Just needed to share this with someone. Really excited. Never seen an Osprey before but TWO flew right over my house (in Norfolk, England)! Fantastic. It had already been a good evening with a pair of F15s from Lakenheath playing chase with lots of reheat but the Ospreys have made it special. Guess they must have been, or are, staying at Mildenhall or Lakenheath.

OK ... I've calmed down now!

Cheers

Ian

Ditto, only in the distance, but no mistaking them. Where are you in Norfolk? I am on the coast, but spent today trundling all over the county, saw the Ospreys in the distance somewhere South of Gt.Snoring, I suspect they are at Mildenhall rather than Lakenheath, but could be either.

And yes, love watching the Lakenheath '15's do their thing, they seem to do a lot over the N.Sea coast, which makes for good spotting ops from the cliff tops here with a pair of binos.

Cool! I got to have a similar experience last weekend- PLU (the University I attend) is right next to McChord AFB, and so there's an almost constant stream of C-17s flying overhead, along with lots of P-3s and the occasional KC-135. Every now and then, i get lucky and see an F-15 or two, and I saw a couple of F-16s for the first time a couple weeks ago. But last weekend, I heard a sound I didn't recognize, and looked up to see an Osprey coming in at pretty low level, followed by another a couple minutes later- definitely made my afternoon! They're such an odd-looking aircraft, but strangely graceful at the same time...

They're getting pretty common over Miramar. I'm starting to not mind the bumper to bumper traffic on the highway when they're doing their rounds. They sure are sexy beasts

I think that 4 x USAF SOF CV-22B are currently at Mildenhall for a evaluation deployment.

Been there for 2 maybe 3 weeks already, maybe 1 more to go.

Others will know more on that.

Regards,

Gerard

I think that 4 x USAF SOF CV-22B are currently at Mildenhall for a evaluation deployment.

Been there for 2 maybe 3 weeks already, maybe 1 more to go.

Others will know more on that.

Regards,

Gerard

Thanks Gerard. That's good to know. Maybe I'll get to see them again then over the weekend. Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Ian

Ditto, only in the distance, but no mistaking them. Where are you in Norfolk? I am on the coast, but spent today trundling all over the county, saw the Ospreys in the distance somewhere South of Gt.Snoring, I suspect they are at Mildenhall rather than Lakenheath, but could be either.

And yes, love watching the Lakenheath '15's do their thing, they seem to do a lot over the N.Sea coast, which makes for good spotting ops from the cliff tops here with a pair of binos.

Hi Matt

I'm down in Attleborough - lived here about 15 years now but in Norfolk all my life. You won't be old enough to remember Mildenhall Air Shows in the 1980s but they were the good days. I managed to catch the SR-71 flying there along with loads of F4s, F111s, F16s, A10s, some B1s, etc. I managed to see one F117 over Attleborough several years ago (the only one I've seen) too. Norfolk ain't what it used to be now that Alconbury, Coltishall, Bentwaters/Woodbridge and Sculthorpe have all closed, but at least Marham, Lakenheath and Marham - and the occasional Apache from Wattisham - give us an occasional treat!

Cheers

Ian

Hi Matt

I'm down in Attleborough - lived here about 15 years now but in Norfolk all my life. You won't be old enough to remember Mildenhall Air Shows in the 1980s but they were the good days. I managed to catch the SR-71 flying there along with loads of F4s, F111s, F16s, A10s, some B1s, etc. I managed to see one F117 over Attleborough several years ago (the only one I've seen) too. Norfolk ain't what it used to be now that Alconbury, Coltishall, Bentwaters/Woodbridge and Sculthorpe have all closed, but at least Marham, Lakenheath and Marham - and the occasional Apache from Wattisham - give us an occasional treat!

Cheers

Ian

I'm getting on a bit! I've not been here that long, but my Nan lives in Cambs and we used to drive past Alconbury on the way to hers and stop (if we could) to watch the TR-1's and suchlike from there. Its a shame that everything is closing, where I used to live (in the vale of Belvoir in the Midlands) was a low level training area, and we used to get F111's and A10's over quite a lot, as well as RAF Phantoms, Hawks, Jaguars, Buccaneers, Tornados, Vulcans, Hercules (once even one on fire...) and sometimes a Nimrod. Good times sadly missed.

Ok now i'm jealous. I've been a fan of the Ospreys since day one. I've never seen one.....yet. Although our airshows suck here so I may have to go somewhere else if I ever want to see one.

Andrews AFB is coming up in May, they always have one on static display.

Pax River is in September, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have one on static display too.

They usually have one on display at the Cleveland air show Labor day weekend. If you go up on Friday (the best day) and watch the planes come in I've caught them flying a few times. Definitely sound different then anything else.

I like 'em. The AF brings them out for us to play with. Haven't gone down the rope on one, but from my colleagues who've trained on them, its quite a bit different than a blackhawk. Brings a great capability to the table.

Andrews AFB is coming up in May, they always have one on static display.

Pax River is in September, I'd be very surprised if they didn't have one on static display too.

That's a little far for me. Gonna wait for the San Antonio airshow. They got a F-22 Raptor display.

They're getting pretty common over Miramar. I'm starting to not mind the bumper to bumper traffic on the highway when they're doing their rounds. They sure are sexy beasts

Yep, I work in the Torrey Pines area right under the Miramar flight path, and have seen them fly by more and more lately.

There was one parked on the Signature FBO ramp at Boston Logan Airport a couple days ago as we taxyed by. It was buttoned up alongside the various Gulfstreams, Challengers and Hawkers.

I always thought the military was banned in Massachusetts :whistle: