Apollo Astronaut Buzz Aldrin on the moon

You've done such a nice job on this :jaw-dropping: ... may I suggest a couple of tweaks?

On the gloves, the finger tips are a light blue. And on the helmet's visor, are little tabs (one in each top corner and one long one on the bottom) which allow Buzz to move the visor up or down. Here's a pic ..

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5903HR.jpg

And the reflection IS a nice touch. A few coats of Future will bring out the reflection bee-yoo-tee-fully! (If your reflection is printed on an inkjet, I'm not sure if it should be sealed first, as the Future may dissolve the water based inks. )

I really like the subtle weathering you've done on the figure and on the backpack (PLSS) specifically. Too many modellers over-do the shadows on the figure. Yours is perfect!

Is this a 120mm figure?

You've done a very, very nice job on Buzz!

Thanx for the peek!

Pete

Awesome job! what kit is this? i would love to get one.

Bill

Hi Bill

Its the Revell Kit 1:8 scale highly modified arms and helmet,in also made the visor decal to show as if Neil Armstrong where taking the photo.I matched the famous photo he took notice the sensor probe that was one of the landers legs in gold foil near to his boot.I will make the changes to the visor and gloves thanks for help for that.

Paul

> really like the subtle weathering you've done on the figure and on the backpack (PLSS) specifically. Too many modellers over-do the >shadows on the figure. Yours is perfect!

Mos' excellent work,Bill!

How DID you do the weathering/shadowing on the suit creases? Really does look authentic!

:cheers: Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

> really like the subtle weathering you've done on the figure and on the backpack (PLSS) specifically. Too many modellers over-do the >shadows on the figure. Yours is perfect!

Mos' excellent work,Bill!

How DID you do the weathering/shadowing on the suit creases? Really does look authentic!

:D Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum & ex-NASA flack)

Hi Les

Well,its a matt black thinners roughly.

I took a jam jar and dipped a paint brush into some matt black and then washed it out in some thinners (turps) and put the lid back on.When i use it i shake the jam jar with the thinners in and it mixes it and thin i take the lid of and use the excess in the lid.You tend to get black around edge and cleaner thinners towards the centre of the lid.Then i use a thin brush and dip into the middle between clear and the black part.Then i mix up a bit on a brush and apply it just like water really into the creases and leave overnight.If it needs more to darken it i apply another bit more to get it right.

There's nothing special about Les

Thanks for asking

Paul Parkes

Parkes682Decals

www.parkes682decals.piczo.com

Looks very good, especially considering the base kit. You know Buzz is going to suffocate, right? He's got no air supply Sorry, I'm working on the Reheat 120mm astronaut figure of Alan Shepard playing golf, so I got to know the suit and the PLSS pretty well. Regardless, very nicely done!

Looks very good, especially considering the base kit. You know Buzz is going to suffocate, right? He's got no air supply Sorry, I'm working on the Reheat 120mm astronaut figure of Alan Shepard playing golf, so I got to know the suit and the PLSS pretty well. Regardless, very nicely done!

Hi Jason

There is an air supply to Buzz,have a look at photo (we got a bunch of guys about to turn blue were beathing again thanks alot)

apollo11moon2002.jpg

Edited by parkes682decals

Hi Paul,

The PLSS is a 2 part affair (and an amazing piece of equipment). The hoses running from the top part are actually the emergency oxygen supply in case the primary fails. There are 2 hoses that run from it to the right side of the suit, as shown on your fig. The primary oxygen supply hose, along with the CO2 out and cooling water, runs under the left arm. Here are a couple of pics that will show it better than I can explain

EMUConnectors.jpg

Heres a GI Joe Apollo astronaut figure that gives a good shot of the hoses on the left side, though his suit is the later LB that was used on later Apollo's (16 & 17, I believe) so the configuration is different than your Apollo 11 figure.

spacesuitApolloLg.jpg

A good site for all things space suited related

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a14/A14ShepardFlownSuit.html

Again, I think you did a great job on the fig, better than I could likely achieve, thats for sure!

Cheers

Jason

Edited by JasonB

does anyone know if they are going to re-release this kit in the U.S.? it seems like it's only available now in Europe. i'd like to get one and i will order it from overseas if i need to, but i'd rather just get one stateside if possible.

see Paul, you went and sparked an interest over here. that's more money i can't hold on to. :whistle:

Bill

does anyone know if they are going to re-release this kit in the U.S.? it seems like it's only available now in Europe. i'd like to get one and i will order it from overseas if i need to, but i'd rather just get one stateside if possible.

see Paul, you went and sparked an interest over here. that's more money i can't hold on to. ;)

Bill

Hi Bill

I just fancied making one seeing as it was the 40th Anniversary and the revell kit came along and i thought about modifying it to that famous photo that Neil Armstrong took of Buzz Aldrin and bobs your uncle i did it

Best Regards

Paul

Those are all copies/counterfeits. Right off the bat I see copies of Verlinden and S&T 120mm figures, and I can assure you neither of those companies has authorized anyone to copy their stuff . Notice all the resin figures and kits just say "resin figure" or "resin kit", no name brand? The 120mm astronaut playing golf is a copy of a Reheat figure, I have all the originals. The lunar rover you point out was released by EVA models in the late 90s as I recall. The guy who ran EVA died from a heart attack, I believe early this year or last, but theres no doubt thats a copy of his kit. Even the decal sheet and PE they show are identical. Probably the same outfit that lists the stuff on e-bay.

Thanks Jason... I suspected that.

First inkling was that this outfit is located in China.

I also noticed that there was no brand name associated.

I picked up on this from a Google ad on Modeling Madness.

I can't paint figures worth a darn but I think that lunar rover

thing is pretty cool, even though I WILL NOT buy counterfit copies!

Yep, I had almost bought the original when it first came out, it looked like a real stunner. Besides the whole moral/legal issue with buying copies, I doubt seriously they are anywhere near as good as the originals. Those were very good.

Hi Bill! If you are still looking for a copy of the Revell kit, I should be able to help. I ended up with an extra copy when I was looking for one, and I plan on only building a single copy. I am located in Atlanta, so postage is a bit better. Send me a PM if you are interested!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

see Paul, you went and sparked an interest over here. that's more money i can't hold on to. :thumbsup:

Bill

Hi Bill! If you are still looking for a copy of the Revell kit, I should be able to help. I ended up with an extra copy when I was looking for one, and I plan on only building a single copy. I am located in Atlanta, so postage is a bit better. Send me a PM if you are interested!

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Hey Mike, did you get a PM from me? i was pretty sure i hit send, but it's not showing up in my sent list.

anyway, yes i am interested.

Bill