A new molded Su-33 by Hasegawa?

I think I said about a month ago - the Su-33 is a strange choice to kit - and it can't easily be made into any other Flanker variant.

It is too different - it's the only one with that size/shape of wing for a start. :coolio:

I'm looking forward to it though...... :lol:

Ken

Honestly, just how many modelbuilders care if the kit can be built into more or less one-off airframes?

How many finished KUB's have you seen versus standard Su-27's? There is very very few who are interested in chopping a kit to make a plane that there was only one off. So, 99.9 % will just build Su-33. 90 % of them will probably build it OOB without even adding any details, or fix any possible mistakes.

So honestly, i am very happy we have a new tool Su-33. :salute:

SP290%205_3.jpg

vertical stabilisiers :thumbsup:

resin industry will be very happy

Yes those small intakes at the base of the vert stabilizers should be different sizes, but it isn't a major and difficult correction you can't make or need an expensive resin replacement. Or if you're referring to the slightly cropped vert stab tips, they are cropped in the real Su-33 for height restrictions in their carriers.

Edited by Inquisitor
Yes those small intakes at the base of the vert stabilizers should be different sizes, but it isn't a major and difficult correction you can't make or need an expensive resin replacement. Or if you're referring to the slightly cropped vert stab tips, they are cropped in the real Su-33 for height restrictions in their carriers.

To me it looks like the fin chord is too short, but that could just be an effect of the angle and paint scheme. If the chord is short, then that could have implications for the rest of the empennage.

To me it looks like the fin chord is too short, but that could just be an effect of the angle and paint scheme. If the chord is short, then that could have implications for the rest of the empennage.

Umm the chord looks right to me.

For what it is worth...

I measured angle of the vertical stabs in the photoshop (of the drawings posted earlier by haneto), and angle was around 55 degrees. Scan is slightly distorted tho. Then i measured angle on a pic of the real thing. That pic isn't 100 % in sideview, need to find a better one. But there angle was 49 degrees.

PS: I measured this picture as well:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/photo/viewca...teA&show=12

49.5 degrees. So, it does indeed seems the tails are a bit off. We wont know for sure until someone measures the kit itself, of course.

Edited by Berkut

The tail boom looks rather odd, almost too fat, it should be slightly more rounded and less thick according to pictures of the real thing. At least the spine hump looks many times better then the airfix/icm su-27. The recent earthquake will probably put alot of progress on this kit on hold for awhile as well as anything japanese made. Prayers go out to all of the people of japan.

Brett,

The recent earthquake will probably put alot of progress on this kit on hold for awhile as well as anything japanese made.

Actually, the Idolmaster issue of the Su-33 was due for release in two weeks from now, so I assume it is tooled and ready. It might hit the shops later due to the disaster though.

• 4 weeks later...

While waiting for my Su-33 to arrive from HLJ, one of the japanese pages I know has a quick review of the kit.

http://www.k2.dion.ne.jp/~konjyo/su27/hase...su33/index.html

A rough translation with some of my own comments.

1- Compared to old Su-27 they fixed the rear fuselage width and the length of the nose.

2- Details of the Su-33 like the tailboom accurately reproduced.

3- Differences in the landing gear bay details and the cropped vertical tail reproduced.

4- Slightly thicker MLG and twin nose wheel are correct.

5- Two weapons sprues. Don't need to translate the number of weapons.

It can be noted that the sprue section with the nozzle, wheels and misc details are gated which means the weapon sprue might be recycled for other russian subjects.

6- Windshield and Canopy protected by the sprues. HUD frame in the clear sprue. (No comments on the accuracy)

7- 1) Old Su-27 had the details in photoetch, Su-33 is molded in the plastic and accurately represents the different design, mesh vs slits. 2) That little notch is only present on Su-33s.

8- Surface detail is spectacular but so delicate that might disappear under the paint. RWR antenna on the leading edge included.

9- Seems nose shape is wrong.

10- 1) The IRST platform prominence seems to be exaggerated. 2) Refuel probe molded into the fuselage thus shape not so good. 3) refuel light not sharp enough (besides it doesn't sit flush but stands out of the surface).

11- FOD screen not present. Seems hasegawa got the wrong info on it being omitted for the Su-33.

As for the comments on the construction, the lower part of the vert tail is two parts and the fitting is not too good. (Checking the shape of the vert tail image against line drawings the angle and shape seems right to my mk1 eyeballs.)

There's a difference in thickness from the whole flaps molded into the upper fuselage half and both wing halves glued together, thus it needs a little shimming.

7- 1) Old Su-27 had the details in photoetch, Su-33 is molded in the plastic and accurately represents the different design, mesh vs slits. 2) That little notch is only present on Su-33s.

It is present on upgraded Su-33's - not the originals......

Original....

wingfold_04.jpg

Upgraded.....

http://i040.radikal.ru/1104/2e/a0585f4cdd92.jpg

It's the same RWR aerial as fitted to the Su-27SM......

day02_028.jpg

....although Hasegawa seem to have it pointing in the wrong direction - it should stick out from the L/E slat at 90 deg.

Model looks good so far - thanks for posting and translating Inquisitor.

Although...... that looks like a nasty sink mark on the upper wing - near the tip :(

And those wheel wells.....

Ken

It is present on upgraded Su-33's - not the originals......

Actually, I believe you misunderstood this. 8th photo was regarding the RWR antenna, the little notch was regarding the 7th photo (showing a small notch on the bottom of the main gear dent on the intakes - it is marked with a pink arrow and number 2).

Actually, I believe you misunderstood this. 8th photo was regarding the RWR antenna, the little notch was regarding the 7th photo (showing a small notch on the bottom of the main gear dent on the intakes - it is marked with a pink arrow and number 2).

My apologies..... I see what you mean now......

rockets_02.jpg

I still think the wheel well looks a little shallow though - and that RWR antenna is not quite correct.

But these are minor nit-picks, the rest looks good (so far).

Ken

7- 1) Old Su-27 had the details in photoetch, Su-33 is molded in the plastic and accurately represents the different design, mesh vs slits.

I feel ashamed to call myself Flankerman...... :o

In all my years of building and studying the Flanker, I had never ever noticed the difference in the grilles on the intake sides - I must be getting old :D

You - and Hasegawa - are correct.

The Su-27 has slits in the side panel, the Su-33 has a mesh grille.....

Su-27.....

Flanker%20louvres%2001.jpg

Su-33.....

Flanker%20louvres%2002.jpg

Well spotted Inquisitor and Hasegawa :thumbsup:

I'm off to don my penance shirt.....

Ken

Well spotted Inquisitor and Hasegawa :)

I'm off to don my penance shirt.....

Ken

Not to steal any credit, but I only translated what was written in that page. That site's owner should take the credit.

These links do not working!! :thumbsup:

Some of them work, just try it a few times.

If it was not mentioned before:

The green SU-33 design is part of the DLC for Ace Combat 6 Fires of Liberation. The name of it is "Su-33 Idolmaster Hoshii Miki".

Edited by Zeeman

If Hasegawa is going to release any aircraft from Ace Combat, I wish they'd at least release some of the GOOD stuff, like the Razgriz aircraft, the CFA-44 Nosferatu, rerelease the X-02 Wyvern, and maybe the ADF-01 Falken. In 1/72, of course... :huh:

If Hasegawa is going to release any aircraft from Ace Combat, I wish they'd at least release some of the GOOD stuff, like the Razgriz aircraft, the CFA-44 Nosferatu, rerelease the X-02 Wyvern, and maybe the ADF-01 Falken. In 1/72, of course... :P

Do you understand the kind of investment that represents to make a new mold? It's not worth it for a very little niche market, much less in the current economic recession. The Su-33 was released primarily because it's a soviet/russian modern aircraft, that they choose an Ace Combat/IM@S scheme first is just coincidental. The X-02 was never made into a plastic kit by hasegawa, so no rerelease. Eh? But there are pictures of it in japanese mags? Goddamit learn to read the little english words inbetween japanase characters, does "Scratchbuilt" ring a bell?. The ADF-01 was released in 1/100 by Bandai back when they merged with Namco. There's a thread about this stuff in the sci-fi subforum: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=189989. BTW I updated that thread with the supposedly mag scans that people claim is an X-02 kit by hasegawa, please take a good read of my posts in that thread.

Good for hasegawa they found a new source of schemes to milk their old molds as limited editions, but I wouldn't hold my breath expecting them to fill every Ace Combat fanboy's wishlist. BTW Hasegawa will release this month a F-14D with the cherry blossom scheme from AC.

Edited by Inquisitor
SonicModel page working only under MS Internet Explorer. Not working under Firefox, Opera and Safari browsers (needs msxml3chs.msi).

Ewww MS Internet Explorer, I feel like i'll be raped in the a** if I open that page with IE. :shoot: