Converting a B-25J into some RCAF Trainer

I'm quickly going to upload some pictures, hopefully I've got more work done by the end of the weekend, but as it stands, I'm thinking I've got my hands on a vac formed canopy and construction of the MLG isn't going to be an issue at all, so, enjoy! Comments, etc., as always are welcome.

DSC05482.jpg

DSC05483.jpg

DSC05484.jpg

DSC05485.jpg

DSC05486.jpg

Edited by Kostucha

Well thank you! I will say this though, if you are going to do it again, I strongly suggest getting the CanMilAir decals. As I mentioned, these are by far my most favored decals I've ever used... the fact that some of the decals don't appear straight are no fault of Bills at all... rather either my inability to tell what is straight, or that the macro option on the camera warps things a bit... or... both, leaning heavily to my side of applying decals and sipping on Rum & Cokes

Cheers,

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

Larry - Maveric728470 - was more than kind enough to supply me with the canopy and the MLG leg. So, in the mean time, I'm going to be working on weathering this bird and finishing the base. I've got the last bit of trim needed for the base, and once on, the last wash over the brick will be applied. I'm doing this after the trim is on and the coin is set so that I can intentionally darken the area around the coin, but also underneath the Mitchell to give the appearance of a shadow.

Hopefully we can have some pictures up tomorrow of the weathering as it progresses.

Cheers, and thanks again Larry for the help, and Neo for the other suggestion.

Mark

Well thank you! I will say this though, if you are going to do it again, I strongly suggest getting the CanMilAir decals. As I mentioned, these are by far my most favored decals I've ever used... the fact that some of the decals don't appear straight are no fault of Bills at all... rather either my inability to tell what is straight, or that the macro option on the camera warps things a bit... or... both, leaning heavily to my side of applying decals and sipping on Rum & Cokes

Cheers,

Mark.

Ha!!! I'm the one that suggested Canmilair back on page one!!!

Way to stick to it, Mark- that looks great! The decals look great, especially if you're sipping something... ;D

Cheers!

chuk

Thank you Chuk! Your 410 is a marvel of work, I was just there looking at your last update. My jaw almost broke - again- from hitting the floor so hard.

Some quick pictures folks:

The completed base. There are shortcomings of it, however, all things considered, it'll do the job:

DSC05499.jpg

Here is a mock up of the Mitchell overtop of the shadow. I like how it came out, given my first time doing it, and reading a lot of different ways from this forum on how to do it, it didn't turn out too shabby. As I said, there are short comings, I would certainly not do another one like this, but given that the Mitchell is going on a display case stand at the school, and it's height will be limiting what is seen, I'm not overly concerned. The focus is the Mitchell itself, and the base just gives a nice 'extra'... I tried to keep the shadowed areas similar in the various tones of light/dark spots that the unshadowed bricks have

DSC05505.jpg

Work on fading the colours, weathering the canvas, and beginning stages of the huge amounts of fading on the anti-glare portion of the nose:

DSC05509.jpg

DSC05510.jpg

DSC05512.jpg

You can see the paint line on the port side needs to be cleaned up and made straight as well

DSC05511.jpg

DSC05514.jpg

I was thinking of adding a darker section of shadow around where the main wheel are going to be, but then realized that the landing gear themselves would be giving off a natural shadow of their own, so rather than going too dark and loosing the red of the bricks under the black, I left it there.

Tonight I hope to finish off the props, and start on the metal mounting stands for the landing gear. I've got an old hex screw I'm going to use as a mold for melted plastic to see if I can create effective scale bolts. All that's left from here is further weathering, mounting all the antenna, minor repairs (read: scoop on the port rear fuselage is AWOL), and patiently await the canopy and landing gear leg.

Looking forward to your comments, critiques, and advice.

Cheers all,

Mark.

Edited by Kostucha

Ya, took a second to look at it as well. I was worried about it when you mentioned it, thought I lined it up right, but it does look like the camera angle (the two vertical stabs show being slightly over the starboard side). There are a couple shots where the shapes look off...

Cheers,

Mark.

Ah yes! Definitely given me some food for thought - and a relit hatred for this build... Hahaha.

I'm going to take a good close look at it tonight and see what can be done about it. Worst comes to worst, I'll either add the trim of either flat black or silver to it to line it up. First things first though, that tail section is getting fixed up with the port side white/red demarcation line.

Thank you guys, and cheers,

Mark.

I'm in a similar love/hate relationship with an F-14. I'm changing an F-14A to an F-14B. Lots of putty, sanding and rivets. I've redone one section three times to get it just right.

Mark;

How about taping a string to the centre of the rear of the aircraft and running it to the centre of the nose? It'll give you a good reference point for the centreline of the aircraft.

Thanks!

No work until the parts get here. No point in carrying on with weathering, etc., until the canopy is on. In the mean time, I'm gonna crack open the Sea Kings tonight and get started on those.

Cheers,

Mark.