, cultures can be different and this is an international community, but that can only go so far.

Indeed the search engine has been dodgy sometimes. Most of us tend to think of searching for something as typing in "F-15" and the engine sometimes hates that. So we have to alter our tactics and type in "Eagle" or "Mudhen" and we still might not get all the content we are looking for as not everybody will utilize those names in their posts and instead use "F-15".

In my own case I am more then willing to help out a fellow poster, regardless of if I have known him for years or maybe just read his first post. Granted I tend to type a lot, chalk that up to my writing background. Each time though I try my best to give the courtesy I expect to give somebody if I am meeting them face to face. Besides, new inquiries can breed new information depending on the subject. Somebody might have figured out a new way to do something, or a newer product might be available (or even a model shop can be having a sale, meaning an expensive kit might now be affordable). If the search engine provides ALL the answers, then this might as well be an archive and not a discussion forum.

I am going to vouch for Padawan as well since if he is the same member I know from Starship Modeler's forums, he is a great guy and typically willing to chime in with helpful information. It also can take a bit to tick him off. New guys can take a bit of getting used to on both sides. So let us chill for a bit, everyone, even you Padawan. Go build something! BTW, welcome to ARC! :monkeydance:

Amen brother!

I'm an atheist, but I totally agree with strikeeagle and can only say: "That's the spirit!"

:cheers:

back to the subject:

I've been cheating on ARC, yes, I did... :taunt:

I found some straight to the point opinions here

The Revell/Monogram kit was one of my first builds, at the age of 10, I believe. I enjoyed every minute.

Hope that helps, Padawan, and welcome to ARC, mate!

rg

Martin

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

a10.jpg

I'm an atheist, but I totally agree with strikeeagle and can only say: "That's the spirit!"

:P

Just curious....how could anyone ever be an atheist? As nutty and unpredictible as this world is....ya gotta have something Higher to hold on to. Just wondering... Love this thread though. I absoulutely say 'amen brother'....'that's the spirit'....whatever. One of the joys I get out of this Board is to teach new people some of the things I've learned. No matter how many times in has been beat to death. Peace.

Thanks!

Paul

Edited by pminer

PLEASE stop it guys. This is silly. Electronic media is the absolute worst because people read things wrong, read into things, assume intonation, etc. There are no silly/stupid questions no matter how many search engines you use or don't use. The reality is that two folks can build the same kit and arrive at different conclusions, just like two well-meaning people can get off on the wrong foot.

Apologies are in order. Shake hands and hug or something and let's get back to talking about modeling. :whistle:

I was bowhunting out on Fort McCoy and one of the A-10s flew right over my head, just about tree top level....I was holding my bow looking up at a 30mm gun and never felt more insignificant in my life.....

LOL! Funny as I have also shotgun deer hunted in the area (litte more southwest) but never had that encounter. I wonder if they ground those planes during the opening of gun-deer season in Wisconsin given outside the towns and taverns exists the worlds 3rd largest army in blaze orange.

Somehow I don't think an A-10 has much to worry about a 12guage slug or a 30-06, but it could scratch the paint.

"Thank God I'm an atheist".

Anyway, back to topic, I've been searching the LHS's for a Monogram A-10A, but as I thought: no luck.

How off / hard to convert is Hobby Boss A-10 to an 80's hog? That's the only easily available A-10A in 1/48th here.

Ricardo

Ok I'll give an attempt to answer this.

The best kit for the money - the Monogram one. It has raised panel lines, some dodgy fit (but EVERY A-10 build has quirks) and some non-standard weapons. The AGM-65s are good but the cluster munitions and napalm are better consigned to the spares box for a Vietnam era ground pounder. It is best suited for a pre-Desert Storm 'Hawg. No LASTE upgrades which came in about the same time as the gray schemes came on line so a Cold War lizard green Hawg this is best. LASTE are the bumps on the tail and tailplanes as well as the GPS dome behind the cockpit.

Italieri - nice kit get the Quickboost fans ($9 more or less), especially if you can snag it for alot less than current MSRP here stateside ($40+ too much for it IMHO). You do get LASTE bumps to add to the kit so you can do a post DS build. Also a good selection of modern Hawg ordinance including single rail AGM-65 launchers (the triple rails are mostly relics of the 1980's). Basic cockpit but it seems designed for use with the Eduard color Zoom PE. Some outline errors according to the Teen Fighter Mafia especially around the nose but once I botch the seams and go to town with the sanding stick I honestly don't see much differance. Recessed panel lines.

Hobbyboss the Mercedes of A-10 kits. Molded on LASTE bits a ton of mostly unuseable weaponry. It seems they took pics of the weapons during the early testing program and think they are still used, like GBU-8 HOBOS which never were used, but also has the Sidewinder rails and differant ECM pods. Mine will probably be an A-10C one of these days. I got it early and cheap but I'd hesitate advising it for a 'newbie' modeler (newbie to the A-10 at least!)

Tamiya has probably the oldest and honestly I cannot remember anything about my build 20+ years ago. IIRC the kit best represents the earliest Hawgs that did not have the ECM and chaff buckets under the wings and gear pods. Again IIRC the last time I thought of getting one I was planning to buy a Monogram one as a detail scrap kit for cockpit and other details. But I couldn't find the early JAWs scheme decals I wanted (the second Italeri boxing has them - they are the WW II Italian looking paint scheme on the boxart) so I forgot about that project. The weapons were what I think HB copied thier load from. Raised panel lines dating from the late 70's or early 80's at least

There also is an old ESCI/ERTL boxing that really is not worth looking for anymore with the current crop of kits. For a long time it was the only alternative to the Tamiya and Monogram kits, and it was a distant third. There also was a Revell kit from the 80's that is now extinct once Revell bought Monogram. Now only valuable as a collectors kit.

Go with the Monogram (Revell) one as best value for the money.

HTH

Matt

Ricardo:

I vote for the Monogram A-10 as the best value for the money and to be most accurate for the 80s. As you can see there a plenty of opinions, though. There are also a lot of books and internet references that cover that time in the A-10s life. A good place to start might be the wikipedia article about the A-10. At the bottom of that entry are several suggested books and links, many of which are quite good.

For an 80s-vintage Warthog there is quite a big selection aftermarket items.

Hope this helps.

Rick in Maine

Rick, thanks for the answer, but Monogram kits are rare here in Portugal and I don't want to buy one from the US, given all the custom taxes and such...

Ricardo

See what the Italieri one costs versus the Hobbyboss one in Portugal. You may be able to afford some aftermarket for the Italieri if the price differance is enough. Just remember that here Stateside the Monogram mold is under $25 the Italieri and Tamiya are both around $40-$50 and the Hobbyboss is $70+ at retail. That is also a reason that alot of us like the old Monogram mold, it is inexpensive here.

The Italieri one is a bit more multi-use in the 'Flying Tiger' boxing (the original one) all of the LASTE bumps are separate and can be left off, the HB kit has them molded on and thus must be sanded off to do an early Hawg. Also the Italieri has a good selection of MODERN weaponry, but if you are wanting 'classic Cold War' A-10 the Hobbyboss has a better selection with triple AGM-65 launchers and such that are not found under the wings currently.

Happy Modeling

Matt