Do not send packages to Canada

Well the Union first did rotating strikes to up the ante at the bargaining table.....this cost Canada Post money so the corporation locked them out which will force the governemnt to order the Union back to work.....thus ending the rotating strike. It was a good tactic to lock the Union out as the corporation knew this would lead to back to work legistration.

It's all tactics by both sides to try to get the upper hand.

Well the Union first did rotating strikes to up the ante at the bargaining table.....this cost Canada Post money so the corporation locked them out which will force the governemnt to order the Union back to work.....thus ending the rotating strike. It was a good tactic to lock the Union out as the corporation knew this would lead to back to work legistration.

It's all tactics by both sides to try to get the upper hand.

POLITICS eh..? :hmmm:

My best inpersonation of RandomCatFacts"In 2011, Canadian prime minister Stephen Harpen adopted a cat. Facebook fans named the PM's new pet "Stanley" as an unofficial mascot for the Vancouver Canucks during their hunt for the Stanley Cup. The Canucks lost to the Boston Bruins in 7 games."

Here is a random cat fact. Cat urine will glow in the dark under a black light. There up the ante lol

Here is a random cat fact. Cat urine will glow in the dark under a black light. There up the ante lol

I'll see your urine and raise you a 10" shoelace!!

If your cat plays with a shoe lace and starts to eat it she cannot cough it up if it is past the end of the tongue. Those little barbs point backwards and aid in drinking, so she is forced to swallow the shoelace!! And it costs $2900 to have it surgically removed!!

My $00.02 worth on the strike, yes it is good to look after your people BUT did no one have a good look at the economic climate?? I agree with Steve there's tactics on both sides you play your trump card when you feel the timing is good. The trouble with a loooooong strike is that nobody wins!!!!!

Why don't we forget the sort of politics here and go to random cat facts so nobody gets their whatever twisted and have the thread locked down?

The crisis... it still ongoing..? grrrr....

Mike HAPPY BIRTHDAY for next week to your MOM... :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks, HOLMES. It'll be my turn to celebrate a couple of weeks later. But I won't be 80. Although there are days when I feel like I am... :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike!!!!

No problem Sean. Even if CP does end their strike next week, or they are legislated back to work, there will probably be a bit of a backlog so it may be just as prudent to send the letter back home with Ed. Either way, hopefully you'll get it sooner rather than later.

My $00.02 worth on the strike, yes it is good to look after your people BUT did no one have a good look at the economic climate??

Well the USPS announced losses for last year and they have been aggressively courting customers with various alluring camapigns......such as their "if it fits......it ships" campaign.

The Canadian Postal Union better be careful.....reduce business means reduced workload and reduced numbers of staff. Although I suspect this is why they went with rotating strikes rather than a full walkout. The post office has little to lose........if they see reduced business.....then they simply reduce staff until the books balance themselves. But such staffing cuts are usually borne by the newest staff.

And there is always the question of whether the Postal Service should be an essential service and remove their right to strike. When the postal service goes on strike.......it does have a negative effect on business and thus the economy. Other Unions are considered essential services and not permitted to strike......such as police and firefighters etc. But I've always felt the current dance is the least intrusive middle of the road solution......they are permitted to strike.....but the government is permitted to legislate them back to work. The whole thing is a dance.....with customers and businesses paying the cost.

Agreed, Steve, all my bills arrive in my inbox vice mailbox. If they cut back on staff it could get to the point where having a very small group of letter carriers delivering a very small amount of mail may not be cost worthy. So CPC may tell everyone that community mail boxes (CMBs) are going to become the norm everywhere!! If that's the case then the only way for the letter carriers to maintain a job is to bid on the contract to maintain the CMBs. If they go to CMBs all around will that change the parcel delivery system? If all parcels go to the CMBs, unless too big or if $$$ is owing, then the folks that did the parcel delivery job may get cut back as well.

I don't work for CPC or the union but you would think the union exec would have gone thru a thought process similar to the above paragraph, eh?

Frankly if the Gov't forces them back to work I will neither be happy or sad, since I have 3 parcels of hobby stuff waiting somewhere in the system.

$00.02 more worth, that's $00.04 now and one random cat fact!!

How about "Anyone who doesn't like cats isn't using the right recipes."

:wave:

Plus I'm flying to Toronto on Tuesday, anybody want me to drop something off?

Edited by junkman3353

My two little ladies, the very short pair that always were fur around the house saw your post. They warned friends in TO, so you may want avoid any cats you see! :whistle::wasntme:

Oooh, it just came to me. My niece has a cat that has never quite trusted me since I stepped on its feet. I consider myself warned. And my niece would NOT think that joke was funny.

Edited by junkman3353

Political? Nahhh, the subject is Canadian so it can't be political. EVERYBODY knows that only discussions about U.S. things, Germany and perhaps some other European national discussions (and apparently burned B-17's for some odd reason) are political. Evrything else is just...hmmm I don't know what you call it. Just simply discussions about the inner workings and theories about governmental dealings and policies...CLEARLY not political.

Bill

Really the only thing that seriously matter to Canadians is Hockey.

Do not send packages to Canada / Full blown mail strike now
I trust that the issue will eventually be resolved so wouldn't it be best to go ahead and ship the packages now?

Won't they sit in customs and be first in line the continue their journey when the strike ends?

:cheers:

I trust that the issue will eventually be resolved so wouldn't it be best to go ahead and ship the packages now?

Won't they sit in customs and be first in line the continue their journey when the strike ends?

:cheers:

One would think so, but are other countries' mail services taking packages for Canada? I was informed over the weekend that the Japanese Post is not accepting mail to Canada until further notice. HLJ has a notice up on their site stating the same thing.

My hope was that my stuff might cover part of the distance. Of course, the fact that it's still sitting at the shipper means less chance for Canada Post to "misplace" (read - lose) it once the mail starts moving again!

I just got a box returned from a trade I made with one of our Canadian friends last week. Came back with no notations on the box either. I assume the routing unit here in Phoenix turned it around to me????

According to the news.....the post office should be back in service later this week.

I think they should fire them all and hire new replacements. Sorry if I sound harsh but I feel in this economy it takes a lot of stupidity to go on strike. As well, the country depends on the mail system too much for this to occur.

Agreed, but its not the union members choice if the union goes on strike. Sure there is a vote, but once the vote is cast you HAVE to go with the winning side or have your tires slashed. Also in my job you sure as heck never scab. That would be the end of any trust you ever had with co-workers.In my current job its a big deal. Trust in your partner in a prison is even more important then it was in my army days. And trust was HUGE in the army.

One of the many reasons I regret the day the Ontario NDP government gave us the "right" to strike 15 or 20 years ago.

You want fun, go into a prison and ruturn the normal routine after a 6 week strike with the inmates getting pizza and smokes to keep them from rioting while you were out on the line.

Even after your demands for a wage increase are met, you never earn back the money lost after 6 weeks with no pay.

At least the wrost thing for the posties is some over time after the strike to get rid of the piles of extra mail from the past 2 weeks.

I just got a box returned from a trade I made with one of our Canadian friends last week. Came back with no notations on the box either. I assume the routing unit here in Phoenix turned it around to me????

....So there is no point ME sending MY parcelto Canada then yet.

Blooming Politics ...Tsk ! :bandhead2: