NASA 747 Shuttle Transporter...

Hello Gang,

I'm not an airline guy so can you guys help me with information on NASA 747 space shuttle transporter. What block # (100, 200, 300, ...) are they? I have seen photographs of the first transporter they purchased from AA airlines and now they have another.

Also, what are my option in 1/100 scale 747? I know they are hard to come buy and are expensive. I'm planing for a future project and I would like to know if I can even do such project in a large scale. All help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Mike

Edited by Youngtiger1

I have seen few on ebay but wasn't sure which will be best subject for the NASA transporter and huge....oh yeah! That's the name of the game. Since, tamiya came out with there 1/100 shuttle than why not go big instead of 1/144...:wave:

Hello Gang,

I'm not an airline guy so can you guys help me with information on NASA 747 space shuttle transporter. What block # (100, 200, 300, ...) are they? I have seen photographs of the first transporter they purchased from AA airlines and now they have another.

Also, what are my option in 1/100 scale 747? I know they are hard to come buy and are expensive. I'm planing for a future project and like to know if I even that do such project in a large scale. All help will be greatly appreciated. :wave:

Mike

The Shuttle Transporter is an Old American Airlines 747-100 It was built for American. American did not take delivery of it. So Boeing sold it to government to transport the Shuttle via piggy back. The AA Colors stayed on the aircraft for a little while before they painted it.

Frank

The Nitto kits are certainly big and well suited to mate the Tamiya Shuttle with; really looking forward to seeing this happen! :wave:

Here's one of my favorite pictures of the subject, which also provides good overhead reference for the beast!

297524main_image_1244_1600-1200.jpg

Take care,

Frank

The Shuttle Transporter is an Old American Airlines 747-100 It was built for American. American did not take delivery of it. So Boeing sold it to government to transport the Shuttle via piggy back. The AA Colors stayed on the aircraft for a little while before they painted it.

American most assuredly did take delivery of the current Shuttle carrier a/c. The first one was 747-123, msn 20107, registered N9668. It was delivered to American on 29 October 1970. It was transferred to NASA in August of 1974 and re-registered N905NA. From 1970-74 it was in regular line service with American.

J

American most assuredly did take delivery of the current Shuttle carrier a/c. The first one was 747-123, msn 20107, registered N9668. It was delivered to American on 29 October 1970. It was transferred to NASA in August of 1974 and re-registered N905NA. From 1970-74 it was in regular line service with American.

J

Jennings is spot on. The 2nd airframe (N911NA) is an ex-JAL SR, and still has JAL finishings on the upper deck. BTW, one or both airframes are likely to become parts birds for the SOFIA 747SP after Shuttle is retired

The Nitto kits are certainly big and well suited to mate the Tamiya Shuttle with; really looking forward to seeing this happen! :coolio:

Take care,

Frank

Frank, Your right about big. Couple off years ago someone brought a 1/100 747 to a local model show and it was painted as an Air Force One. I don't know what kit it was but it sure was an impressive kit and size.

Few years back somebody posted a photograph on here (ARC) of a 1/72 747 w/ Revell Space Shuttle on its back. It is amazing build. So, I'm thinking 1/100 will be a good eye candy ;)

Mike

I had one of those 1/100 747's I bought in the Phiippines about a million years ago. When I moved, I decided to discard it. Now I kick myself. Well, I have a 1/72 Revell Shuttle, so, I may as well get a 1/72 747. In for a penny, in for a pound. By the way, never argue with Jennings about any type of Boeing civil and/or military airframe. He is wired in somewhere so well that it's spooky. If I ever have a question about a Boeing product, He's the guy I'm gonna ask.

Paul :)

Bear in mind, if you do this in either 1/72 or 1/100, the shuttle kits don't come with the aerodynamic tailcone. The only Shuttle that was flown without the tailcone in place was Enterprise, during the drop/aerodynamic tests. All other shuttles have been flown with the cone on, as a drag reducing device. You'll either have to do the shuttle as Enterprise, or fabricate the tailcone from scratch, as I don't think anyone makes it as an aftermarket item.

The 1/144 Shuttle/747 comes with the tailcone, as do the 1/288 kits of the same combo.

HTH

Alvis 3.1

Edited by Alvis 3.1

Sounds like a good plan. It's always easier when a model company does the part instead of scratchbuilding it yourself.

The tail cone fairing would likely sell on it's own as well. Or, at least I think it would, but then, what do I know? :)

Alvis 3.1

Neil,

That's evil. I'll take one since I'm slowly collecting the kits needed to do the B-29/X-1, NB-52A (Balls 8) and X-15, and the SCA and Shuttle all in 1/72.

Paul :woot.gif:

And don't forget those DIY warehouse plans :)

J

Neil, I'm seriously thinking about getting one 1/72 747 and if you do decide to come out with a space shuttle transporter conversion then I will have to get one. Of course, I'll just have to drop the 1/100 choice :woot.gif:

Mike

Neil,

I tried to find some photos of the kit on the net but no luck. Can you post some photograph of your kit and all that is included in it on this thread? TIA.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Just located the beginning of a build review on a 1/72 Shuttle/747 project, which has some nice shots of the 747.

747/Shuttle

Neil, I'm assuming this was the original release; what changes were affected on the re-worked release?

Take care,

Frank