Entry#1, Me 262A-1a, "Red 2", 10./NJG 11

Got a few hours at the workbench yesterday. I had hoped to use the Eduard pre-painted PE set for the Hasegawa 262 for interior but it just didn't fit so I did it the old fashioned way. As usual it looks better in real life, the macro seems to catch every little imperfection that the old Mk. I eyeball wouldn't pick up in this scale.

DSCN1913.jpg

DSCN1914.jpg

DSCN1916.jpg

DSCN1918.jpg

Next up is grafting the CMK resin nose with the detailed gun bay to fuselage.

Edited by The Mikester
Looks very good so far Mike and looking forward to seeing more progress pictures of this one for sure.

Greg

Agree with Greg for sure! The A-1a just has this... look... to it that's intimidating. Love it.

Got the CMK resin nose grafted on, pretty happy with the fit, only required a minimal amount of filler.

DSCN1922.jpg

Wheel bay detail. Revell does some strange stuff with their 1/72 kits. The bottom of the cockpit tub and and the interior of the fuselage are detailed but the wheel bays in the wings are molded over, incorrectly portraying how it should look and obscuring all the detail. Opened them up with a Dremel, you can see where I got a little carried away, but the interior gear doors should cover that up once installed.

DSCN1924.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on whether the the inside of the landing gear doors and the gun bay covers should be RLM 02 or NMF? I know paint was in short supply late in the war but not sure how much stuff was left unpainted.

IIRC - if the wheel wells were RLM02, so were the LG doors. NMF the same way. As for the Gun Bay Covers... I'll get back to you on that one. I've got quite a few books showing late war Luftwaffe a/c, including the 262's. See what I can find for 262A-1a's for you after work today.

Mark.

Tough call on the wheel bay and doors, as "normally" they would be RLM 02 but as a few here already stated, due to the shortage of raw materials, it's really a builders choice issue and personally like many of the late war aircraft that left many of these parts bare metal. Nice to see more progress on this one too Mike and love the resin nose.

Greg

The wheel bay doors were made of wood, with the possible exception of the small inner doors of the main gear, and were usually prepainted RLM 76where they were made. If you're going to paint the undersides of your bird black, the inside surfaces should be light blue.

The wheel bay doors were made of wood, with the possible exception of the small inner doors of the main gear, and were usually prepainted RLM 76where they were made. If you're going to paint the undersides of your bird black, the inside surfaces should be light blue.

Good info, thanks!

Ever win an argument with a bag of rocks? Me neither. Anyhoo, back to our regularly scheduled programming:

The gun bay painted and detailed:

DSCN1925.jpg

DSCN1928.jpg

Getting pretty close to paint time. I've left off the cap on the starboard nacelle since I'm going to leave that NMF for a little visual interest.

DSCN1933.jpg

Mike,

Awesome nose! Love the 30mm's you've got in there.

In regards to what I was talking about before - Majority of A-1a's had painted wheel bays and noses, but I have found pictures of ones with the wheel bays and nose bay unpainted with no noticeable pattern to some of them. A real dogs breakfast near the end of the war. A dozen pictures and only 3 are the same. Sorry Mike.

Mark.

Entry #1? Very ambitious! Looking good so far Mike.

Also some very interesting info here about finishes and painting. Also, thanks to Jes for his info in my thread regarding Maj. Sinner's aircraft.

Entry #1? Very ambitious! Looking good so far Mike.

Also some very interesting info here about finishes and painting. Also, thanks to Jes for his info in my thread regarding Maj. Sinner's aircraft.

Always ambitious, usually not too realistic! :banana:

I only managed to get two done for the last one due to travelling for work, I'm hoping for a few more this go around.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the paint on and let me tell you it's been a struggle to get to this point! The first coat of paint revealed some areas that I was not entirely happy with so fill, sand, repeat, etc. I was just putting on the finishing touches on the scond go-around of paint, the only area left to do was the black mottling on the aft part of the fuselage. Grab my bottle of Aircraft Black, shake and DOH! The cap was loose and voila! Spots of black paint all over my paint job! :D

Note to self, tighten paint lid when done. :rolleyes:

If you're wondering why the canopy isn't on there it's because much like Revell's 1/72 109 and 190, the one that comes with the kit sucks. Semi-transparent and ill fitting. Replacement True Details vacuform canopy will be required.

RLM 81 and 83 is Aeromaster acrylic, lower surfaces are MM Aircraft Black topped off with some Tamiya NATO Black to tone it down a bit.

Happy Halloween!

DSCN1965.jpg

DSCN1968.jpg

DSCN1972.jpg

Edited by The Mikester

Great work Mike. Love the 262.

Grab my bottle of Aircraft Black, shake and DOH! The cap was loose and voila! Spots of black paint all over my paint job! :D

Another reason to stir rather than shake! Good recovery though.

Kev