The Kiowa Warrior Project

Well after a long hiatus sense the burnout of building two Fireball Modelworks AH-1S Cobra's My link , it's time to get back to work. I have been watching all the OH-58D action lately, I am inspired to do a build I have been putting off for years. I have always wanted to do a Kiowa Warrior, and with all the great aftermarket products coming out I think it's time.

Products either on hand or on order:

2 MRC 1/35 OH-58D Kits

1 AFV Club 1/35 OH-58D kit

1 Zactomodels MMS

1 Werner's Wings MPLH gear

1 Cutting Edge OH-58D upgrade set

Floyd Werner's OH-58D walk around book.

All the aircraft technical manuals ( the P being the most useful)

I am planning to use many techniques by fellow modeler's builds here, especially the master Eastern (Alexander) and many others. Then add my own personal insaneness for detail and I hope to create another work of art. I plan to get updated photos at least weekly but I will try not to bore you with things other modelers have already done here. I also hope to get help from our fellow KW folks here when the need arises. There are just some parts of the aircraft that are not well photographed. Okay, enough babbling it's time for me to get my shop cleaned up and see what has dried up over the last year. On with the Kiowa Warrior Project.

Edited by gistsc

Hi Scott,

Welcome to KW Builders' Club. :)

Having collected a whole bunch of KW afermarket stuff you have all the credentials to build a great model. :thumbsup:;)

I'll be following with much interest.

And thank you for giving me credit. :salute:

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

p.s. BTW, some more upgrades are yet to come. ;)

Edited by Eastern

Alexander

p.s. BTW, some more upgrades are yet to come. ;)

Coolness, I can't wait to see what goodies are to come. I tell you about two years ago I would not have thought we would see the quality of upgrades we have now. I am so happy to see this kit revived.

Well, I have parts showing up now so the start is comming. I recieved the AFV Club OH-58D, the Fireball Modelworks ALQ-144, and the Zactomodels MMS and pitch change horns.

6166457340_6bb35392f4.jpg

_GIS1700 by KiowaMan, on Flickr

My first observation is the difference in forward cowl designs between the old Cutting Edge set and the resin castings that come with the AFV Club kit. The one with the AFV Club kit is better detailed, rivets, access doors, and instpection windows. I am not so sure about the shape though, it just doesn't look right to me. I also like the fact the AVF cowl has the forward firewall cast in. I will have to do some reserch here and see what cowl is more correct. Also I have Floyd's update set comming but I don't know if there is any difference between it and the Cutting Edge set.

6165922749_719d942685.jpg

_GIS1698 by KiowaMan, on Flickr

6165922697_da1e119df6.jpg

_GIS1699 by KiowaMan, on Flickr

6166456972_4b45fa363e.jpg

_GIS1697 by KiowaMan, on Flickr

The Fireball Modelworks ALQ-144 is spot on. I can't find any issues with it. The set comes with one 1/32 and one in 1/35. Looks like mine came with two 1/32 castings though, will have to get with Joseph on that. (UPDATE) I missread the listing on the website where it says the 1/32 ALQ-144 is suitable for a 1/35. So I guess I have the right one. Will do some scale compairisons and see what we come up with.

6166457210_e129a11a88.jpg

_GIS1701 by KiowaMan, on Flickr

The Zactomodels MMS and pitch change horns are as expected. This is some of the best resin castings I have ever purchased. Very detailed set.

6165922391_50907c561d.jpg

_GIS1702 by KiowaMan, on Flickr

6165922277_74f508e857.jpg

_GIS1703 by KiowaMan, on Flickr

After weeks of looking over the MRC kit and trying to decide where to start. I think I will start with the interior details, cockpit, backseats/avionics area, and the rear avionics bay. I see plastic being cut by the end of the week.

Edited by gistsc

When Floyd got his Kiowa masters back from Cutting Edge, he revised the cowl and added more detail. The shape of Floyd's cowl is practically perfect. There are a couple of other differences between the original Cutting Edge set and the version that Floyd sells now, most notably the new Blue Force antenna. Have you decided what marking scheme you are going to use? There are all kinds of details with antennas and such that are variable depending on the individual subject.

