1/72 Tupolev Tu-22M3 "Backfire" by Trumpeter

The wings and the wing gloves are finished apart from some minor weathering and detail painting. I should be able to join them with the fuselage (which will be decaled next) without harming the paint finishes on both. I decided it would be much easier to work with smaller sub-assemblies than decal, weather and highlight panel lines on a large plane like this in one piece.

013-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

By the possible hull-loss accident mentioned in the topic description I mean this:

016_zpsfa15b642.jpg

I'm not certain yet, but it might be that the front and the rear fuselage parts can be joined together without extensive puttying, sanding and/or repainting. So clean is the separation line.

Just as a word of caution for those building this model: the joint between the front and the rear fuselage isn't very strong (especially if you drop your model...). I had added some strengthening strips inside the joint but now I added even more - and with more strength in the strips themselves.

Hopefully I can save this beast. If it involves heavy repainting, I'll probably ditch the whole c**p.

Janman,

You have put too much excellent work into this project to scrap it now.

Hang on in there and repair it - it's too good to ditch it.

If you need to disguise the repair joint - how about a rolled-up strip of cling-film to disguise it - as though a cover has been rolled back from the intakes over the top of the fuselage.

Something like this......

day02_06.jpg

but in just a narrow strip - as though the cover has been rolled back into a 'sausage' prior to being removed.

Just a thought - it would be a shame not to finish it.

Ken

You have put too much excellent work into this project to scrap it now.

Hang on in there and repair it - it's too good to ditch it.

it would be a (crying) shame not to finish it.

Ken

Hi Janman. Spot on advice by Ken. Put it to one side and come back to it when the feeling of wanting to punch something has passed. Think about it and the solution will come to you.

Regards

John

Shoot... -some kind of dropping accident here Janman? Sorry to hear that. Stick with it -your build is too good to not finish.

As I mentioned earlier in your build-topic, I have this kit and the NeO 'pit and the burner ring you have.

I've actually just finished it -inspired by some of the things you have done and also others building the same one.

I'll post my build pics on this site today -although I need to take some finished article ones now and post them later.

As you found the forward and rear join could be better. I did mine different form yourself by joining the cockpit to the rear less the engine nascelles -this allowed me to reach into the fuselage and add re-inforcement. This did cause a fitting issue then with the nascelles, but at least it meant I got a strong join.

I'll post a link when my build pics are up.

Edited by Lunatech

Hi Janman,

I was looking around today, for various things and when I visited the "in-progress" thread I saw this: "21,619 Views".

Now, I said to myself "this guy must be doing something really well in order to have so many views, and when I open it, " :jaw-dropping: WOW!!!!

Fantastic work man. Can't wait to see it finished.

Keep up the good work.

Sernak

Jan, i'm sorry to hear about the structural failure at the fuselage splice point. Happens to real airplanes too, like the F-105 and F-15.

A suggestion i'd like to make is if you can re-glue the sections together, see if you can mask off the painted fore and aft sections along some transverse panel (bulkhead) lines. Then try to keep the sanding and filling as confined as possible. When you go back to re-paint, the affected area may not be so noticeable since the repainted area falls along known bulkhead and panel lines. matching the paint may be a little toublesome, but with an iteration or two of getting the paint right, some clear gloss and a panel line wash i'll bet you can disguise the fix.

Have you discussed with with General Melchett over at Britmodeller.com? He knows the kit well.

DON'T GIVE UP.

HTH,

david

• 1 year later...

Damn! The last update is from 2012!

Well, I can tell you I've actually been working with this kit for a couple of weeks now. The fuselage is back in one piece, even the paint job has been restored. I've also started to work with Amodels's Kh-22. The landing gears are basically finished (wheels painted and glued in place etc.), the wing assemblies are more or less ready to be joined with fuselage. I'll post some pics this week!

And here we go. Restored fuselage after the near-fatal crash. The original paint job was done with a colour mixed by me, so getting a right shade of grey took some time - and attempts. Some variation luckily doesn't matter that much since I had originally painted some panels with a bit different mix to get a more lively look. Overall this won't be a very worn out bird though. The most probable decal option will be some Soviet era machine.

014-1.jpg

012-4.jpg

The belly shows more of that above mentioned panel color variation, but that's mainly due to the fact that the panels near the seam got more paint layers from the spray can.

017-5.jpg

Edited by janman

Does it have to be? Is there a caveat I should know of..? :)/> Although having something removable on a kit this big can't hurt.

That way, if a set of better detailed/more accurate landing gear gets replaced, you can easily swap them over.

Hint.

Hint.

(I'm trying to be subtle here; you're not helping ;))