fixed or free

ok.. quick question,... do you make your models up so the props move or are static? I think I am going to have fit problems with my current build (have had to pad out the engine nacelles) and just wondering if it is "cheating" to fix the props - mostly cos I want to glue the halves of nacelle together to sand before applying the prop...

I like to just stick them onto the shafts. Most of the time they spin, but they are not glued on. I do the same for Helicopter rotors. I hate when They are fixed and someone tries to spin them and they break a blade off! I never had a model that has props that someone didn't try and spin one, and if it falls off they think they broke it and are very careful after that!!!

Curt

I usually just stick the prop on the shaft. I can take the prop off for transport to contests, etc. Maybe you could just leave the prop off until the end and "glue" it in with white glue. It will secure it in place, but you will be able to remove it if needed.

The prop is usually one of the last parts I add, after all painting and decalling are done. Consequently unless there is a firm fit with the prop shaft they end up glued on. An Xacto held threateningly usually discourages would be prop spinners :woot.gif:

My props don't spin and my wheels don't roll. Beware to anyone who tries to spin one of my props. Had an incident quit a few years back now. It was an airshow, and my club had a display in theold blimp hangar at NAS South Weymouth, Ma. I had a 1/32nd Revell Zero I'd done quite a bit of work on. Well, that hangar was literally a wind tunnel, and the prop on the Zero started spinning rapidly enough that it started taxiing toward the table's edge. Luckily I saw what was happening, and rescued the model, but the prop had spun so rapidly, the shaft heated up and broke. Hal Sr

The prop is usually one of the last parts I add, after all painting and decalling are done. Consequently unless there is a firm fit with the prop shaft they end up glued on.

Yep, this is my take on it too.

Kev

I generally like to have mine spin. I'll often replace the shaft with styrene rod, and make a shaft housing out of aluminum tube. I then rub the shaft with a graphite pencil for lubrication, insert it in the shaft housing, then flare the end with a hot knife. I drill out the engine so the shaft housing fits snugly, and insert the prop as the last step in construction.

SN

thanks guys... I think on this one the work I have had to do on the nacelle will be the controlling factor => they will be fixed... unless... tape nacelle halves together tpo do the sanding of the packing.. drill the hole I currently have blocked, pack it a little to make it circular.... then it should work...

My props don't spin and my wheels don't roll. Beware to anyone who tries to spin one of my props. Had an incident quit a few years back now. It was an airshow, and my club had a display in theold blimp hangar at NAS South Weymouth, Ma. I had a 1/32nd Revell Zero I'd done quite a bit of work on. Well, that hangar was literally a wind tunnel, and the prop on the Zero started spinning rapidly enough that it started taxiing toward the table's edge. Luckily I saw what was happening, and rescued the model, but the prop had spun so rapidly, the shaft heated up and broke. Hal Sr

Hal,

the club had shows back when the blimp hangar was still around? or are you talking the newer one that was built on its footprint?

hows things?

I've found that blades on rotating props do not break off, unlike fixed items such as pitot tubes and antenna masts, an important consideration around cats. They can be "posed" for photos. It's also a fun challenge to fit a movable prop so that it does not hang lopsidedly loose on the plane.

I leave my props free. This morning was a good case in point. A child came over with its mother to interview for my wife's daycare. I keep my models on shelves on the front porch, where they are supposed to be safe.

The child walks over (He is 9 BTW) looking at the models, my wife tells the child four times NOT to touch my models, sure enough, he cannot resist, and gives the B-25 prob a spin.

I leave my props free. This morning was a good case in point. A child came over with its mother to interview for my wife's daycare. I keep my models on shelves on the front porch, where they are supposed to be safe.

The child walks over (He is 9 BTW) looking at the models, my wife tells the child four times NOT to touch my models, sure enough, he cannot resist, and gives the B-25 prob a spin.

Exactly! I have cought grown men looking around to see if I was watching before they spin a prop. They know it's wrong; however it's just somthing that can't be resisted!

Curt

I have 2 neices, one nephew and a son. The props spin on my models because I like to see them spin but it's a help with younger children around. My neice opened my cabinet to play with my "toys" :doh: and thankfully didn't damage them. She liked to make faces on the glass too, that was actually kinda funny. But I keep my props free unless they're unable to be so or the fit is to tight. Hasegawa's Zero & F4U were good examples.

G'Day Robw. My model props are always free. I almost always replace the kit shaft/s with brass tube. The prop's tube is inserted into another larger piece of brass tube (a closely sleeving piece). This allows the prop/s to spin nicely (my boy loves that aspect) and they remove easily for painting & transporting.

George, out....................