When Floyd got his Kiowa masters back from Cutting Edge, he revised the cowl and added more detail. The shape of Floyd's cowl is practically perfect. There are a couple of other differences between the original Cutting Edge set and the version that Floyd sells now, most notably the new Blue Force antenna. Have you decided what marking scheme you are going to use? There are all kinds of details with antennas and such that are variable depending on the individual subject.

All I can say is that when I did the masters for the original forward cowling I was actually in the hangar with a real Warrior. I think it is pretty close. The Werner's Wings cowling is revised as I forgot to put all the detail into the Cutting Edge one, well didn't forget just didn't have time. Dave got it directly from my work bench and said he'd finish it for me, but didn't. The Werner's Wings has armored side panels that are missing in the kit and Cutting Edge offering. The Blue Force Antenna is new as well. I think there is something else that I had to master but can't remember what it is right now.

I'm excited to see this build. I also recently purchased the AFV Club Kiowa Warrior. I won't talk about it on the forum because of a conflict of interest, but if you hit me up personally I'll give you my opinion.

Floyd

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update, I've been in the hospital for a week and a half. So that's why no updates lately, but am back at it. I also have a commission build running side by side with this build, but it should not affect my progress to much.

I have been continuing working on the cockpit section of the aircraft. I scratch built the dash structure and added details such as holes for the rudder peddle tubes, the four small avionics boxes (not sure what they are), and holes for wiring.

6217130300_9958fa5192.jpg

_GIS1720 by gistsc, on Flickr

6216613577_414004f7c6.jpg

_GIS1716 by gistsc, on Flickr

I also added the CABS to the windscreen, just needs some bolt heads added and they will be finished.

6216613609_83c91f56fb.jpg

_GIS1718 by gistsc, on Flickr

6216613715_b53a2b8b5e.jpg

_GIS1721 by gistsc, on Flickr

I opened up the aft avionics compartment so it goes all the way through the fuse. Going to add airframe structure and avionics later.

6217130158_1d9426fa8d.jpg

_GIS1715 by gistsc, on Flickr

Opened up the front battery box so I can add the ICS panel and battery.

6217130268_a26cc0f69f.jpg

_GIS1719 by gistsc, on Flickr

That's it for now. Off to sniff more glue.

Oh man this is gonna be nice. I like the build frenzy of Kiowa's on the forums and they make my half-a**ed attempt at making models look childish. Are you going to open up everything?

That's the plan. I want to have the rear doors off, the rear avionics bay open, the batter box open, front doors off, engine doors open, possibly the front and rear cowlings off.

A little more progress today. Got the seat boxes done and started the seat back bulkhead. Also got in .50 gun barrels so I had to start on the gun. I decided my Kiowa will have a GAU-19.

6219177005_b35bfd9b9b.jpg

_GIS1722 by gistsc, on Flickr

6219698582_d315cfc7c4.jpg

_GIS1723 by gistsc, on Flickr

Thought I would throw in the commission build I mentioned earlier. Its a Revell 1/48 F/A-18F in the VFA-102 50th anniversary CAG bird.

6219177113_05501f2493.jpg

_GIS1725 by gistsc, on Flickr

Hi Scott,

Nice progress so gar!

Keep us posted.

Superb progress on the Kiowa. Between you, Alex and Pappy 121, you guys make me want to do another Kiowa.

Oliver

Hey Oliver,

Considering to join KW kinda GB? ;) He-he, just have your Huey completed first. :rolleyes:

But, if you use Floyd Werner's and my (via Zactomodels) improvements, I think you would have all what takes to build it easily and fast then. ;)

Alexander

Edited by Eastern

Hi Scott,

Nice progress so gar!

Keep us posted.

Hey Oliver,

Considering to join KW kinda GB? ;) He-he, just have your Huey completed first. :rolleyes:

But, if you use Floyd Werner's and my (via Zactomodels) improvements, I think you would have all what takes to build it easily and fast then. ;)

Alexander

Hi Alexander.

It will be too easy for Oliver if he uses all your improvements... :shoot:

However, I must think about myself, I feel a little lazy last time.

Great job Alexander

Norbert