1/48 PHANTOM Single Engine, Single Seat

Exactly what I was thinking; single-seat/single engine Phantom = Demon. There's a reason that McDonnell added that second engine...

The Phantom II started off as the Super Demon, a heavily upgraded Demon, they added the second engine partway through the development (along with the second seat, the Phantom II went through a lot of design variations before the first XF4H flew)

• 3 weeks later...

The last twenty days done the work I hate: corrected a miriad of scratches and imperfections.

Taken from the desperation I had completed this phase very brutally using several layers of Gunze Mr.Surfacer 500 from the spray can.

This brutal solution has be very resolutive.

In the past two days done something other of significant on the Phantom Single Seat/Single Engine (Phantom I & 1/2 ??).

For first scribed the fuselage surfaces.

As second work finally given a first hand of paint.

On the upper and lower surfaces used the Humbrol 28 US Fs-36622.

phantom-monomotore-3774-small.JPG

If it's not to late... maybe add some area rule to her. I think a bit of a coke bottle shape would give it a more realistic look. Besides... Area ruling makes a jet look sexy. Enjoying this build!

Curt

Yes, it's true, the area rule on the my Phantom is almost gone.

I could have solved this mistake adding a pair of pasticard pieces on the end to restore the original coke bottle shape but I have left loose the idea because of the risk of to spend too much time on this operation.

I was thinking, this could be a F-3.5 ... :jaw-dropping:

More than a Demon yet not quite a Phantom ...

Gregg

He's the little brother of the Phantom II, a semplified version.

The F-4F for Germany as originally thinked in the sixties should have been a single seat Phantom, with the rear canopy covered from a fariring. I'm gone over taking away even the second engine.

Work done today:

applied strips of 5 millimeters Aizu tape and applied the second layer of paint.

This time Humbrol 121 (Fs-33531 Israeli sand), this time experimentally diluted with Xtracolor's Quick Dry Thinner.

phantom-monomotore-3777.JPG

phantom-monomotore-3776.JPG

phantom-monomotore-3778.JPG

Excellent, have you got a final colour scheme in mind yet? The sand makes me think IAF, but I think it will look good however you do it, its got a nice mix of the sort of brutish F-4 character and the more "dainty" looks of the earlier McDonnell series.

Outstanding craftsmanship to make the conversion, whatever you do next!

Excellent, have you got a final colour scheme in mind yet? The sand makes me think IAF, but I think it will look good however you do it, its got a nice mix of the sort of brutish F-4 character and the more "dainty" looks of the earlier McDonnell series.

Outstanding craftsmanship to make the conversion, whatever you do next!

I call the my variant of the Digital Camo "The Digital Rain Scheme": it is done by little irregular stripes of paint in two or three tones (for now the colors are fs-36622 plus from today the israeli sand).

Do You remember the movie Matrix and the vertical parallel lines of text falling from above? the my idea of camo is based on this:

matrix.jpg

PS: here is an image that show the real dimensions of the Single Engine Phantom VS the real model:

comparazione-phantoms-3787-small.JPG

Edited by G_Marcat_Italy

Here's a thought, if you do the little stripes, assuming they are "lengthways" on the model, if you fuzzed up the "rear" edges a little, you could create a "motion blur" effect, which would bamboozle the eye, as the camo would look like its moving across the model

Here's a thought, if you do the little stripes, assuming they are "lengthways" on the model, if you fuzzed up the "rear" edges a little, you could create a "motion blur" effect, which would bamboozle the eye, as the camo would look like its moving across the model

Nice idea but on the tail and fuselage the stripes are in vertical.

The work done today:

A little less than planned: to bring forward the two Phantoms together (this Single Engine and the other, the Phantom-Viggen) requires sacrifices.

Today applied on the Light Sand a new bunch of Aizu's tape. Tomorrow I will cover the light sand with another tint....

phantom-monomotore-3798.JPG

Yesterday finally applied the third color of the "rain effect camo": the last color used is the Israeli Light Green.

The strips that form the "rain effect camo-Matrix" are made with the colors: Grey 36622, Israeli light sand and Isareli light Green.

phantom-single-3803.JPG

phantom-single-3799.JPG

Edited by G_Marcat_Italy

Today applied the last strips of tape and begun to paint the last layer.

The top angular camo is inspired at the FERRIS scheme applied at the NAVY's F-4S.

In the front section there is a tone of very dark green, in the tail zone there is a Blue Gray tone.

phantom-single-3805.JPG

phantom-single-3806.JPG

In the middle section will apply.... do not know, will choose tomorrow.

Nice work!

Ironically, I am currently creating a widebody twin engined MiG-21 variant... :-)

Cheers,

Andre

Mig-21 Twin Engined?

Same idea but different subject. I'm doing the conceptual drawings before of starting to work on this:

f-104-bimotore-dietro-2%20code.jpg

A F-104 with wo engines...

Mig-21 Twin Engined?

Yup. I've sliced the spine and fin off a cheap Plastyk 1/72nd MiG-21SM and will widen the body, enabling two engines. It'll have side intakes(adapted from spare F-104G intakes out of Hasegawa's F-104S) and a MiG-23 type nose in a lenghtened front fuselage (Zvezda's MiG-27 comes with a MiG-23MF nose cone as a surplus part, as well as AA-7's which are unsuitable for the Strike Flogger but will look nice on this one, together with four AA-8's on twin launchers).

The "what-if" backstory is that a long range variant was developed as a backup for the Su-15 program. It'll have tactical camouflage - with all the plastic card and Milliput that'll go into the fuselage plug and new intakes, no way I'll be able to pull off a metal finish...

Same idea but different subject. I'm doing the conceptual drawings before of starting to work on this:

A F-104 with wo engines...

Nice idea!

Cheers,

Andre

The horror has taken form.... vomit.gif

Today removed all the mini strips of tape and this is the result.....

DSCF3818.JPG

DSCF3819.JPG

DSCF3820.JPG

vomit.gif OH MY GOD... one week of work for this shame. vomit.gif

Now will study if there a way to save the work done, but it's hard to save something here.

Edited by G_Marcat_Italy

G, you have a great build there ...

Just primer over it and come up with something else ...

I like the wings, to me, the stripes on the fuselage is what's throwing it all off ...

Gregg

Agreeing with Gregg here - it is worth saving.

Just a thought - I'd figure it will look good in the classic '70s Luftwaffe RAL7012/6014/7001 splinter camo with large Iron Crosses and the big numerals on the side, with perhaps some Dayglo thrown in just for the hell of it.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Andre